SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : Which Commandments?

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
PosterThread

Which Commandments?

1 John 5:3
For this is the love of God, that we keep His commandments, and His commandments are not burdensome.

Brethren which commandments is John speaking of here.

(If I was a betting man I think I know how the forum will answer.:-)

Blaine :-)

2014/8/15 13:48
TMK

NC, USA

Re: A Which Commandments?

Believe on Jesus and love one another.

John 3:23; John 13:34

2014/8/15 15:16Profile
rookie

Savannah TN

Re:

What ever the Lord commands you to do.

2014/8/15 15:18Profile
amranger

Montana

(1John 3:23 [KJV])

And this is his commandment, That we should believe on the name of his Son Jesus Christ, and love one another, as he gave us commandment.

2014/8/15 15:44Profile
MaryJane

Greetings Blaine

The BIBLE tells us in John 14:15 "If you love me, you will obey what I command." That seems to cover all commands given to us by the LORD.

I think of it like this, as a parent I give my children instruction and rules to follow and I expect them to obey each of them. I think it works the same way for us, GOD the FATHER has given us commands and expects they be obeyed and submitted to. Not some, but all...what is truly amazing though is that HE also gives us the HOLY SPIRIT so that we can obey and submit. Not by our own strength but by HIS.

God bless
maryjane

2014/8/15 15:50Profile
dfella

Canton, Michigan

Re:

Master, which is the great commandment in the law? Jesus said unto him, Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind. This is the first and great commandment. And the second is like unto it, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself. On these two commandments hang all the law and the prophets.
(Matthew 22:36-40)

One cannot keep any of the 10 commandments until he first love God and his neighbor.

2014/8/15 17:12Profile
brothagary

Re:

loving god with all your heart is part of the ten commands ,,the rest of the comands really hang from that one command ,,it really means to the Christians we need to repent from idoarty of the heart,, addictions are usually one false god that Christians have there heart set on ,,greed ,the love of money ,and covetous with is idolatry

that greatest command really is used by god through the spirit to Pearce our hearts and show our idolatry

the spirit writes that law on our hearts and conscience ,
and love your neighborers deals with hate and selfish ambitions when repented of the new comets love our enemy's will be delt with after that

but when Christians and sinners have hardened there hearts against the Gospel ,and the conscience becomes weak and defiled ,,then the old law its self is good when used lawful as Paul said ,,and preaching the ten commandments and others laws of the old acts to convict the hardened heart who cant any more hear the spirits message

we see this principle in actions throughout the new testament

2014/8/15 19:42Profile
brothagary

Re:

blain he is speaking about the whole moral law given by moses which is writtern on our heart by the spirit

jesus said in the old testament to those under the first covenent,, i will write my laws on there hearts

2014/8/15 19:47Profile

Re:

Gary,

John is actually speaking of the command to believe in the Name of Jesus Christ and to love one another. This is born out in 1 John 3:23-24. These are His commandments which are not burdensome.

Blaine

2014/8/16 12:21
RogerB

Bruceton TN

Re: Which Commandments?

Looked at many times before.

The story of the 10 lepers comes to mind. One turned back and gave thanks. He was a gentile. Gentiles can't go pay what Moses required. He would have been tossed out. Neither can they participate in the old covenant even today, which was for the the Israelites. They are on the outer court of that system, outside looking in hoping for their day.

Moses didn't go into the promise land. That's a picture of something greater. His system was to end. We enter the kingdom by faith and faith alone. Caleb had faith.

The old covenant was the 10 commandments. They also had physical earthly promises. I can't find those promises in the new covenant. I see us as strangers in the earth. After all we died to the law in baptism. Earth and it's things are not ours anymore. We belong to the kingdom of God.

When Jesus speaks in the gospels he says "You have heard"..
He speaks of things from the old package. Now the focus is on an entirely different thing. Can't put new wine in old bottles.

Be careful of what one adds to the Sabbath day. It doesn't say you must attend church. I read in the law where three times a year you shall you appear before the Lord, and they are feast days.

You can look at the transfiguration where Moses, Elijah and Jesus appeared. The voice from heaven said, "Hear my son".
Didn't say listen to Moses.

2014/8/16 12:24Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy