SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : Where in the bible does it say our soul is made of mind, will, emotions

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
deltadom

Hemel Hempstead

Where in the bible does it say our soul is made of mind, will, emotions

I am just wondering if any body can help me find verses where it says that we are made up of mind, will, emotions

2014/8/22 11:22Profile

Re: Where in the bible does it say our soul is made of mind, will, emotions

Well, it's nowhere explicitly written in scripture, but u and i know that the will, mind and emotion are the intangible medium of human expression and we know that the soul belongs to the immaterial part me man. Also, if u do a word study on the soul, (compare the greek words for soul, heart, inner man, etc) u will see it implies that will, emotion, and mind expresses the activities of the soul

2014/8/22 12:07
deltadom

Hemel Hempstead

Re:

That depends on what scholar you read some scholars say that we are made up a soul and a body and others say a spirit, soul, body. There is a different opinion over whether we have two incoperal parts.
somma, psuché, pneuma
Can you give me a case rather than just say it implies it.

2014/8/22 12:13Profile
twayneb

Joplin, Missouri

Re:

1Thess. 5:23. I pray God your whole spirit, soul, and body be preserved blameless.

You are right. You will find no place where it is stated explicitly that man is made up of spirit, soul, and body. But Paul's reference in 1 Thess. comes pretty close. He specifically mentions three parts of a man. Using this verse to comment on other verses, and using other verses to comment on this one, I believe we can identify these three parts.

Genesis 2:7. God breathed the spirit into the body and the combination of spirit and body resulted in the soul.

Spirit, soul, and body are a bit simplistic if we try to compartmentalize too much. We know that the spirit inhabiting the body produces what we call the soul. Your spirit has a mind so to speak, but the human mind as we know it is the combination of the spirit of man interacting with the physical and chemical processes of our body as God has created it. So our mind works by physiological processes as well as being spiritual. Included in that are the will and the emotions.

The results of sin on the human race include a spirit that is dead to God through sin and a soul and body that are corrupted. When we are born again, our spirit becomes alive unto God, but our soul and body are still corrupted. We could call this soul and body the flesh. Our flesh is something that we still battle with and await its ultimate restoration.

2014/8/22 13:12Profile
dolfan

Tennessee, but my home's in Alabama

Deltadom,

Take this for whatever the Lord instructs, but I personally love this video. Start at 11:00 of this video, http://www.godtube.com/watch/?v=9B11M1NU , then watch this one (it completes what the previous one started) -- http://www.godtube.com/watch/?v=9BE92CNU .

You may or may not know of Reformers Unanimous, but this is part of a training session connected with starting a recovery ministry in a local church. Ignore that much of it if you wish, but watch these clips. It'll be a good study on the question you asked.

2014/8/22 14:34Profile
murrcolr

Scotland, UK

How the first man was created

And the Lord God formed man of the dust of the ground Gen2:7

And the Lord God formed man of the dust of the ground, and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life and man became a living soul

soul = nephesh in Hebrew

We saw that God formed man's body of the dust of the ground. However, this body did not have life. It was just formed, without life. Then, the Word of God tells us that God "breathed into his nostrils the breath of life and man became a living soul". Therefore, what is soul? Soul is what gives life to the body.

Every man in the world, believer or unbeliever, has a body and soul.

We can concluded that since Adam died at the age of 930 years old, when he ate from the tree of the knowledge of good and evil he obviously lost neither his body nor the life from his his soul. So he must have died in another fashion...

Then God said "let us make man in our image, according to our likeness.... So God created man in His own image, in the image of God He created him; male and female He created them" Genesis 1:26-27

God is not flesh but Spirit. That is His image. Therefore, when the Word of God tells us that God created man according to His image, it means that in addition to body and soul man also had that which is the image of God i.e. God is spirit.

Man is..... Spirit, Soul and body.

Okay going back to the soul - nephesh; I will use the word soul or nephesh to highlight - mind, will and emotions

Will

"My soul refuses to touch them; They are like loathsome food to me. Job 6:7

So that my soul would choose suffocation, Death rather than my pains Job 7:15

Emotions

"I am guiltless; I do not take notice of myself; I despise my life. Job 9:21

"I loathe my own life; I will give full vent to my complaint; I will speak in the bitterness of my soul. Job 10:1

Mind

When my anxious thoughts multiply within me, Your consolations delight my soul. Psalm 94:19

My soul keeps Your testimonies, And I love them exceedingly. Psalm 119:167

There are literally hundreds of scriptures with the word soul/nephesh here is a link that you can look up.

http://www.biblestudytools.com/lexicons/hebrew/nas/nephesh.html

2014/8/22 19:19Profile
InTheLight

Phoenix, Arizona USA

You aren't going to find a one verse answer to your question but you will need to search many scriptures.

As was already suggested, search the Old Testament use of the Hebrew word nephesh. Also, search the New Testament use of the Greek word psuche. I would suggest starting with the King James translation because it almost always use the English word 'soul' for nephesh and psuche. Modern translations tend to use a variety of words and idioms.

You may also want to study the use of the words ruach and pneuma to get an understanding of the spirit and therefore the differences between soul and spirit.

In Christ,

Ron

2014/8/22 20:03Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy