SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : I am a worm and no man? (edited)

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
docs

I am a worm and no man? (edited)

Somehow and in some way it seems that I was taught that I am supposed to relate to myself as a Christian always bearing in mind I am a sinner saved by grace and am still prone to sin. Not sin like I once did. But without even really realizing it is going on I have been taught in a way to always abhor yourself each morning and realize you can still be a stench to God and after we are all just worms and no man. In conversations with the pastor here recently and a few others who love to sit and ruminate on the things of God we have been speaking of keeping in mind we are sinners saved by grace but yet we have been speaking also about considering what happened to the old man at the cross. Saying it succintly, our old man and old selves were KILLED at the cross if we really believe scripture's testimony! What a marvelous way God has done things. The value of Calvary is way way beyond our comprehension for now but as we try to embrace its effects one thing for sure that we can count on is the old self met his demise there. And yet it takes faith each moment and day to keep walking by this fact.

In our discussions, as we have acknowledged this is basic truth most Christians are taught from almost from day one, we have been discussing again how to relate to the new man in Christ. It all comes back to faith but we have realized a lot of our efforts in our walk may consists of still trying to fix up and rehabilitate the old man. If we can get the old man to quit doing this or doing that we can then walk in the Spirit. But why try to fix up something Christ killed at Calvary? It's the new man that doesn't do this or do that and prays more than the old man.

The new person in Christ is not a stench in God's nostrils. It is created in righteousness and true holiness. When you attempt to walk in the new man God can very well carry on a relationship with you without constantly reminding you you are a sinner. Is it wrong to say God is close to and likes the new man in Christ? If I'm constantly relating to my old man ("I'm just a worm and no man") then can we inadverdently be denying the reality of the new man? I don't want to relate any longer to the old man and always go about thinking I'm still a stench to God. It ain't so with the new man. I can't wake up each day abhoring myself.

As I embrace the new man each new day (thereby embracing the cross each new day) I'm finding a rest of sorts that I haven't experienced in a while. Something is just different and easier and it is easier to see and realize God's care for me. You may be thinking thanks for what, that was just a Basic 101 course we all have been through. But I've found I may have been working on training my old man so as to rehabilitate him so he will act differently and then I can embrace the new man. Bypass all that effort at rehab or the old man is what I would exhort you to do. The old man isn't interested. He would rather sin. Accept the complete death of the worthless old man at the cross and put on by faith the new man. When you wake up in the morning and put the new man on (or keep him on since you were wearing him when you went to sleep) then you are a delight and sweet aroma to God that He loves relating to and caring for. I just want to exhort you good saints. I'm not advocating the sinless perfection of saints in this life but there is REST in relating to the new and a greater depth of relationship with God that has suprised even me after all these years.

"If any man is in Christ, he is a new creature; the old things passed away; behold, new things have come." (II Cor 5:17)

"and put on the new self which in the likeness of God has been created in righteousness and holiness of the truth." (Ephe 4:24)

"and have put on the new self who is being renewed to a true knowledge according to the image of the One who created him." (Col 3:10)

Maybe it helped a little. Blessings to your new person in Christ this day.

2015/2/2 9:08Profile
yuehan

Re: I am a worm and no man?

Thanks for sharing this. It was great edification - though it could certainly do with better paragraph formatting!

Reminds me of an old thread on SermonIndex which discussed "worm theology": (search for 'worm' in the thread)

https://www.sermonindex.net/modules/newbb/viewtopic_pdf.php?topic_id=42741&forum=35

2015/2/2 10:48Profile
docs

Thanks yuehan

I'll try and take a look at the link you provided.

Meanwhile, I didn't try and rehab the old paragraph format. I just killed it off!

2015/2/2 11:10Profile
yuehan

Re: Thanks yuehan

Quote:
Meanwhile, I didn't try and rehab the old paragraph format. I just killed it off!

Haha, the old has indeed passed away - behold the new!

2015/2/2 14:04Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy