SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : Which Version is the Bible? by Dr. Floyd Nolen Jones

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
PosterThread
RobertW

St. Joseph, Missouri

Re:

Quote:
I have done nothing to attack you. Please give me the same common courtesy. It is you who are causing dissention. I want peace.

Well, 28 posts in a little over 24 hours is quite a progression. At that pace you will overtake the administrator in less than 7 months. You have come onto the site with 'guns blazing' and have not had a chance to even get to know us through conversation in these forums.

Quote:
No one is forcing you to read what I post. If you don't like it, don't read it. Pretty simple.

"Am I therefore become your enemy, because I tell you the truth?" - Galatians 4:16

That is a bold statement to throw out for a newcomer, but such as it is, I am concerned for those who DO read your posts and ARE influenced by what you write. You came on this site and have tried to establish an agenda before anyone had a chance to respond. I logged off Thursday and in no time here we are. My suggestion would be to get to know what we are even here for before trying to slam us with all manor of controversy. Do a search and find we have already discussed at length these topics.

Quote:
Maybe you want fluff, but I want fire!

I believe what we need today are people who are full of the Holy Ghost and FIRE and are walking in true holiness free from besettings sins- preaching the Gospel until. [url=https://www.sermonindex.net/modules/mydownloads/viewcat.php?cid=306]OVERWHELMING CONVICTION[/url] comes upon the people and they turn their life to Christ. You could preach from the Greek and if you have sin in your life you will be powerless to see conviction of sin upon the people. I propose we let God tend to keeping His word pure and we tend to keeping our hearts pure.

2005/4/23 22:00Profile
ReceivedText

Seattle, Washington, USA

RobertW

Quote:
That is a bold statement to throw out for a newcomer

Are you against newcomers? You sure sound like it.

Quote:
Well, 28 posts in a little over 24 hours is quite a progression. At that pace you will overtake the administrator in less than 7 months.

Is this kindness? What is it to you how much I have posted? I have received many responses to my posts. This is a forum. You should stop attack me personally and use your energy trying to refute what I write (if you can).

Quote:
I am concerned for those who DO read your posts and ARE influenced by what you write.

What is wrong with ANYTHING I have posted? Again, I urge you to calm down. Deal with the substance of what I have written. You are making your spirit evident to all. Do you normally attack people you disagree with???

As for me, I refuse to attack you.

Much love in Christ,

TR

2005/4/23 23:20Profile
moreofHim

Re: RobertW

RT,

Quote:
You should stop attack me personally and use your energy trying to refute what I write (if you can).

What is this? a challenge?

I know you are new here, but many of us on SI have been here for ever a year or more and are more like a family. we have grown and been broken and wept for each other. we have encouraged and exhorted (when need be).

This forum belongs to Greg Gordon- but ultimately to God. It has been God's since the beginning- which is what has made it different from other forums. It is not men's but God's.

At SI we like to encourage members to post prayerfully (meaning: praying, considering before posting.) that the posts be spirit led especially in cases involving debates.

In Christ, Chanin

2005/4/23 23:29Profile
ReceivedText

Seattle, Washington, USA

Re: taco

Quote:
Did the Kings translators have a pure translation in their day?

Of course they did. The Anglo-Saxon (pre-English) and Gothic (pre-German) people have had translations almost since Pentecost. In her book "In Awe of Thy Word", Gail Riplinger traces the history of the English Bible from Pentecost to today. Remember that by 500 A.D., the Bible had been translated into over 500 languages. But also around that time, the Catholic church tried to reduce it to one: Latin.

But you would probably not have asked this question if you had read the book. Have you read it?

[b]I would like to ask everyone to please use this thread to discuss the contents of the book. You may paste the portions of the book you are discussing. Thank you all for your consideration. I don't want us to miss the point here.[/b]

Blessings,

TR

2005/4/24 1:23Profile
taco

Re:

Quote:
Of course they did. The Anglo-Saxon (pre-English) and Gothic (pre-German) people have had translations almost since Pentecost. In her book "In Awe of Thy Word", Gail Riplinger traces the history of the English Bible from Pentecost to today.

You misunderstand me. My question is was there a "pure word of God in English" in the days immediatly prior to the KJV. If God has promised to preserve his word in every generation, did the translators parents, for instance, have access to the word of God in their vernacular?

Also, just out of curiosity, what drew you to Sermonindex?

2005/4/24 5:12Profile
ReceivedText

Seattle, Washington, USA

Re: Pre-English Bibles

[b]Please use this thread to discuss the book. If you have a question about something you read or couldn't find in the book, then ask. Thank you so much. I don't want to type the whole book.[/b] I hope you understand this.

But to answer your question, yes of course there were many pure Bibles in English. English as we know it today really came about around the time of John Wycliffe in the 1300's. But in every early form of English you had a Bible (i.e. Bede 600's, King Alfred AD 849-899). After Wycliffe's Bible came Tyndale's (first printed English Bible since the printing press was just recently invented). This came to England under the alias of the Matthew's Bible. Then there was the Great Bible, Bishop's Bible, Geneva Bible. Then this evolving language unified in the KJV. Just go and try to read the Geneva or Wycliffe Bible. This will become evident to you. Up until the KJV, there were so many different words from different influences to the English you speak today like Latin, Norman, Anlo-Saxon, Celtic, etc. One in that day, one would speak of lamb, another would speak of mutton. This is evident to all who study the history of the English language.

It was the KJV that unified the language to what it is today how you speak it. England was much more godly then than it was today. People in Wycliffe's day paid one month's salary to purchase a single page of his hand written Bible! (He made hundreds if not thousands) People today think it is a big deal that they tithe! They had such a hunger for the word that it was their highest priority. Is it ours?

Do you ever wonder why our "respected" leaders don't teach us this precious history??? It is our heritage.

[b]Now, please, everyone go read the book and let's discuss it. Please use this thread how it is intended.[/b]

Blessings,

TR

2005/4/24 12:12Profile
crsschk

Santa Clara, CA

Some clarification

TR,

Please take heed to what others are saying here. You have not responded to the issues others have raised, namely that there has been previous discussion on this as well as this penchant toward pushing across what you want to discuss without that consideration.

You are not in the midst of an anything goes mindset and as Chanin well stated:

Quote:
I know you are new here, but many of us on SI have been here for ever a year or more and are more like a family. we have grown and been broken and wept for each other. we have encouraged and exhorted (when need be).

This forum belongs to Greg Gordon- but ultimately to God. It has been God's since the beginning- which is what has made it different from other forums. It is not men's but God's.

At SI we like to encourage members to post prayerfully (meaning: praying, considering before posting.) that the posts be spirit led especially in cases involving debates.

Don't lose the effect of that, we are protective of our 'own' here and that is not in the sense of exclusivity. In such a short time it is impossible to get a feel for all that has gone on before without taking some time to get to know the brethren. It is conduct not content necessarily that will bring about this type of response every time. We have had some come barging in here in times past and want to rearrange the furniture so to speak or worse destroy the place.

Though the attempt is to have some patience an attitude of humility and consideration will go a long way. We have probably to our own chagrin not been quick enough to cut off some who will not understand that they are in effect joining a community of heart seeking after the Lord individuals and we don't need to be educated by someone who hasn't taken the time to find out if topics have been discussed prior. That may not be the intention but it leaves that impression.

"Members" are welcome, but we do not take kindly to those barging into the family room. Please keep this all in mind here.

2005/4/24 13:03Profile
IRONMAN

IN HEAVENLY PLACES WITH JESUS

Re:

Quote:
How can you have revival without the Bible? If a man doesn't know he has a pure Bible, how can he preach with conviction? I think not having a pure Bible hinders revival. Do you deny this? Can we have revival without a Bible??? Maybe you want fluff, but I want fire!

Perhaps revival is possible with God? All the apostles of old were fisherman who didn't have a copy of the holy writs and yet they had a hand in the changing of the word? Is Christ not THE word of God who was with Him in the beginning?The one who was made flesh? It would seem that the word of God is a bit more than just text. Perhaps I am wrong though.

2005/4/24 14:42Profile
ReceivedText

Seattle, Washington, USA

crsschk

OK, I have no idea why you just wrote what you did. I didn't get it. What was wrong with asking folks to read the book? You have not clarified anything here. It's pretty vague.

You have, however, discouraged discussion on this book. To be honest, I am the one who feels hi-jacked on this thread. The heading of the section is Book Review. Well, I posted a book that I think is great and a blessing to the body of Christ. Immediately people want to use this thread to discuss everything about the book without reading it (or even part of it). So far, no one in this thread has referred to the BOOK. Do I need to start a new thread and make this clear.

crsschk, I totally respect all of your friendships. But you really need to respect folks that come in here and want to dialogue. I haven't posted ANYTHING here that is over the top. Check me out. I am a born again, Bible believing Christian who loves Jesus with all of my heart. You may want to re-assess whether you want to open this up to new people at all. I am getting things like, "We have already discussed this." Who is we??? I thought new folks were coming in all of the time. I don't mean to rain on anybody's parade. This all smacks of "click." Not good if you are the new-comer. The truth is that new people will come in all the time. Certain topics will cycle. If you see one you are tired of, don't click. Discipleship starts over for every new Christian. As the bishop of our church, I am well aware of this. Love makes us want to bear long with people, even though it is inconvenient.

But I am not leaving. I don't hold anything against anyone here. I just think this is all such a HUGE over-reaction by everyone. Man, if we can't deal with controversial topics as adults we have serious problems.

If this is not how you want to operate, I suggest nixing the term "forum" and go with "club" or something exclusive like that. If I thought this was a good ol' boys club, I wouldn't have bothered. But a forum? Cool. Let's talk. :-)

But as far as this book review section. [b]Can we please review the book?[/b] Here's the link again:
[url=http://www.bbconfire.com/articles/whichversion/table.asp]http://www.bbconfire.com/articles/whichversion/table.asp[/url]

God bless you,

TR

2005/4/25 0:10Profile
philologos

Reading, UK

Re: crsschk

We have chatted over this subject in Which Version and in other places. Rather that go through the discussion again I thought folks might like to visit here.

2005/4/25 5:16Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy