SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : SermonIndex Announcements : Moderator Note: Change to Signatures on the discussion forums

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
PosterThread
sermonindex

Canada

Online!
 Moderator Note: Change to Signatures on the discussion forums

Brethren,

For 12 years the forums here have been a place of fellowship, encouragement and in most cases a place where Jesus Christ is glorified and honoured. We have from time to time as saints for their thoughts on features on the forums or ways to change them to make discussions better. One repeated request and suggestion was to not have "nick-names" but only real names. This suggestion was given many times so that there can be a greater accountability and in the end we realize we cannot speak things that could be hurtful without realizing all our words will be at the judgment seat of Christ.

"I tell you, on the day of judgment people will give account for every careless word they speak." - Matthew 12:36 (ESV)

"Let no corrupting talk come out of your mouths, but only such as is good for building up, as fits the occasion, that it may give grace to those who hear." - Ephesians 4:29 (ESV)

Also another aspect of this change is that saints have had the liberty to post a website url on their profile as well as website links on the signature of the forum posts. This has made a considerable amount of traffic to many brethren's blogs, websites, church sites, etc. We decided after abuse on the profile pages to take off the website link field just about 2 years ago.

Now, we are working to take off the signature of users and make the "real name" field automatically appear as the signature.

What this will do is built greater accountability by saints using their names. Also many website links are referred to in the blog posts themselves and it is spammy and repetitious to have a website link show in a signature of a poster with hundreds if not thousands of posts. This also removes the need of moderators to review websites to ensure they are something sermonindex as a site is wanting to promote, as well as protecting saints from sites that have wrong doctrine, cults, etc.

We hope brethren can appreciate the liberty and blessing the links in the signatures have been and not consider this taking away of a freedom of a feature that was available for many years. As shared the forum posts themselves have many links that are referred to, great resources suggested etc.

Question: Does this mean that I have to put my full name (first and last) on SermonIndex? No. If you put your name it is your choice, you can leave the first and last name blank and it will simply not show up. But we recommend saints edi their profile to at least put their first name.

If you have any other questions comments we would love to hear them, we are currently working on getting this feature coded. At this point we are removing some web links in signatures and will continue to do that for users with 1000's of posts.

2014/10/7 18:40Profile
RobertW

St. Joseph, Missouri

Re: Moderator Note: Change to Signatures on the discussion forums

Thanks for clarifying this dear brother. May the Lord continue to grant us the wisdom with which we might serve Him aright, for His glory, and the edification of the Saints.

2014/10/7 18:46Profile
romanchog

I don't think that using our real names is a safe thing to do. First, this is a public forum. Second, if we really believe that persecution is coming, why would we advertise to the world who the Christians are?

I understand why you want to do it. I just don't think it is wise.

2014/10/8 0:05Profile
sermonindex

Canada

Online!
 Re:

Quote:
I don't think that using our real names is a safe thing to do. First, this is a public forum. Second, if we really believe that persecution is coming, why would we advertise to the world who the Christians are?

That is a valid consideration, one should definitely follow through with not having any social media accounts also with their name if that were the objective. By-in-large the government knows all those who are christians, I would be more concerned about those who are in house churches publicly making that known if they wanted to keep under the radar.

To even make one's first name known should not be a security risk, and it will add a sense of accountability.

Once we had one person request to take off their name from the website, and when asked why, they said they were applying for a job and did not want the employers to see they were on a christian website or arguing with other christians about theology. Perhaps they would have found some of the mean comments they made to others and then would have not offered the job.

Part of this is to avoid double-mindedness or a hidden life online (James 1:8).

2014/10/8 0:35Profile
murrcolr

Scotland, UK

Quote: I don't think that using our real names is a safe thing to do. First, this is a public forum. Second, if we really believe that persecution is coming, why would we advertise to the world who the Christians are?

Question: Does this mean that I have to put my full name (first and last) on SermonIndex? ---- No. If you put your name it is your choice, you can leave the first and last name blank and it will simply not show up.

2014/10/8 7:50Profile
drifter

Campbell River, B.C.

Re:

Quote: I don't think that using our real names is a safe thing to do. First, this is a public forum. Second, if we really believe that persecution is coming, why would we advertise to the world who the Christians are?

If you are a true christian, you want everyone to know it. "A city that is set on an hill cannot be hid." If you are persecuted, rejoice. If you are put to death for your faith, you just get an extra crown when you get to heaven.

2014/10/8 13:41Profile
Lysa

East TN for now!

Re:

Quote:
drifter wrote:
If you are a true christian, you want everyone to know it. "A city that is set on an hill cannot be hid." If you are persecuted, rejoice. If you are put to death for your faith, you just get an extra crown when you get to heaven.

I've always used my name, Lisa. I do NOT want my last name posted for safety, I am a single woman who lives alone now that my sons have moved on to life. Not wanting my name posted all over the internet has nothing to do with dying for my faith or being a "true christian." I do not even use my full name on Twitter.

That is my two cents worth and I won't use my last name if I don't have to.

God bless,
Lisa

2014/10/8 13:47Profile
sermonindex

Canada

Online!
 Re:

Quote:
That is my two cents worth and I won't use my last name if I don't have to.

Appreciate your grace and yes due to your situation there is wisdom just to use the first name. I think that is sufficient if you felt led.

Again saints do not have to even put their names, this is optional but having the first name up at least will help believers to feel more closely connected, accountable and we will all realize we are speaking to fellow believers in real-life from all over the world.

2014/10/8 14:01Profile
dolfan

Tennessee, but my home's in Alabama

Will login name change, too?

I've already amended mine to read my first name. I've posted my full name here before anyway. I prefer not to use it, but I understand, too. My question is whether the change will apply to our login names or will we still be able to log in by our pseudonymous user names?

2014/10/8 15:59Profile
sermonindex

Canada

Online!
 Re: Will login name change, too?

Quote:
My question is whether the change will apply to our login names or will we still be able to log in by our pseudonymous user names?

Great question brother, you will still login with the username.

2014/10/8 16:05Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy