Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
PosterThread
sermonindex

Canada

Online!
 NKJV most popular Bible

[img]https://www.sermonindex.net/images/forum/2004/may/featured_news.gif[/img]

Thomas Nelson Inc.’s aim to sell 1 million copies of the New King James Version of the Bible in one year has been so successful that the Nashville-based Christian publisher is scrambling to keep up with the demand.

Three weeks after hitting the streets in March, sales of the 506-page, plain-text version of the Good Book reached the halfway mark, putting Thomas Nelson on track to sell 4 million to 5 million copies by the end of its target date next Easter.

Much of the success can be attributed to the rock-bottom price of $1 per Bible. Working through the retail channels of the Christian Booksellers Association, Nelson is recommending CBA’s 2,500 affiliate bookstores in the United States sell the Bible in packages of five for $5 or 20 for $20.

For the first time since 1982, the Million Bible Challenge has helped propel the New King James Version Bible translation to No. 1 on the CBA bestseller list, displacing the long-standing favorite, the New International Version.

“It is exciting to see how Christian retail stores around the country have stepped up to the challenge. It is a great example of publishers and retailers working together,” said Bill Anderson, president of CBA.

2005/4/18 16:50Profile
philologos

Reading, UK

Re: NKJV most popular Bible

This is encouraging. I regard the NKJV as a great introduction to the KJV. :-D

2005/4/18 18:07Profile
sermonindex

Canada

Online!
 Re:

Quote:
This is encouraging. I regard the NKJV as a great introduction to the KJV.

Yes I found this to be very encouraging news also. The NKJV is a very literal translation that really takes most of its inspiration from the KJV and makes some more contemprary word changes and a few manuscript changes. But the same greek manuscripts the translations are based off so thats a great consistency.

I agree with you Ron the NKJV is a great platform to start before you get into the KJV. The differences are subtle but well worth the effort, plus the KJV sounds nicer and more reverent. :-P

Calvary Chapel leaders mostly use KJV and promote NKJV to the congregations. Chuck Smith really believes and teaches that many of the other translations are quite false and not really that benefical [b]compared[/b] to the KJV.

2005/4/18 21:56Profile
philologos

Reading, UK

Re:

Quote:
The differences are subtle but well worth the effort, plus the KJV sounds nicer and more reverent.

This is a mixed blessing. By all that I can research the KJV is 'nicer and more reverent' than the original languages. As a translation it was designed for the ear. koine greek, the form of Greek used in the NT, was not the language of the scholar or philosopher but the language of the market place and ordinary 'common' communication; hence the word 'koine' which means 'common'.

The KJV is my bible of choice, but even as I read it publicly I modify it where I feel the original would hinder communication of the truth.

One of the great sorrows of modern church life is the proliferation of versions which has meant that at times you have to say, please don't follow me in your version, just listen to me. The 'reading' of a chapter is now a struggle rather than a common link.

2005/4/19 3:29Profile

Re:

It's just too bad that the meaning of many many verses in the NKJV are lost because of the change of the pronouns "thee" "thou" and "ye" was dropped and replaced with "you".

In some cases it effects doctrine.

Krispy

2005/4/19 11:40
RobertW

St. Joseph, Missouri

Re:

Most Gideon Bibles I have seen are NKJV. That should account for a lot of placements.

2005/4/19 13:47Profile
sermonindex

Canada

Online!
 Re:

Quote:
Most Gideon Bibles I have seen are NKJV. That should account for a lot of placements.

Hmm.. As far as I know whenever I have seen an Gideons bible it is the [b]NASB[/b] (New American Standard Bible) not the NKJV. Calvary Chapel and other movements are starting to use NKJV as the standard for teaching and pew bibles.

2005/4/19 14:28Profile
RobertW

St. Joseph, Missouri

Re:

Hi Bro. Greg,

Yea, there is probably a variety out there. Most of the Gideons I have seen were on business tripsout west and mainly in Las Vegas. The wierd thing is that the covers are also Gold. I wished they were KJV but NKJV was good also. At times things would seem so crazy I would lock myself in the bathroom and read the Gideon bible.

It is interesting that they would prefer the NKJV as the standard. I think I would much prefer that to the other 'easier to read versions.' But, I still keep use my Companion KJV. :-)

God bless,

-Robert

2005/4/19 15:18Profile

Re: NKJV most popular Bible

Has anyone ever read the original King James Version? The very first english version is unreadable, you can't read it. The english that we know today was still being developed in the 16th Century. By the way, in that same original edition the apocrypha was apart of the KJV, they were dropped later on.

Karl

2005/4/19 15:50
deltadom

Hemel Hempstead

Re:

I have read the Tyndale Bible which is before the King James in the cathedral bookshop
[img]http://images-eu.amazon.com/images/P/0712346643.02.LZZZZZZZ.jpg[/img]
I have read hymn books which still refer to the catholic church, one of my friends has almost got an original commen book of prayer which is falling apart.

2005/4/19 19:53Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy