SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : perspective

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 Next Page )
PosterThread

perspective

My cousin sent me this and I thought you all would be interested.

If we could shrink the earth's population to a village of precisely 100 people, with all the existing human ratios remaining the same, it would look something like the following:

There would be:

57 Asians

21 Europeans

14 from the Western Hemisphere, both north and south

8 Africans

52 would be female

48 would be male

70 would be nonwhite

30 would be white

70 would be non-Christian

30 would be Christian

89 would be heterosexual

11 would be homosexual

6 people would possess 59% of the entire world's wealth and all 6 would be from the United States.

80 would live in substandard housing

70 would be unable to read

50 would suffer from malnutrition

1 would be near death; 1 would be near birth

1 (yes, only 1) would have a college education

1 would own a computer

When one considers our world from such a compressed perspective, the need for acceptance, understanding and education becomes glaringly apparent.

The following is also something to ponder...

If you woke up this morning with more health than illness...you are more blessed than the million who will not survive this week.

If you have never experienced the danger of battle, the loneliness of imprisonment, the agony of torture, or the pangs of starvation ... you are ahead of 500 million people in the world.

If you can attend a church meeting without fear of harassment, arrest, torture, or death...you are more blessed than three billion people in the world.

If you have food in the refrigerator, clothes on your back, a roof overhead and a place to sleep...you are richer than 70% of this world.

If you have money in the bank, in your wallet, and spare change in a dish someplace you are among the top 8% of the world's wealthy.

If your parents are still alive and still married ... you are very rare, even in the United States and Canada.

If you can read this message, you just received a double blessing in that someone was thinking of you, and furthermore, you are more blessed than over two billion people in the world that cannot read at all.

Kinda makes you appreciate all that God has done for us.

Bubbaguy

2005/4/28 14:40
Globachio

Baltimore

Re: perspective

>>>11 would be homosexual

2005/4/28 14:50Profile
rickyy38

Re:

This is exactly why our faith needs to be of an inclusive nature. We tend to think inside our little boxes about who God is, and what a Christian is. Interesting that 70% of the world does not fit in our boxes.

Ricky

2005/4/28 15:08Profile

Re: perspective

only Jesus can change this Bubba, and the problem I have with your witness is, I don't feel that you believe that.

Only Jesus can change the sin and the inquities of the world.

No amount of teary-eyed secular liberal do-gooders and one-worlders will EVER change the rulership of the god of this age.

should we bring water to the thirsty and bread to the hungry?

yes!! Both kinds of bread and water(Living and physical), but we do it in the Name of Jesus, for He is the Prince of Peace.

ignore that, and you labor in vain.

2005/4/28 15:28
rickyy38

Re:

Neilgin1,

We should feed the poor and hungry. But we also need more tolerance of diversity. I think the point Bubbaguy was making is that we do not have the corner on ultimate knowledge, we Americans.

Ricky

2005/4/28 15:33Profile

Re:

Neilgin1,

Personally, I think that if you wear Jesus on your sleeve you will turn more people away than you help. We should work to imitate and follow after Christ and then when people ask about our beliefs we can tell them the about the saving Grace of Jesus and the Word of God.

To put religion out there first an in their face is arrogant and self-proclaiming. "here sinner, I will save you"!!

But this was not the point and Ricky got that.

Bubbaguy

2005/4/28 15:54
PreachParsly

Arkansas

Re:

Quote:
we can tell them the about the saving Grace of Jesus and the Word of God.

Bubbaguy
Your meaning the literal Word of God? Like as the Bible says it? I am curious how do you witness to people since you do not agree that the Bible is literal?

2005/4/28 16:16Profile
rickyy38

Re:

Quote:
I am curious how do you witness to people since you do not agree that the Bible is literal?

PreachParsy,

My brother, some of it is literal, some of it is allegorical. Where science has seemed to contradict the Bible, we know those parts are allegorical. Creation is a great example. Evolution has proven that the creation story was allegorical. Much like a parable.

Most of the Bible is literal. But even you would agree that most of the book of the Revelation is allegorical, correct?

Ricky

2005/4/28 16:26Profile

Re:

Parsly,
I don't want to divert this thread to another long discussion on the inerrancy and literalness of the Bible. That said, my point is not that the Bible is unreliable, because the writers did speak from conviction of the Truth of God as they received it. It is interpretation that we disagree upon.

Moreover there are many who work to bring others to Jesus that do not believe in a literal Genesis. They keep the focus on what is important; the saving Grace of God.

I also think you are placing demands upon God when you require a literal Bible. God in a box!!?? It's just not that simple.

The important thing to know is that we are hugely blessed and have a duty to share this with others. God will make your openings to bring people to Him. Don't force it.

Bub

2005/4/28 16:28

Ricky

I'm not even concerned about "americans" or non-americans, ultimate knowledge is this:

Jesus Christ and Him crucified.

Has nothing to do with politics, nor north-south resource inequities, it has to do with the dividing line between Light and darkness.

The other day, did you see that picture of a Togo policeman kicking a suspected looter in the head?

we could say that the recent unrest in Togo is the fruit of a neo-colonist system unraveling, I say it's a manifestation of a world that lacks the Love of Christ.

I ask you this next question, not in a spirit of meanness, or churlishness, but of exhortation, do you right now, work to feed the poor in the community that God has you in? Feed them with both physical food and the Living Food of Christ?

2005/4/28 16:49

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy