SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Devotional Thoughts : Be Filled With the Spirit

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
AbideinHim

Louisiana

Be Filled With the Spirit

I am not writing this to embark on a theological discussion of the Baptism of the Holy Spirit. There are many denominations that teach that you receive the Holy Spirit at salvation, while others teach that there is another infilling of the Holy Spirit after salvation as taught in the book of Acts.

The point is this: What is your present state? Are you filled with the Holy Spirit now? Do you have power in your life to fulfill the ministry that the Lord has called you to now?

Just because someone was baptized in the Holy Spirit 20 years ago doesn't mean that they are still filled with the Spirit.

We must drink of the water of life daily, coming to Jesus, who is the fountain of living water. All those that are thirsty can come to Jesus and drink from the river that never runs dry. Jesus said that out of your belly (spirit) shall flow rivers of living water. The Lord does not only want to fill us with His Spirit, but it is His will that we would be a channel of life that the living water of His Spirit can flow through so that others can drink and be filled.

Being filed with the Spirit is a continuous filling that comes out of our daily fellowship with God.

"And be not drunk with wine, wherein is excess; but be filled with the Spirit;
Speaking to yourselves in psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, singing and making melody in your heart to the Lord;
Giving thanks always for all things unto God and the Father in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ. (Ephesians 5:18-20).

2015/1/21 8:37Profile
Oracio

Whittier CA USA

Re: Be Filled With the Spirit

Good post that both cessationists and coninuationists can agree on imo :)

2015/1/21 15:49Profile
Lysa

East TN for now!

Quote:
AbideinHim wrote:
The point is this: What is your present state? Are you filled with the Holy Spirit now? Do you have power in your life to fulfill the ministry that the Lord has called you to now?

Just because someone was baptized in the Holy Spirit 20 years ago doesn't mean that they are still filled with the Spirit.

Brother, I couldn't agree with you more! Sanctification is not a one time event, it occurs through out our service to our Lord.

This reminded of the saying that "if you are not moving forward in Christ, you are moving backwards, there is no standing still." Your post reminded me of that.

Thank you for the reminder.

God bless,
Lisa

2015/1/21 16:51Profile
AbideinHim

Louisiana

Re:

"This reminded of the saying that "if you are not moving forward in Christ, you are moving backwards, there is no standing still." Your post reminded me of that."

Lysa, I wrote this post primarily to two different camps. One says that they have the fullness of the Holy Spirit at salvation, but yet there is no power in their life and ministry. The other says, that they were baptized in the Holy Spirt and spoke in tongues many years ago, have laid hands on the sick and cast out devils, and yet they are as mean as the devil and are very much lacking in the fruit of the Spirit.

Oracio, I am glad that we can be in agreement!

2015/1/21 17:10Profile
Oracio

Whittier CA USA

Re:

Quote:
Oracio, I am glad that we can be in agreement!

Amen! But in case there might be a misunderstanding on the part of some reading this thread, I do not strictly or technically identify with cessationism even though I like much teaching and preaching that comes from that camp.

2015/1/21 17:24Profile
murrcolr

Scotland, UK

Re:

Quote: the point is this: What is your present state? Are you filled with the Holy Spirit now? Do you have power in your life to fulfill the ministry that the Lord has called you to now?

Do we truly know what our presents state is or has sin blinded us to our condition, have we overcome Sin in our life; or are we being deceived.

Is Sin whispering, deep within our heart; you can't be free from sin in a one time event as thats just impossible, it to hard, it can never be, you can never be free until you die; and the christian is left defeated and remains in their drowsy slumber unaware that death has become their saviour.

Do we Christians hear the knocking on the door; will we answer and say who is there? Will we listen to the answer "It is Jesus and I will save my People from their sins"

Will we open that door and let our saviour in and drive the Sin from us, will we trust him with our whole life and allow ourselves to be so filled with the Spirit of God, that we have to ask God to stay his hand as it seems you can't contain the blessing he will pour out on us. Will we allow him to keep us blameless without spot or wrinkle until he the Lord Jesus Christ returns?

2015/1/22 4:22Profile
rufnrust

Indiana

"And be not drunk with wine, wherein is excess; but be filled with the Spirit;
Speaking to yourselves in psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, singing and making melody in your heart to the Lord;
Giving thanks always for all things unto God and the Father in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ. (Ephesians 5:18-20).

I love this portion because it shows that a 'singing', 'grateful' heart is one sure sign of a spirit filled person.

Russell

2015/1/22 8:02Profile
AbideinHim

Louisiana

Re:

"Be filled with the Spirit." (Ephesians 5:18)

•• Various Greek scholars and bible commentators point out that the Greek present imperative tense is used in this verse. It has the connotation of a continuous replenishment, an ongoing and repeated filling.
• It has been suggested by some that an awkward but accurate translation would be something like: “...go on being filled.”

Jesus will give us this living water of life daily
if we would come to Him thirsty and dry and
drink deeply from the River where there
is a vast supply.

2015/1/22 10:05Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy