SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : What Did Jesus Mean Here?

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
PosterThread

What Did Jesus Mean Here?

Matthew 26:52
Then jesus said to him, "Put your sword back into its place; for all those who take up the sword shall perish by the sword."

Brethren what did Jesus mean here?

Bearmaster

2014/9/6 8:59
dfella

Canton, Michigan

Re: What Did Jesus Mean Here?

Bear,

I believe Jesus meant this:

Genesis 9:6 Whoso sheddeth man's blood, by man shall his blood be shed: for in the image of God made he man.

Revelation 13:10 He that leadeth into captivity shall go into captivity: he that killeth with the sword must be killed with the sword. Here is the patience and the faith of the saints.

Another thought that comes to mind is the law of sowing and reaping, if we are willing to kill, we better be prepared to be killed, and I am not just talking about the killing of our bodies, but having our souls cast into the lake of fire.

This might be different than what you may be thinking, but I trust you get what I mean.

2014/9/6 9:54Profile
TMK

NC, USA

Re:

I think Jesus was saying, quite accurately, that the disciples had no chance to win any battles against their enemies. They were hopelessly outnumbered and any show of force with arms by the disciples would surely result in their deaths.

To put it in the vernacular, "put away your swords guys. You'll get yourselves killed."

He didn't want them killed before their time. They still had a Church to birth.

2014/9/6 14:01Profile

Re:

Defella,

I agree with your post bro.

Blaine

2014/9/6 14:40

Re:

TMK agree with your observation. So do you think the command to put the sword away applies to us today?

Bear

2014/9/6 14:43
InTheLight

Phoenix, Arizona USA

I wonder why Peter had a sword in the first place?

Ron

2014/9/6 15:00Profile

Re:

Ron,

Probably he was going to defend Jesus or defend himself. Remember Peter was operating in the flesh. Also Peter had forgotten what Jesus had taught in the Sermon on the Mount about loving one`s enemies.

Bear

2014/9/6 15:07

WHAT DID JESUS MEAN HERE:
"Put your sword back into its place; for all those who take up the sword shall perish by the sword."

Here is my take on this text:

1. "Put your sword back into its place."
Paraphrasing Jesus: "Peter, that sword that you have just used to cut that guys ear off...um, PUT it back RIGHT NOW dude...hurry!"

Why?

2. "For all those who take up the sword shall perish by the sword."
Paraphrasing Jesus: "Pete, you just broke the age old rule of never bring a knife to a gunfight cause you'll lose every time. If you keep this up and try to take his other ear off, these guys are going to mess you up big time, and that goes for all you guys, they outnumber you, are better trained and have armor."

There is absolutely NO hidden meaning to this, no references to Genesis or Revelations etc, just a common sense warning to his buddies at this time and place.

btw, I reckon if Jesus had not healed the soldiers ear, Peter would have been killed! When Jesus intervened, He diffused the whole situation...not only did Peter NOT get messed up, but the soldiers let him get away. Major score for Jesus!

What Jesus DID NOT SAY is that if anyone ever uses a sword or any kind of weapon in their lives, that they would die a violent death at the hand of weapons, although the likelihood would increase dramatically. My grandfather fought and killed nazis during WW2 and died 30 years later from a heart attack. My grandma would cook minced beef every night in a frypan (they were poor) and sop up the fat for him with bread...death by cholesterol at 53 years of age!!!

Having said that, there is an application for us today, although it is not very deep. Putting our sword away today means for us that there is a time and place for everything. It simply means, use a little common sense, do a threat assessment...if you are outnumbered and outgunned, think it through very carefully. And that doesn't just apply to physical force either, it can also apply to the way we interact with all those we perceive as a threat. Sometimes we find ourselves in situations where we should "fight" because it is the right thing to do, but there are other times when we need to bite our tongue and live to "fight" another day.

2014/9/6 16:59
savannah

Re: put up thy sword!

Let every soul be subject unto the higher powers. For there is no power but of God: the powers that be are ordained of God. Whosoever therefore resisteth the power, resisteth the ordinance of God: and they that resist shall receive to themselves damnation. For rulers are not a terror to good works, but to the evil. Wilt thou then not be afraid of the power? do that which is good, and thou shalt have praise of the same: Romans 13:1-3

For he is the minister of God to thee for good. But if thou do that which is evil, be afraid; for he beareth not the sword in vain: for he is the minister of God, a revenger to execute wrath upon him that doeth evil.
Romans 13:4

Jesus was not addressing the above when in the garden with Peter. But it certainly is addressed here by Paul in no uncertain terms.

Paul says in Acts 20, "For I have not shunned to declare unto you the whole counsel of God."

Whom shall he teach knowledge? and whom shall he make to understand doctrine? them that are weaned from the milk, and drawn from the breasts. For precept must be upon precept, precept upon precept; line upon line, line upon line; here a little, and there a little. Isaiah 28:9,10

You shun to declare the whole counsel of God! And what you wind up with is watching your own women and children being slaughtered and your virgin daughters being raped.

Again I say to you, go and learn what this meaneth...

For he is the minister of God to thee for good. But if thou do that which is evil, be afraid; for he beareth not the sword in vain: for he is the minister of God, a revenger to execute wrath upon him that doeth evil.
Romans 13:4

Let every soul be subject unto the higher powers. For there is no power but of God: the powers that be are ordained of God. Whosoever therefore resisteth the power, resisteth the ordinance of God: and they that resist shall receive to themselves damnation. For rulers are not a terror to good works, but to the evil. Wilt thou then not be afraid of the power? do that which is good, and thou shalt have praise of the same: Romans 13:1-3

Governments(whether they be good or evil)are ordained of God. Whatever power they have has been given by God.

Hear Jesus,

Then saith Pilate to him, Speakest thou not to me? knowest thou not, that I have power to crucify thee, and have power to release thee? Jesus answered, Thou couldst have no power against me; except it were given thee from above: therefore he that delivered me to thee hath the greater sin. John 19:10,11

If men and women would keep to their own calling we'd be done with such idiocy as we observe and read about.

I'm not the president of the U.S. nor are any of you. I am not a woman and so I do not attempt to follow any calling a woman is called to by God. I am not an employer or business owner therefore I leave them to their callings whether I agree with them or no. Do you know what your calling is? Then by all means fulfill the same by God's grace.

Put up thy sword and fight the good fight of faith where you are and with what you've been given.

May God give all of us the grace to hear as well as the grace to heed.

2014/9/6 17:48Profile
Giggles

Re:

Why might Peter have had the sword? The Lord did instruct them to buy swords in Luke 22:36. And they did have 2 swords already (v. 38), so maybe he brought it in hopes of obeying Christ's words.

2014/9/7 8:20Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy