SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : The dangers of television

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
PosterThread
PreachParsly

Arkansas

Re: The Twenty-Third Channel

Thats great Received. Thanks.

2005/5/1 22:08Profile
Compton

Re:

whew. I'm sure glad this thread isn't about video and computer games. :-P

MC

2005/5/1 23:38Profile
MrBillPro

Texas

Re:

I don't think there is anything wrong with the television as long as it's used properly, If you drive your car down the road at 100 mph.it could be just as dangerous as your TV it's all about how you use it, I do not agree with these Christians that try and force their beliefs about the TV on everyone else, I just believe that they could not overcome the effects of it so they shut it down, and they think everyone else should follow them, I personally was led to the Lord by a TV Pastor
and have no intentions of turning off my TV. We all have a free will this is God given and God knows that some can deal with different issues better than others, Anyone who looks to the Bible quickly recognizes that there is no loss of drama, no lack of intensity.

2005/5/2 0:14Profile
MrBillPro

Texas

Re:

Quote:

CJaKfOrEsT wrote:
"For many families, the television is their life support system" - Leonard Ravenhill (paraphrased)

Mr. Ravenhill is just voicing an opinion here that does not make his opinion right! no more than if we voiced ours, he is equal to us in Gods eyes and puts his pants on one leg at a time just like us.
My pastor would say thank God they have something keeping them alive. :-P

2005/5/2 0:20Profile

Re:

There was once a great piece online called "The Stranger". It was about the time that "dad" brought home a tv. I cannot find it now. Anyone else out there have it? If so, would you please post it here.
If you want to find out who holds on to tv in an idolatry fashion, just bring up a thread like this one. No, there is absolutely nothing wrong with the invention of tv. Thank God for it. But if it comes on a cable, satelite, or over the air waves, it does more harm than good.
I remember when my family got it's first tv. I also remember what life was like before tv. Oh God take us back to that day. Our lives, and the lives of this nation changed forever in a very negative way. Nothing has so caused the moral conviction of this land to slide like tv. No other devise has anethetized the spirit of evangelism like tv. Before you whine about all the good evangelists on tv, let me remind you that it is you and I who are to take the Gospel to our neighbor, not some tv hot shot. We are to live the bible before them and the be a blessing to them in every way possible. That is the spreading of the Gospel, not some cop out tv thing.
Saints, we have two riches that are hardly ever mentioned. One is health, and the other is time. TV is a pathetic waste of both of these resources. It's high time someone said so.
One thing more, I really liked the play of the 23rd Psalm that someone posted above. Can you face the obvious truth, beloved? Or do you defend that which you love and have passion for? TV program is designed by fornicators, adulterers, liars, homosexuals, extorters, theives, and every other vile thing there is. It is very subtle and very seductive. It is extremely deceptive, even what is called "christian tv".
Thank God for the video sermons and the good uses for tv technology. But you better have a discerning spirit. You had better search the scriptures daily, to see if these "things" be so.

2005/5/2 9:24
PreachParsly

Arkansas

Re:

I've heard Ray Comfort tell this story:
Ray went a bought a TV for his kids and the first day he came home, instead of the kids running to meet him they were in front of the TV. We went up to the TV and unplugged it. He told them that what they did was not right. They were loving the gift more than the giver.

2005/5/2 11:08Profile
MrBillPro

Texas

Re:

Quote:

PreachParsly wrote:
I've heard Ray Comfort tell this story:
Ray went a bought a TV for his kids and the first day he came home, instead of the kids running to meet him they were in front of the TV. We went up to the TV and unplugged it. He told them that what they did was not right. They were loving the gift more than the giver.

I am sorry for Ray, but we have 5 tv's and my kids greet me everyday at the door and tell me they how much they love me, kinda strange that notoriety folks always have these kind of things happen to them, were they can get their story out to the public sometimes makes you wonder. ;-)

2005/5/2 22:37Profile
tinluke

New England USA

Re: "intervention"

In responce to the question about the show "intervention". I did watch the show once. In the episode I saw there was a young women who was sexually abused as a child. As a result of the abuse she would cut herself as a way of "cleansing" herself. As I watched the show I prayed that she would come to know Jesus as her Savior. And I prayed that by His blood she would be set free, washed clean of her pain and shame and made new because of His sacrafice.

I believe God honors our prayers even for people that we see on TV, but I also think we should be very careful and not make this our motivation for watching TV. I believe that TV is a dangerous trap! How many times have you turned on the TV for "just a second" to catch the weather and before you know it an hour or two have gone by? Those are hours wasted! Hours we could have been reading the Word or seaking the face of our precious Lord Jesus!

2005/5/2 23:28Profile
PreachParsly

Arkansas

Re:

All my story was pointing out is that to love a TV more than God is idolatry. I didn't say it was to watch TV. But I belive that whatever you spend the most time thinking about is what you really love. Whether that be yourself, TV, or whatever.

2005/5/3 0:02Profile
AgesofWar

Chicago IL USA

Re:

TV is Satans way of giving you a hug in your own home :-?

PS if you limit the machine to news and use it as a educational tool than you can defeat the TV monster.

2005/5/3 5:31Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy