SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Articles and Sermons : Thoughts and feedback for a young preacher

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
PosterThread
JHerndon

Bonifay,Fl

Thoughts and feedback for a young preacher

http://vimeo.com/108585102

2015/3/11 14:50Profile
dolfan

Tennessee, but my home's in Alabama

Re: Thoughts and feedback for a young preacher

You are a good looking kid (no offense meant by kid).

You are able to speak confidently before a room of people.

You have a desire to preach.

You love the Word of God and you love talking about the Word of God.

There's no reason in the world why you can't be a preacher.

But, are you looking for reasons in the world why you should be?

Where are you, Joshua, with your aloneness with God? Where are you with deep travailing prayer? Where are you, young brother, with confessing the deepest things in your heart to Him in secret place? Where are you with pouring out your soul to Him -- NOT to give you your desires, but to take away all desire except what He would put into you by the Holy Spirit? How are you doing with that? What can you speak about to that issue? Maybe you've arrived at Gethsemane to submit yourself to the Father, but have you walked from that garden with the resignation that the only way to please Him is to die (to yourself)? Have you left the place of prayer while leaving on the ground with your tears every right and every claim on any and every thing in your life?

Until you do, until you have, speak sparingly. Prepare yourself, brother. There is a lot to do in you that has not been done yet. You are a sweet guy and you look like someone that I'd like to get to know. You're personable and you're probably a good friend to people. Reject the applause and accolades, even the smallest ones, of those who love you. Keep a short memory on them. God will have you look to Him alone as the one to please and measure to.

These are the last days. The urgency of the need of men of prayer and the word is so great that all the pulpits in all the churches in all the world cannot scratch the surface. Your going is not for the pulpit, perhaps. Your going may be for other less public venues, maybe even private places where no one will applaud you. Maybe your pulpit is that place of rejection where no one will hear you but you must go forth in faith anyway. If the prospect of rejection does not excite you as much as the prospect of acceptance in ministry, stop and weigh your sense of calling to this ministry of the Word. Maybe you are flesh driven and the idea of being paid to be a dynamic speaker and writer and blogger and pastor and buddy appeals to you, and it seems right and good because it is "all for Jesus". Do not be deceived. The days are here when you are going to have to stand in the power of the Holy Ghost and in the grip of hellish men and women who will never accept your message.

Joshua, what has God said to you about such things? If nothing, or not much, or if you can't put your finger on it, then stop. Do not consider yourself ready for anything yet. There is so much to do around you, though.

Pulpiteering has seen its day. The sun is setting on it. You are a young man. Pray. Seek God. Spend as much time as you can alone with God in the early morning hours before your wife awakes or the late night hours after she sleeps. Listen to the older men of God whose lessons and sermons are on this website. For you, I would bathe myself in Paul Washer and Carter Conlon and A.W. Tozer, because God speaks through them mightily to young men like you. Forget about who is charismatic or Pentecostal (I saw you preached at an AG church; I was an AG member once, too and love them). In your more spare time, listen to Duncan Campbell and Vance Havner and David Wilkerson (I know they're old school but you need some old school). Structure your study with men like Chuck Smith or J. Vernon McGee. In doing so, you will begin to spiritually and scripturally prepare yourself and the Spirit of God can move with power through your teaching.

And, when I say teaching, I don't mean pulpiteering. I mean one on one-ing or one with ten-ing. Pour into them what God has poured into you. Oh, that God will make you as serious about Him as He would have you to be.

And, your wife. She will come behind that strong lead because the Holy Ghost will do something in you that she perceives as strength and security. She wants -- whether she knows it or not yet in her youth -- a husband who knows God in truth and spirit, and when you get to know Him this way she will join you and you will have more agreement and unity with her than you've imagined could be.

2015/3/11 16:36Profile
JHerndon

Bonifay,Fl

Re:

Thanks so much for your words. And to answer one of your questions the money and fame that is out there for famous preachers is not what I'm looking for. I have a great desire to do what the Lord has called me to. I don't want to just do for Christ but I want to do well! I guess my biggest struggle is trying to figure out what exactly it is He wants me to do. I have grown to love preaching the word but I feel my skills are under developed. I'm just trying not to miss any opportunity to preach the gospel or share my faith. I don't have a lot of ability. Not this great speaker and no college education but what I do have is this overwhelming desire to give myself to a group of people. I can feel this weight for teenagers that are growing up in
an "American Christianity" that is almost entirely wrong. I can feel this burden for people who sit in churches all across this country week after week and are conformed to a pattern of religion and know nothing about a relationship with Jesus. I want to show people that there is a relationship to be had with Jesus Christ! But again think you for your words! I already listen to Paul washer, conolon, and Wilkerson. I also like Matt chandler and Francis chan and Dick Brogden. I will check out the others you mentioned. Thanks again and thanks for your prayers!

2015/3/11 17:06Profile

Re:

Since you started the thread about your wife. I'd suggest that you focus on that.

Also, improving speaking skills is needed in almost every profession. I'd suggest you check out Toastmasters. One of my youth pastors inspired me so much, I asked him to be my mentor. Soon enough, I found out, he was a DSM at Toastmasters. He refined his oratory skills and it made an impact on me and others in our youth group.

2015/3/11 17:12
TMK

NC, USA

Re:

If you are anointed to preach, you will say what the HS wants you to say and how to say it. You don't need seminary or speech classes for that.

Listening to other preachers has some value, but it may be more valuable to read about what was BEHIND their preaching.

I will repeat a story here that I have told on the forum before. A bible teacher I like used to preach billy graham sermons he had on LP records in his high school speech class. You could get away with that then. However, no one got saved.

The the Jesus movement revival hit in CA and he got baptized in the spirit at Chuck Smiths early church.

The next time he preached a Billy Graham sermon in his speech class kids got saved, even though his style did not. The same was true of the Christian band he played in; no results before but tons of results after.

2015/3/11 17:20Profile
TimmyJoe

Panama City, FL

Re: Thoughts and feedback for a young preacher

Good looking kid. Terrible doctrine.

2015/3/12 16:56Profile
sermonindex

Canada

Online!
 Re:

Quote:
Good looking kid. Terrible doctrine.

Brother,

I would encourage you to consider a more graceful approach to list some of the things you feel he could have been more doctrinally accurate with. I listened to just a few minutes and of what I heard it was fine and he was speaking that all believers are to be evangelists and make disciples of all Nations.

2015/3/12 17:07Profile
TimmyJoe

Panama City, FL

Re:

Lol sorry. I was just picking on him. He is my brother.

2015/3/12 17:34Profile
bro_willy

Re:

I agree, you are a very good looking young man. The sexual temptation on the evangelistic field will be tough for you. Pray that you will have a girded mind, clear and focused on The Lord. I don't agree that there are any real problems with your doctrine. You are on your way to being a fantastic minister. Just be prepared to flee like Joseph from the women who seek your loins.

2015/3/12 21:15Profile
Sree

Re:

I did not see your video. But I have been in your place. I like to hear good sermons. I longed to have revelation from Bible that I heard from other speakers. But when I received Baptism of Holy Spirit, I started getting many revelations from Bible. Bible became a different book to me. I can just turn the Bible and start preaching on a topic with many illustrations just flowing out of me. I badly wanted a Pulpit to show others how much revelations I get. But I hardly got any opportunity.

In my Church they do not allow unmarried people to share messages other than testimony. I got married soon, but I did not get more than 5 minutes to share which did not justify the revelations that I got.

I started to get depressed by this, I asked Lord why he is giving me all these revelations without opening a door to serve him. I got the answer that the Candle has no right to complain. If it is lit, then it should continue giving light, instead of saying place me in the pulpit then I will give light to others. Even if the person who lit me put me under a basket, I have to remain quiet and continue shining. Then I put all my anxiousness on the Lord. Because he said that no one will put the light under the table. Hence he will also not do it, one day he will bring me to pulpit, if the light is real.

Today by his mercy I get frequent chance to share. People recognize my gift. But in all the past years, God taught me so many things about keeping quiet. How to be humble. How just head knowledge cannot help others, but a overflowing life.

Today I speak not to prove a point but to help others. I ask God directly what he wants me to share, I share it plainly without trying to impress anyone. I do not believe that any speaking skill is needed if you have the gift. I am not a natural speaker, I do not want to be in limelight, I still struggle in giving professional presentation to large group. But when I am asked to share God's word, it is a different story, I am not at all ashamed, because it is his word not mine. I know and I have confidence in him that he will strengthen me. My only fear like Apostle Paul had is, not to preach anything from my own but peach only what Jesus wants me to . It is still a struggle.

2015/3/13 9:25Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy