SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : Criminal Minds

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
PosterThread
HeartSong

Criminal Minds

My mother has been telling me for some time now about a television show that she enjoys that is called "Criminal Minds." Last night I decided to check it out and watched a short clip that the program had posted on their YouTube channel.

Well, I must say I left feeling somewhat disconcerted as within three minutes there was much yelling and shooting and someone got stabbed with an ice pick. I really should have repented at that point in time, but did not really think that any damage had been done until later in the night when I had strange dreams about buildings blowing up and new kinds of incendiary devices all mixed in with some weird kind of church service where the pastor leaped from a tall building to avoid an explosion.

This was a far cry from my normal sweet sleep and reaffirms my belief that things that we take in become a part of our being - whether it be the Word, or some form of abomination in the eyes of the LORD. Needless to say, I have repented of choosing the latter.

2014/7/4 16:47Profile
DEADn

Lakeland FL

Re: Criminal Minds

Criminal Minds is about human nature and using the knowledge gained in understand how a criminal mind works in order to find that person. I think it is an excellent show because it is very analytical. I like psychology and it uses this as well to snuff out the person. It deals with what goes on in the real world but in a show atmosphere. The only bad part is that there are people who are bad in this world and do the very things that happen in this show. The great part is how the detectives can use evidence from the scene as well as human nature to put together the piece to get the person. Each person on the team has a different skill and when put together IT WORKS!

Look at it from that perspective and you will learn alot from the show.

2014/7/5 9:10Profile
drifter

Campbell River, B.C.

Re:

I know this might sound crazy but... television is a form of mind control. To anyone who owns a television, please throw it out. Don't sell it. Destroy it. That might sound extreme.
As for Criminal Minds and such shows like it; for many years I was a couch potato. It has taken a long time to scrub that garbage out of my mind. Even "innocent programs" like nature shows etc. are largely a waste of time; that money you spend on televisions and monthly cable bills could be spent to propagate the gospel. The time you spend watching it could be spent in sweet communion with Jesus. Where is your heart? What would you rather be doing?

The following is part of an article by Chris M. Carmichael:
"If you experience "mind fog" after watching television, you are not alone. Studies have shown that watching television induces low alpha waves in the human brain. Alpha waves are brainwaves between 8 to 12 HZ. and are commonly associated with relaxed meditative states as well as brain states associated with suggestibility.
While Alpha waves achieved through meditation are beneficial (they promote relaxation and insight), too much time spent in the low Alpha wave state caused by TV can cause unfocussed daydreaming and inability to concentrate. Researchers have said that watching television is similar to staring at a blank wall for several hours. In an experiment in 1969, Herbert Krugman monitored a person through many trials and found that in less than one minute of television viewing, the person's brainwaves switched from Beta waves-- brainwaves associated with active, logical thought-- to primarily Alpha waves. When the subject stopped watching television and began reading a magazine, the brainwaves reverted to Beta waves.
One thing this indicates is that most parts of the brain, parts responsible for logical thought, tune out during television viewing. The impact of television viewing on one person's brain state is obviously not enough to conclude that the same consequences apply to everyone; however, research involving many others, completed in the years following Krugman's experiment, has repeatedly shown that watching television produces brainwaves in the low Alpha range

2014/7/5 13:29Profile
DEADn

Lakeland FL

Re:

Drifter

Tell us of your experience of destroying your tv. Using that money to promote the Gospel and using that time to preach the Gospel? Tell us the difference it has made in your life as a result.

2014/7/5 16:56Profile
InTheLight

Phoenix, Arizona USA

Quote:
This was a far cry from my normal sweet sleep and reaffirms my belief that things that we take in become a part of our being - whether it be the Word, or some form of abomination in the eyes of the LORD. Needless to say, I have repented of choosing the latter.

Great reminder about being very careful of what we feed our souls. It would not be so damaging to those who watch such trash if the mind could be equipped, like your kitchen sink, with a garbage disposal. Then you could flush away all the filth and be done with it, but the mind does not work that way. It stores up impressions for a lifetime. The only way to protect the mind is to expose it to only the best.

In Christ,

Ron

2014/7/5 18:09Profile
TMK

NC, USA

Re:

I don't really believe in this mind control stuff. As very intelligent beings we can choose not to be controlled.

I understand that TV can have a numbing or relaxing effect because it doesn't require any effort to watch. That is why it has been called the boob tube for years.

I also agree that it is not good to put trash into our minds. Whether a show like Criminal Minds is trash or not is a matter of opinion. I have never seen it myself.

There are persons in the real world who have to deal with nasty stuff on a daily basis. Should a Christian never be a police officer? Or soldier? Or a child services worker? I have to deal with some unsettling things at my job on a fairly regular basis.

My point is that yes TV is fiction but it depicts things that really happen in real life and that real people have to deal with daily. We can stick our heads in the sand and pretend bad stuff doesn't happen but it surely does.

2014/7/5 18:35Profile

I like what David had to say in Psalms 101: 3 I will set before my eyes no vile thing. Today it is common for people to be entertained by using their eyes to view violence, ect.... God's people must guard their hearts and eyes from viewing or being entertained by things that God himself regards as vile God call the righteous to hate and shun evil and to guard their lives and families by setting nothing before their eyes that would displease or grieve the Holy Spirit. Good for you HeartSong. You have a heart of David, a heart after God.

2014/7/5 18:51
brothagary

Re:

im not take sides ,,becasue i dont have a tv ,,tho i do at times watch somes movies ,and many doctumentrys i try to allways find ones that have a eturnal relevence

when you out witnessing you may witness some vile things and in jobs like tmk said ,,,but gods grace will cleanse our minds ,,,but i do believe that tv music and movies are used by satan to conrole through sublinalmessages ,,and decenatising ,,and tv adiction ,,fleshly strongholds ,,its undenable

lets not take david to far out of context ,,,he killed thousands of people saw more blood then we can comprehend ,hated his enemeys ,,,he saw so much violence that he was not aloud to build the temple

2014/7/5 21:53Profile
MrBillPro

Texas

Re:

Quote:
drifter....I know this might sound crazy but... television is a form of mind control. To anyone who owns a television, please throw it out. Don't sell it. Destroy it. That might sound extreme.

There has been more minds controlled by the junk on the internet, than anything in the history of mankind. So we either quit worrying about the tube, or all of us internet users just become hypocrites. I haven't heard of the tube showing anyone how to build a bomb yet, or seen any TV ads selling illegal drugs.

2014/7/5 23:57Profile
TMK

NC, USA

Re:

Mr bill you are absolutely right as I type this on my iPhone.

I think the internet and gaming has done far more damage than TV.

2014/7/6 9:29Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy