SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
Discussion Forum : News and Current Events : Second US Citizen Infected With Ebola In Liberia, Which Shuts Down Borders To Slow Epidemic

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
PosterThread

Second US Citizen Infected With Ebola In Liberia, Which Shuts Down Borders To Slow Epidemic

Thu Jul 24, 2014 2:57pm GMT

LAGOS (Reuters) - A Liberian man in his 40s is being tested for the deadly Ebola virus in Nigeria's commercial capital of Lagos, a megacity of 21 million people, the Lagos State Health Ministry said on Thursday.

Ebola has killed 632 people across Guinea, Liberia and Sierra Leone since an outbreak began in February, straining a string of weak health systems despite international help.

This would be the first recorded case of one of the world's deadliest diseases in Nigeria, Africa's biggest economy and most populous nation, with 170 million people and some of Africa's least adequate health infrastructure.
---------------------------------------------------

pray saints. if this pathogens starts to run loose in Lagos, you could be looking at a global pandemic. This is the first time in my life of 54, i ever seen the POTENTIAL of Ebola loosed in anything OTHER than a fairly remote jungle village. Ebola is like a wildfire, its a Level 4 pathogen, with high lethality.....and with jet travel?

pray.

2014/7/24 14:06

Ebola Victim On The Run In West Africa Capital

"It's gone from bad (Mapping Africa's "Totally Out Of Control" Ebola Epidemic) to worse, (Head Doctor Fighting Africa's "Out Of Control" Ebola Epidemic Contracts The Virus), to much worse (Liberian Man Tested For Ebola In World's Fourth Most Populous City), to having run out of comparaitves - although we are leery of using a superlative just yet as we have a feeling Africa's Ebola's epidemic will deteriorate before it gets better. But the latest news is bad enough: as Reuters reported moments ago, Sierra Leone officials appealed for help on Friday to trace the first known resident in the capital with Ebola whose family forcibly removed her from a Freetown hospital after testing positive for the deadly disease."

How big is Sierra Leone's capital Freetown: just around 1 million inhabitants, so yes, things are suddenly very much uncontained.

More:

Radio stations in Freetown broadcast the appeal on Friday to locate a woman who tested positive for the disease that has killed 660 people across Guinea, Liberia and Sierra Leone since an outbreak was first identified in February.

"Saudatu Koroma of 25 Old Railway Line, Brima Lane, Wellington," the announcement said. "She is a positive case and her being out there is a risk to all. We need the public to help us locate her."

Koroma, 32, a resident of the densely populated Wellington neighborhood, had been admitted to an isolation ward while blood samples were tested for the virus, Health ministry spokesman Sidi Yahya Tunis. The results came back on Thursday.

"The family of the patient stormed the hospital and forcefully removed her and took her away," Tunis said. "We are searching for her."

What is just as bad is that even without this latest shocking development, the death toll from the epidemic has already hit 660 according to the WHO, cited by AFP.

And now we await news out of the world's fourth largest city, Nigeria's capital Lagos, where a man collapsed at the airport and is now being tested whether he too had Ebola, and we are confused how the market is not trading at fresh all time highs following what is now a recreation of the plot of the movie Outbreak. Just consider how much GDP was created or not destroyed there.

http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2014-07-25/ebola-victim-run-west-africa-capital

2014/7/25 20:07
ginnyrose

Mississippi

Re: Ebola Victim On The Run In West Africa Capital

Check this out:

http://abcnews.go.com/Health/story?id=117310

2014/7/25 20:46Profile
InTheLight

Phoenix, Arizona USA

Re:

I've done some study on ebola in the past and it is a fearsome disease however there are two factors that would contradict the conclusions of that article.

First, the disease is spread only by direct contact with the bodily fluids of one who is infected. Often it is one who has handled the dead body or medical professionals that get infected. It is my understanding that it is fairly common for family members in some areas of Africa to prepare the bodies of their loved ones for burial.

Second, it often kills so quickly that there isn't much time for the infected person to spread the disease.

These two factors work together to limit the spread of outbreaks and it should be noted that since winter the current outbreak - the worst ever recorded - has been mercifully limited to about 1000 cases.

It is doubtful that what killed so many so quickly in Europe during the "black plague" was ebola. In fairness the article did say it may have been "ebola like", not ebola; but with the current ebola outbreak in full swing it seems this may just be fear-mongering.

What would be truly frightful is if this virus mutated to a form that could be spread airborne like a cold. That would truly be devastating. Lord have mercy.

In Christ,

Ron

2014/7/25 21:46Profile

Second US Citizen Infected With Ebola In Liberia, Which Shuts Down Borders To Slo

Update, one which many will say has been long overdue: Liberia Shuts Border Crossings to Slow Ebola Spread. From Bloomberg:

•Liberia Shuts Border Crossings to Slow Ebola Spread: Allafrica
•Only major border crossings at Roberts International Airport, James Spriggs Payne Airport, Foya Crossing, Bo Waterside Crossing, Ganta Crossing to remain open, AllAfrica.com says, citing Liberian govt statement.
•At those entry points, testing centers to be set up; “stringent” preventive measures to be announced
•New travel policy by Liberia Airport Authority on inspection, testing of all passengers to be strictly observed
•There will be restrictions on public gatherings incl. solidarity marches, demonstrations
•Hotels, restaurants, entertainment centers, video clubs to play 5-min. film on Ebola awareness, prevention
•Govt vehicles to be commandeered, as needed, to support health delivery system
•All govt facilities, public places to install/provide public access for hand-washing

It was a few short hours ago when we reported that as part of the escalating Ebola epidemic in West Africa a US doctor, Kent Brantly had himself succumbed to the deadly virus. Moments ago we found out that a second US doctor from the same aid organization in Liberia, Nancy Writebol, has been infected with Ebola.

Two U.S. citizens are now reported to be infected with the deadly and incurable Ebola virus in West Africa.

The first American reported to have contracted the disease is an American doctor working with Ebola patients in Liberia, who tested positive for the deadly virus, North Carolina-based Samaritan's Purse issued said in a news release on Saturday.

The second person who reportedly tested positive for Ebola is a woman employed by an aid organization in Liberia who is a married mother of two.

In a statement on Sunday, Samaritan's Purse said: "Nancy Writebol is employed by SIM in Liberia and was helping the joint Samaritan's Purse/SIM team that is treating Ebola patients at the Case Management Center in Monrovia."

Writebol's age and hometown have not been released at this time.

What is most disturbing is that the two physicians have contracted the lethal disease despite apparently taking much needed precations to avoid infection as the following photos below demonstrate.

http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2014-07-27/second-us-citizen-infected-ebola-liberia

2014/7/27 21:25
MaryJane

Re: Second US Citizen Infected With Ebola In Liberia, Which Shuts Down Borders To Sl

Reading on this and wondering, if it hits here in the United States do you think the government will declare marshal law?
Each day this story seems to get worse. I have been praying for those sickened with this horrible disease.

God bless
maryjane

2014/7/30 22:12Profile

MJ and all the saints

Quote:
Reading on this and wondering, if it hits here in the United States do you think the government will declare marshal law?
Each day this story seems to get worse. I have been praying for those sickened with this horrible disease.

martial law in the event of Ebola reaching these shores?

here's a something to read:

"It is now being reported that Patrick Sawyer, whose sister also died from Ebola, was allowed on two ASKY Airlines flights in Liberia while infected with the deadly virus, Ebola, which painfully kills 90% of its victims.

Patient Zero, Patrick Sawyer, had a layover in Ghana then changed planes in Togo and flew to an international travel hub of Lagos, located in Nigeria. Nigeria is also the site of an Ebola outbreak. “The dad-of-three died five days after arriving in the city”. His sister, with whom Sawyer had contact, died of Ebola. He should never have been allowed to board any plane.

A desperate search is on to find the hundreds of passengers who flew on the same jets as Sawyer. A total of 59 passengers and crew are estimated to have come into contact with Sawyer and effort is being made to track each individual down. There is an inherent problem with this “track down”. Presumably, some of the passengers connected to other flights, which is known to be the case. Let’s just say, for the sake of argument, that only 20 people, a low estimate given the nature of the airports that Sawyer was traveling in, were connecting to other flights, the spread of the virus would quickly expand beyond any possibility of containment because in less than a half a day, nearly a half a million people would be potentially exposed. Within a matter of a couple of hours, Sawyer’s infected fellow travelers would each have made contact with 200 other passengers and crew. Hours later, these flights would land and these people would go home to the friends, families and coworkers across several continents.

The fact is that the window for tracking down Sawyers initial point of contact with the traveling public, has closed. Patient Zero has tipped the very first dominoes in what could prove to be the worst epidemic in human history.

Not to Worry Says the U.S. Government

United States health officials say they are not worried because Ebola is transmitted through exposure to bodily fluids.

“…Witnesses say Sawyer, a 40-year-old Liberian Finance Ministry employee en route to a conference in Nigeria, was vomiting and had diarrhea aboard at least one of his flights with some 50 other passengers aboard. Ebola can be contracted from traces of feces or vomit, experts say”. I would submit that it is time to get worried. And given the fact that we now know that Ebola detection kits have been deployed in National Guard unit kits in all 50 states, it would appear that someone knew about this possibility for sometime.

We are either looking at gross negligence or a well-planned conspiracy."

http://www.thecommonsenseshow.com/2014/07/30/ebolas-patient-zero-has-been-identified-global-transmission-has-begun/

here's something to watch:

"Ebola - What You're Not Being Told "
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JnQVUf775VE

I join you in prayer, love neil

2014/7/31 15:34
MaryJane

Re: MJ and all the saints

Greetings Neil

thanks for sharing these links with us. Was wondering what your thoughts on the news that the president still plans to have a three day summit of leaders from countries that have outbreaks near them. I also read that the CDC said that it is not a risk to the United States at this time.

http://dailycaller.com/2014/07/30/ebola-outbreak-wont-stop-obamas-plans-for-summit-of-african-leaders/

I think with so many things happening prayer is what we need to be spending our time in.

God bless
maryjane

2014/7/31 15:55Profile

Re:

prayer, MJ prayer!

the "more" I THINK I know?....the less I REALLY know.

this dark black fell news of the world, coming at us, so fast....so dark.....I praise God for tucking me away in the wildwoods.....i'm in earnest....I lived and worked in the two biggest cities until May 11, when He, our Father God tucked me away, in a county, the size of Manhattan, yet with only 20,000 souls.

I don't know anything anymore, EXCEPT "Christ and Him Crucified"......Praise The Name, neil

2014/7/31 16:01
MaryJane

Re:

Greetings Neil

I do think prayer is the best thing. Perhaps I will step away from the news for a while. I find myself feeling a bit of struggle with fear just now. I don't want to give in to fear in this or anything else for that matter. I don't want to stumble and sin against my JESUS.

I do appreciate your encouraging me to keep my focus on JESUS. I need to be mindful and keep my eyes on the LORD.

Thank you for taking the time to reply.

God bless
maryjane

2014/7/31 16:21Profile

©2002-2020 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Affiliate Disclosure | Privacy Policy