SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : Justice of God - God is Just - God of justice - Who is God?

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
PosterThread

Justice of God - God is Just - God of justice - Who is God?

I've been doing some research and I've come across this persistent idea that 'God is just' but my research doesn't show that 'God is just' in scripture.

Yes. I know this may sound controversial. I think it's important to discuss this. Maybe moreso than the 'just war' thread I created.

Do I believe God is just? No

Do I believe God is a God of justice? Yes. (Is. 30:18; numerous others)

Now, I know this may seem like dividing hairs but to me, it's not. I feel that this distinction is huge.

Search the scriptures. KJV nor NASB nor ESV say that literally 'God is just'.

Does God justify? Yes. (Rom. 8:33; among others)

If you believe God is just, what is your scriptural basis?

If you can see the distinction that I'm trying to display, what does it mean to be a God OF justice? Instead of 'God is just' (please compare your perspective on these two phrases)?

2014/11/13 22:57
ginnyrose

Mississippi

Re: Justice of God - God is Just - God of justice - Who is God?

I took your challenge...using e-Sword I found two scriptures that describe God as being just.

Deut. 32:4: He is the Rock, his work is perfect: for all his ways are judgment: a God of truth and without iniquity, just and right is he.

Isa_45:21: Tell ye, and bring them near; yea, let them take counsel together: who hath declared this from ancient time? who hath told it from that time? have not I the LORD? and there is no God else beside me; a just God and a Saviour; there is none beside me.

2014/11/13 23:12Profile
Sidewalk

San Diego

Re: Underneath

There are certain character qualities in God that need revelation in your heart individually and personally. His justice is one of those, because there are so many examples one can find in the pages of scripture that might convince a logical mind that He is anything but just!

Going to God in prayer and confessing your doubts is the first step. He is eager to have you know Him as a just God, but also as a loving God, a fearsome God, a gentle God, a warrior God. The list is much longer than this, so it is good to lay yourself before Him and let Him pour His Holy Spirit all through your mind and heart.

As you may recall from some of my previous postings, I too had serious doubts that He was just. Just look at the passage in 2 Chronicles 18, 18 -22 where God has all the host of heaven before Him and the spirit comes and volunteers to be a lying spirit in the mouths of all the prophets. It doesn't look like justice. If I did not know Him I would see divine treachery there.

As it is, He is not obligated to support those who cross into disobedience, it is almost a wonder how He has the heart to save so many of those who do not deserve His mercy!

I do not want to infer that you don't have a relationship in Christ established. You wouldn't be here if you didn't! But never be afraid to take it to another level, asking God to reveal more and better stuff to you.

From Jeremiah- "Ask of Me, and I will tell you great and mighty things that you do not know!" (33:3)

2014/11/13 23:43Profile
enid

Nottingham, England

Psalm 7:11, God is a just judge, and God is angry with the wicked every day.(NKJV)

Psalm 7:11, God judgeth the righteous, and God is angry with the wicked every day. (KJV)

2014/11/14 5:11Profile
Heydave

Hampshire, UK

Re:

If you consider that the word 'Just' and 'Righteous' are the same (Hebrew 'tsaddiyq' - strongs H6662) you will find a few more references that say either "God is righteous (just)" or the "LORD is Righteous (just)".

Because God is Just (righteous) He can make or impart to us righteousness.

"For he hath made him to be sin for us, who knew no sin; that we might be made the righteousness of God in him." It's called the divine exchange, His righteousness for my sinfulness!!

2014/11/14 5:39Profile
TMK

NC, USA

Re:

Tom wrote:

"As it is, He is not obligated to support those who cross into disobedience, it is almost a wonder how He has the heart to save so many of those who do not deserve His mercy!"

Statements like this are wonderful, and true, on a surface level. I think the problem that many people have, including some true bible-believing Christians, is that if you peel the layers of the statement way back you will find that God created the system whereby men would be needing mercy in the first place.

Now I am going to use an analogy that sounds irreverent but yet seems to fit what I mean.

If I establish one of those cool little ant farms, and then decide to pour poison down the hole, should I be considered a hero for hurrying to get the ants inside out to safety?

My point is that the question about God being just raises issues like this. I am not saying that He is not just, but that there are certain "problems" that one has to address when discussing the topic.

2014/11/14 6:24Profile
InTheLight

Phoenix, Arizona USA

Quote:
Do I believe God is just? No

So then God is unjust?

In Christ,

2014/11/14 8:56Profile
Oracio

Whittier CA USA

Re:

Quote:
So then God is unjust?

Exactly! If we say that God is not just we must say He is unjust.

Romans 3:26 makes it clear that through the cross God is both just and the justifier of those who trust in Jesus as their Sin-Bearer.

"for all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God, 24 being justified freely by His grace through the redemption that is in Christ Jesus, 25 whom God set forth as a propitiation by His blood, through faith, to demonstrate His righteousness, because in His forbearance God had passed over the sins that were previously committed, 26 to demonstrate at the present time His righteousness, that He might be just and the justifier of the one who has faith in Jesus"-Rom.3:23-26

2014/11/14 18:56Profile
brothagary

Re:

I come to the conclusion that Christians dont think before they type and if they have thought about it ,really they are saying they dont agree with what the bible teaches , i rather think that they haven't thought about properly and maybe haven't searched the scriptures throughly....

2014/11/14 20:30Profile
Sidewalk

San Diego

Re: Searching

Jesus warned the Pharisees about searching the scriptures in search of eternal life. He said the scriptures testify of Him!

Searching the scriptures is always good, but seeking to know Him as one does that is critically important. Many have searched the scriptures and have found themselves hopelessly confused and disconnected from the source of life. Just as is constantly emphasized here on Sermon Index, salvation is a person not a doctrinal understanding. God the Father, God the Just One, is concealed in His character along with His other attributes that flow from His holiness and love.

Seeing Him as a just God requires that you come to know Him, because watching from a distance one might confuse His acting with Holy authority as tyranny.

In a message some years ago, Bob Mumford worked with the passage where Jesus said "when a son asks his father for bread, he will not give him a stone, will he?" He went on to explain how sometimes you are holding something that is hard, cold, and heavy. To you it appears to be a stone but as God works it out in your life you may well come to realize that it really was bread.

In the meantime, you go through anger, weeping, despair- accusing God of many things- mostly because you don't know Him yet. You are born again, you are in the door- but there are things in your fleshly life that keep you from intimacy with the Father.

As you watch that stone become bread, you will gain wisdom and complete confidence in the love that He has always had for you- even when you could neither recognize it or accept it.

He is a just God. The Holy Spirit will teach that to your spirit if you ask Him to.

2014/11/14 23:19Profile

©2002-2020 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Affiliate Disclosure | Privacy Policy