SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : Greek word "Aion" AIΩN, age article:

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
PosterThread
mattf12486

Brother, you hit the nail on the head

quote "There is a spirit at work in the church, been there a long time, trying to convince men that God has made a mistake, is sorry He has been so cruel, willing to let bygones be bygones, and really does have "another way" despite telling Jesus in the garden that there was no other way.

It is actually, "appointed unto men once to die and after that the judgement." As a servant of Christ, you have no authority to camouflage or sweeten-up His clarion call to repentance and the cleansing blood of Jesus now and today, the day of salvation.

We must never create an alternative that He has not clearly taught us."

I've noticed this spirit to be at work as well. It all begins with questioning the word of God. Unbelief was the first sin. Behind unbelief is pride which says, "I know better than God."

2014/9/5 17:25Profile
TMK

NC, USA

Re: Brother, you hit the nail on the head

Quote: "While I am no Greek scholar, there is no logical reason why the Father would subject His beloved Son to the degrading death on the cross if there were some other way to achieve righteousness for sinful men."

Indeed, there is no other name under heaven by which we must be saved.

2014/9/5 19:17Profile
Mangan

Sweden (Northern Europe)

Re:

Noah! I suggest that you read Theological Dictionary of the Old Testament and Theological Dictionary of the New Testament when it comes to aion/aionos/ainoios and olam etc. There is a lot of good articles in the sources above..
The general rule is however to read these words in context; every word derives its meaning from context. In other words when olam/ainonos/aionios has to do with God or from the viewpoint of God its meaning is most certainly "eternal". If the context regards earthly perspectives the meaning would be an extended period of time ---------->..

For those interested in the subject of eternal punishment contra annihilation you should read:

i. "Hell under Fire" ed. Christopher W. Morgan, Robert A. Peterson (written from the classical viewpoint of hell as eternal damnation).

ii. "The Fire That Consumes" Edward Fudge (written from a annihilation-perspective).
Sincerely Magnus

2014/9/6 6:58Profile

Re: Greek word "Aion" AIΩN, age article:

Dear brother Noah,
as you can see by the responses, there is little to no fruit gained by TRYING to feel your way to God, going outside of what is thought of as "orthodoxy".

for your question, its better, imho, to seek out brothers where you are, to hash out such questions, face to face, but on a public cyber forum, people wont really "come as are", its easy to throw flame, behind a moniker.

my personal feeling is this; from early childhood, raised in the synagogue, and then at age 42, (2002) when God was pleased to crush me, then reveal His Son Jesus to me and in me, I have never concerned myself with the threat of hell, because I have always felt something that in theological terms is called "eternal assurance".

Also, the Indwelling Holy Spirit WILL be my Helper in realizing WHEN and IF I sin, therefore being a lover of God and Messiah, I will immediately repent...turn, and out of love for God, plead the Blood of Christ, acknowledge my sin before Him, and ask forgiveness.....NOT out of "fear" of hell, but because I wish to please God, I love Him so much.

The Beauty and Grace and Mercy of Messiah Jesus is that He has FREED me from the bondage of the FEAR of physical death, Jesus has supernaturally circumcised my heart, so that I can love the impossible love, so that I can walk in humility and meekness, esteeming others above myself, TRYING to have compassion and grace to all my fellow cracked "jars of clay", who all groan while we wait adoption as sons of God.

so I rarely concern myself with hell....i'll let others "preach hell" as I've heard said. not my calling, my calling, as i'm led, is to fan into flames, this simple beautiful gift of Faith, while loving God in utter child-like dependence.

just understand, this is not the VENUE to work out, the "personal work" it seems you are striving for...and I do NOT write that in any "rebuke", I write that in the Love of Messiah.

Human beings are fond of a "carrot/stick" dichotomy, they can "understand" that....but loving God JUST for the JOY of loving God alone?....that's a tough one for some people.

and anytime you hear the words, "2000 years of Church history", my feeling is to ask, "do you REALLY want to go there?".....as those 2,000 years are so filled with the blood of innocents, so filled with the tyranny of "religious men", who had no qualms about burning people, torturing them, much like some of these "muslims" today. I see these hell hounds acting very similar to "Christians" did 1,000 years ago, who "crusaded", and all the hell THAT ENTAILED....the blood of that endeavor, across Europe into Israel cries out from the ground.

Since 315 AD, the organized "church" has largely FAILED God and Jesus Messiah..now remember I wrote "organized", as there have been moments in time, and lonely suffering saints and small groups, thru the ages who have NOT failed God and Messiah....but they have usually been OUTSIDE the "camp....outside the "temple", hunted and hectored.

God is watching...don't worry about hell,"because, if you confess with your mouth that Jesus is Lord and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved." Paul as swept along by the Holy Spirit wrote that in Romans 10:9

a simple faith is best.

shortest verse in the Bible: "Jesus wept."

2014/9/6 8:18
Sidewalk

San Diego

Re: The hell question

"Also, the Indwelling Holy Spirit WILL be my Helper in realizing WHEN and IF I sin, therefore being a lover of God and Messiah, I will immediately repent...turn, and out of love for God, plead the Blood of Christ, acknowledge my sin before Him, and ask forgiveness.....NOT out of "fear" of hell, but because I wish to please God, I love Him so much."

Hard to say it any better than the way Neil has!

2014/9/6 10:10Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy