SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
Discussion Forum : Articles and Sermons : sin

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
MaryJane

sin

Sin has often whispered in the vain minds of men, “This action might be very wrong for other people, but it will not be evil in you. Under your present circumstances, you may take leave to overlook the command of God. True, you would severely condemn such a sin in another; but in yourself it is quite another matter. Things must be left to your superior discretion. You who do much that is good, and are such a remarkable person, you may venture where others should not.” Sin will also plead with you that your circumstances are such that they furnish you with an excellent justification: you cannot do otherwise than make an exception to the general rule, under the singular conditions in which you are now placed. It tempts you to put forth your hand unto iniquity, arguing that is the quick way, and the only way, out of your present difficulties. This is specious reasoning: yet are men foolish enough to be swayed by it.

Sin will also flatter a man with the notion that he can go just so far, and no farther, and retreat with ease. He can tread the verge of crime, and yet be innocent. Another person would be in great danger; but this self-satisfied fool thinks that he has such power over himself, and that he is so intelligent, and so experienced, that he can stop at a safe point. This moth can play with the candle, and not singe its wings. This child can put its finger between the bars, and yet never burn himself. I know you, my self-contained friend, and I know your boast that you can stand on the edge of a cliff, and look down upon the foaming sea, and while other people’s heads grow giddy, your brain is clear, and your foot is firm. You may try the experiment once too often. The deceivableness of sin is such that it makes those most secure who are most in peril. Oh, for grace to watch and pray, lest we also become “hardened through the deceitfulness of sin”! The deceivableness is further seen in the excuses which it frames afterwards. (Charles Hadden Spurgeon, 1874)

2014/10/13 22:23Profile
ginnyrose

Mississippi

Re: sin

AMEN!

Sandra

2014/10/14 1:54Profile
Sree

Re: sin

Quote:

Sin will also flatter a man with the notion that he can go just so far, and no farther, and retreat with ease.

I once gave a short sermon on "putting no confidence in flesh". A line from letter to Philippians. The subject was very much similar, on how Sin makes us put confidence in flesh that we get deceived thinking that we can stand at the edge of a cliff without falling. I would have loved to include these quotes from Spurgeon. If God wants me to speak a similar sermon again then I will surely use these quotes. Thanks a lot for sharing.

2014/10/15 2:48Profile

©2002-2020 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Affiliate Disclosure | Privacy Policy