Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : The author of Hebrews

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
PosterThread
twayneb

Joplin, Missouri

The author of Hebrews

Who do you personally believe authored the book of Hebrews and why? Can you give some specific evidence as to why you have come to your conclusion?

2014/7/30 13:45Profile
TMK

NC, USA

Re: The author of Hebrews

A woman, of course ;)

2014/7/30 13:53Profile

Paul. History. See quote:

Quote:
"[Clement] has given in the Hupotyposes abridged accounts of all canonical Scripture, not omitting the disputed books, I refer to Jude and the other Catholic epistles, and Barnabas and the so-called Apocalypse of Peter. He says that the Epistle to the Hebrews is the work of Paul, and that it was written to the Hebrews in the Hebrew language; but that Luke translated it carefully and published it for the Greeks, and hence the same style of expression is found in this epistle and in the Acts. But he says that the words, Paul the Apostle, were probably not prefixed, because, in sending it to the Hebrews, who were prejudiced and suspicious of him, he wisely did not wish to repel them at the very beginning by giving his name. Farther on he says: "But now, as the blessed presbyter said, since the Lord being the apostle of the Almighty, was sent to the Hebrews, Paul, as sent to the Gentiles, on account of his modesty did not subscribe himself an apostle of the Hebrews, through respect for the Lord, and because being a herald and apostle of the Gentiles he wrote to the Hebrews out of his superabundance . Again, in the same books, Clement gives the tradition of the earliest presbyters, as to the order of the Gospels, in the following manner: The Gospels containing the genealogies, he says, were written first. The Gospel according to Mark had this occasion. As Peter had preached the Word publicly at Rome, and declared the Gospel by the Spirit, many who were present requested that Mark, who had followed him for a long time and remembered his sayings, should write them out. And having composed the Gospel he gave it to those who had requested it. When Peter learned of this, he neither directly forbade nor encouraged it. But, last of all, John, perceiving that the external facts had been made plain in the Gospel, being urged by his friends, and inspired by the Spirit, composed a spiritual Gospel. This is the account of Clement. Euseb Hist Book VI:XIV

my source: http://www.ao.net/~fmoeller/hebrew.html

2014/7/30 14:00

Re:

Does it really.make any difference which human vessel God used to write Hebrews?

I think we can all agree that it was authored by God Himself.

The more important question is what is the message of Hebrews? What is God saying to us through this book that mentions Jesus more than any book in the New Testament.

Brarmaster

2014/7/30 14:26
drifter

Campbell River, B.C.

Re:

Jude is most definitely NOT a "Catholic epistle".

2014/7/30 14:49Profile
Sidewalk

San Diego

Re: Hebrews

For many years I pondered the account in Luke of the conversation between Cleopas and the other un-named disciple. I recall a color picture from when (Moses and I) went to Sunday school together of Jesus walking along and making a point to the enthralled men. From that time I had always wished I could have heard all the words the Master brought that day.

So it happened a few years ago that I had mentioned this in my personal worship/prayer. I have learned to ask questions and listen for answers in the Spirit, knowing that He will not answer outside of the safe confines of the Scripture. I love Jeremiah 33:3 which I take personally, "Ask of Me, and I will tell you great and mighty things that you do not know!"

So I considered the extraordinary circumstances of the Road to Emmaus event. Jesus was active on the earth following His ressurection for only a short time before He ascended. He had specific things to do. On one of those precious days, He comes along side two disciples walking to Emmaus. He covers them with a mysterious blindness to keep them from recognizing Him, for an important purpose we must conclude. Then He lays out the entire connection between the words of the prophets through the present events, proving the complete truth of His work in history and the redemption. He wanted them to hear it, to know it, and most certainly to keep it in the gospel message.

Notice how when they get to Emmaus He acted as if He were going to go further. He was not going to Emmaus! And when they invited Him in to share a meal, He gladly obliged- He wasn't going anywhere else, either!

As He broke the bread, they instantly recognized Him, and as His task was complete- He vanished from their sight!

Cleopas and his partner were both astonished and driven to return quickly to the other disciples to recount this event. There were two men, each confirming the witness as required by law. They were vessels of some very extraordinary information!

And so it was that I asked God, more lamenting really, that the conversation was given to two men, and we never had a way to hear it.

That's why I was surprised to hear in my spirit the words, "Maybe you do have it."

Hebrews!

The book is in some ways a bit dry and contains lengthy explanations. But it is ripping with passion, written by someone on fire with the message being shared! It is not just necessary filler, but alive with so much that the writer almost falls all over himself with the details he pours into the narrative. It is almost a style all its own, as if written by an author not otherwise known among the New Testament people we do know. Bits and pieces suggest Paul or others, but lines of comparison are very thin. It is a special book, so inspired and inspiring!

I do not know who wrote it. God did not tell me that and again I emphasize that God speaks from the authority of His written word and whatever any of us hear from Him must conform to that word. Many have added and taken away believing themselves especially worthy of having God talk to them outside the schoolyard. I do not go there! If I cannot see it clearly pictured in the written word it is beyond my authority- and probably from the mind of Satan.

But at the same time, His promise to reveal is clear, and "eye hath not seen nor ear heard all that He has prepared for those who love Him."

So that is why I like the Cleopas authorship idea. Beyond that we don't even know if Cleopas could write, let alone his style. Maybe the un-named man was the writer, maybe he was someone whose name we might know?? And maybe they gave the information to the real writer?

Just fun stuff to think about, but the personal element of believing I heard from God enhances both my interest and my passion for the book of Hebrews!

Whew. So, twayneb, can you give us the Apollos perspective?

2014/7/30 23:16Profile

to ME, and this is JUST my opinion, Hebrews, soaring as it is, doesn't "read" like Paul. Apollos is given great mention in Acts, therefore I THINK authorship MIGHT be Apollos.....I even think that Revelations, MIGHT be written by John the Presbyter. John Zebedee writes so deceptively SIMPLE, yet his words, as given by God...are so simple, they contain a complexity inherent, that compels the reader, to take go over and over, what that dear man is conveying in Messiah. I just LOVE the Word, Its Sweet Food to me. and I wonder....who wrote Job?..what a Book that is too!!! Joyfull it is, that WE, in America 2014, are still free to own and read the Word of God, without babylonic hindrance...that might be coming.

as these are NOT salvation issues, I have no appetite for arguing, meaning if any saints, disagree with me, that's okay. i'm just chiming in....meekly.

God love you all, neil

2014/7/31 9:54

Re:

according to Clement, it was translated by Luke into Greek for the world. originally penned in Hebrew for the hebrews by Paul. That's the factoid anyway.

2014/7/31 12:35
passerby

Re:

Christian tradition teaches that Paul was the original author of the book of hebrews. Doubts in the authorship only arose in 1800s re on the layout of the manuscript or apropos 'writing style'.The argument is rather based on technicalities.

The theology however, is definitely of the apostle Paul, when you read the hebrews whom do you read? and how about the mention of 'Timothy', Paul's true son in faith (Tim 1:2).

Hebrews is a transcribed material where some ommissions and alterations e.g. quotes from Septuagint (the Greek Old Testament) instead of the original hebrews was committed by the transcriber, resulting into an altered manuscript.

2014/7/31 15:55Profile
passerby

Re:

I am just pondering on the heaviness of the theological and eternal implications of the book of hebrews, I cannot but think that it must be an apostle,who originally delivered it. The authority implied or needed is just tremendous, the theology introduced is not something to mess with, it could send someone to hell.

2014/7/31 16:20Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy