SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
Discussion Forum : News and Current Events : "Convert them or kill them" is Phil Robertson like ISIS by Michael Brown

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
TMK

NC, USA

"Convert them or kill them" is Phil Robertson like ISIS by Michael Brown

http://www.charismanews.com/opinion/in-the-line-of-fire/45275-convert-them-or-kill-them-is-phil-robertson-like-isis

2014/9/5 15:48Profile
sermonindex

"Pilgrim and Sojourner." - 1 Peter 2:11

Online!
 Re: "Convert them or kill them" is Phil Robertson like ISIS by Michael Brow

Quote:
To put his remarks in proper context, Robertson began by quoting a number of Scriptures, including the highly appropriate verse from Proverbs 8: "All who hate me [speaking of divine wisdom personified] love death," his point being that these are evil people bent on destruction and murder.

As Christians we are to love our enemies how do we love ISIS?

2014/9/5 16:13Profile
TMK

NC, USA

Re:

Great question Greg-- pray for them i suppose. They won;t listen to evangelism.

The question on the table is whether we must love them by allowing them to murder us.

I may have used this hypothetical in another thread, but here goes:

If miraculously all of Israel got saved, should they simply lay down all arms and allow Isis to run roughshod over their country slaughtering everybody in their path? Is that what Jesus means when he said "love your enemies?" I dont think so but I could be wrong.

2014/9/5 18:43Profile
Elibeth

Re:

WHAT,...Did Steven do?

elizabeth

2014/9/5 18:50Profile
TMK

NC, USA

Re:

Apples and oranges.

2014/9/5 19:13Profile
savannah

Re: convert them or kill them

Whatever conclusion you arrive at "they" will certainly be killed either way if they do not convert.

Whether it is the U.S. or some other nation they'll be killed in the end.

And when all is said and done the LORD Jesus God's Son will have the final Word;

'Nevertheless, those enemies of mine, the ones not having wanted me to reign over them, bring them here and execute them before me.'" Luke 19:27

But as for these enemies of mine, who did not want me to reign over them, bring them here and slaughter them before me.'"

But as for those enemies of mine who were unwilling that I should rule over them, bring them here, and cut them to pieces in my presence.'"

He that by violence sheddeth any man's blood, shall flee to his grave, let no man help him. Proverbs 28:17

The LORD tests the righteous, but his soul hates the wicked and the one who loves violence. Psalms 11:5

But he who sins against me does violence to his own soul; all who hate me love death. Proverbs 8:36

2014/9/5 19:48Profile
ccchhhrrriiisss

Re:

Quote:
As Christians we are to love our enemies how do we love ISIS?

Great question. I think that it is accepted that we can love Muslims -- even militant and radical Muslims -- yet simultaneously hate the ideology and beliefs that motivate their radical and violent nature.

This is difficult when, as Greg pointed out in a different thread, it is often difficult to define what radical and harmful beliefs Muslims may follow.

When I read about religions like Islam, I am not thinking "What would Stephen do?" (although that is always a good thing to think about), but "What would Paul do?" During his travels, Paul encountered all sorts of beliefs. He ministered to Jews, but he also encountered people who worshiped mythic Greco-Roman gods, other religious adherents and even false Christians. He was willing to proclaim a God that you can know to those who worshiped "the unknown god." However, he did this at the risk of life, limb and (perhaps), ultimately, his head.

While pondering the events of two journalists who lost their heads to these terrorists, I was reminded of the song by Keith Green entitled Pledge My Head to Heaven:

Quote:

Pledge My Head to Heaven
by Keith Green

Well I pledge my head to Heaven for the gospel
And I ask no man on earth to fill my needs
Like the sparrow up above, I am enveloped in His love
And I trust Him like those little ones, He feeds

Well I pledge my wife to Heaven, for the gospel
Though our love each passing day just seems to grow
As I told her when we wed, I'd surely rather be found dead
Than to love her more than the one who saved my soul

I'm Your child and I want to be in Your family forever
I'm Your child and I'm going to follow You no matter
Whatever the cost, well I'm gonna count all things lost

Well I pledge my son to Heaven for the gospel
Though he's kicked and beaten, ridiculed and scorned
I will teach him to rejoice and lift a thankful praising voice
And to be like Him who bore the nails and crown of thorns

I'm Your child and I want to be in Your family forever
I'm Your child and I'm going to follow You no matter
Whatever the cost and I'm gonna count all things lost
Oh no matter whatever the cost, well I'm gonna count all things lost

Well I've had the chance to gain the world
And to live just like a king
But without Your love, it doesn't mean a thing

Oh no matter whatever the cost
Well I'm gonna count all things lost
Oh no matter whatever the cost
Well I'm gonna count all things lost

Well I pledge my son, I pledge my wife
I pledge my head to Heaven
I pledge my son, I pledge my wife
I pledge my head to Heaven for the gospel

The inspiration for the song came after Keith Green read the quote by Joseph Parker pointed out by Brother Ravenhill:

"The man whose little sermon is ‘repent’ sets himself against his age, and will for the time being be battered mercilessly by the age whose moral tone he challenges. There is but one end for such a man—‘off with his head!’ You had better not try to preach repentance until you have pledged your head to heaven."

The interesting thing about preaching repentance is that it isn't the impersonal and unfeeling thing as it is often depicted. In fact, I think that the preaching of repentance is the highest level of love that a person can demonstrate. It is literally risking all -- friendships, reputation, jobs and even family -- to tell others about an all-knowing and all-powerful God who loved each one of us enough to leave the realm of Heaven to this filthy sod and ultimately shed His blood for us. To tell the truth is the highest display of love -- and it can and should be evident in the "unction" behind our words to the lost (including radical Muslims).

I told my wife that, if it was me about to lose my head in front of a camera, I would gladly use those last moments to try and bring the love of Jesus and hope eternal to my captors and anyone else who would watch me surrender my life for the cause of Christ.

2014/9/6 0:34Profile

Re:

My perspective is...simple. Love them like Jesus. "No greater love...than one who lays down his life for his friends."

We say we want revival. Unless a seed goes into the ground...

2014/9/6 4:10

©2002-2020 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Affiliate Disclosure | Privacy Policy