SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Articles and Sermons : The Corinthian Problem - Conlon

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
InTheLight

Phoenix, Arizona USA

The Corinthian Problem - Conlon

Carter Conlon preached a powerful series of messages dealing with the roots and resolution of powerlessness in the church, I highly recommend listening to these messages. Here's just a short excerpt from one of the messages;

"The only thing I can say today to you and to anybody who is listening is, get up and move towards the work of Christ and everything in your life will start to come into its rightful focus and its rightful place. You have to get through a gauntlet of religion to get there. Every half-hearted Christian you will meet along the way will try to turn you back. But, just move to what God is speaking in your life. For some of you it is across the table. That is where it is going to start. You are alienated from your own family. That moving to Christ is just moving across the table, becoming vulnerable again, walking humbly and asking for forgiveness – saying I have not done things right and I do not know how to do it right but I am trusting God. That is where it starts.

When that beachhead is established – the denying of self – then it moves into the neighborhood to struggling families, to a boy or a girl who does not have a father or a mother. A lady goes across the hall and suddenly takes an interest in a child that is not her own – or a man doing something of the same kind. It is a living outside of oneself. The next thing you know, you are doing a bible study in the community center in one of the tougher
areas of the city. The next thing, after that, you are going on a missions trip. You just do not know where God is going to lead you.

The true Christian life is found in looking outside of oneself. It is the toughest battle you will ever fight in your life. Coming to Christ, you thought that was tough. You thought giving up smoking and drinking and gossiping was tough. Some of these things are difficult for some people. But now comes the final step in the journey. It is to be given even to people that hate you. That is the final step in the Christian journey.

There were not many in Corinth that heard the words of Paul, but there were some. When it was all set and done, Paul had peace in the storm. When the whole ship was falling apart and they were distributing helps to get through this thing, here was one man who stood up there with a smile in his face. And he said, be of good cheer. I have been with God tonight. He told me, if you listen you will all be safe.

This one man starts distributing food and he starts giving out sustenance and directions. I have never preached this sermon but it is stirring in me. I would call it “From captive to captain”. You have to be willing to be captive. Everybody wants to be captain; But you have to be willing to be the captive. He was captive for the sake of other people. If that is in your heart, I know he will give you peace in the storm."

2014/11/29 18:01Profile
dolfan

Tennessee, but my home's in Alabama

Re: The Corinthian Problem - Conlon

Link? Thx.

2014/11/30 0:40Profile
dolfan

Re:

Youtube has a 12 part series. Which one of the series did you get your quoted excerpt from?

2014/11/30 2:21Profile
InTheLight

Phoenix, Arizona USA

Re:

The excerpt is from the third message in the series titled Be Sure Your Sin Will Find You Out. The series was preached in 2008, you can find the messages at the TSC website at the following link;

http://www.tscnyc.org/media_center.php?pg=sermons

In Christ,

2014/11/30 18:09Profile
dolfan

Re:

http://www.tscnyc.org/media_center.php?pg=sermons&ma=960&sm_exID=undefined&sm_exSource=undefined

More specific link. :)

2014/11/30 20:14Profile
InTheLight

Phoenix, Arizona USA

Re:

I have transcripts of the first three messages in PDF format, if anyone is interested just shoot me an email and I'll send them to you.

In Christ,

2014/12/1 12:42Profile
dolfan

Re:

Would like.

Law dot shelton at gmail dot com

2014/12/1 14:32Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy