SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : Is the Bible finished and complete??

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
PosterThread

Is the Bible finished and complete??

I saw this article and it made me ask this question. Note the last sentence. Is there a possiblity that some of these Christian Gospels should be included in the New Testament? By what process would this happen?

Bubbaguy

Eureka! Extraordinary discovery unlocks secrets of the ancients
By David Keys and Nicholas Pyke
17 April 2005

Thousands of previously illegible manuscripts containing work by some of the greats of classical literature are being read for the first time using technology which experts believe will unlock the secrets of the ancient world.

Among treasures already discovered by a team from Oxford University are previously unseen writings by classical giants including Sophocles, Euripides and Hesiod. Invisible under ordinary light, the faded ink comes clearly into view when placed under infra-red light, using techniques developed from satellite imaging.

The Oxford documents form part of the great papyrus hoard salvaged from an ancient rubbish dump in the Graeco-Egyptian town of Oxyrhynchus more than a century ago. The thousands of remaining documents, which will be analysed over the next decade, are expected to include works by Ovid and Aeschylus, plus a series of Christian gospels which have been lost for up to 2,000 years.

2005/4/18 13:11

Re: Is the Bible finished and complete??

Bubba Guy pasted:

Quote:
writings by classical giants including Sophocles, Euripides and Hesiod.

I have never even heard of these guys, let alone being giants.

But as to these findings, it will be something to look into.

Any links?

Karl

2005/4/18 13:24

Re:

There could be more to the Bible... IF, and ONLY IF you believe that God failed to fulfill His promise to preserve His Word forever. And if you believe that, then how can we trust that the 66 books of the Bible are even His Word? How do we know anything?

No, the Word of God is complete and finished. If it wasnt, then God is a liar, and we are all fools.

Krispy

2005/4/18 13:40

Re:

Karl, Here's the link to the story.

http://news.independent.co.uk/world/science_technology/story.jsp?story=630166

2005/4/18 13:42

Re:

From the article:

"thousands of remaining documents, which will be analysed over the next decade, are [b][i]expected[/i][/b] to include works by Ovid and Aeschylus, plus a series of Christian gospels which have been lost for up to 2,000 years."

First, this is speculative at best. They dont know what they have at this point.

Secondly, there are no other legitimate books of the Bible other than what God has preserved for us in the Cannon. However, should there be something found, like the "Gospel of Thomas", I'm sure that many in the church will jump all over it... because they do not understand or believe the promise of God concerning His Word.

It will only serve to stir up more apostacy.

Krispy

2005/4/18 13:58

Re:

Krispy,

Do you believe in the continuing revelation of God's will?

Bubbaguy

2005/4/18 14:20

Re:

Quote:

Clarify that question for me, if you would please. I want to avoid the "dance of the semantics", if you know what I mean.

Krispy

2005/4/18 14:51

Re:

Krispy,

I (we) get information about God from three principle sources: the Scriptures, from our spiritual/religious community, and from the Holy Spirit.

When you say "the Word of God is complete and finished" it makes me think you accept information about God from the first two, but not the third, since God's word is finished and fully revealed. The concept of continuing revelation of the Word of God allows that there is more to be known and that the Bible is not the completion. The Bible is the historical record of those gone before. We get the benefit of this, as well as correction and guidance through the Holy Spirit in the present.

Hope this is clarification enough.

Bubbaguy

2005/4/18 15:13

Re:

Quote:
When you say "the Word of God is complete and finished" it makes me think you accept information about God from the first two, but not the third, since God's word is finished and fully revealed. The concept of continuing revelation of the Word of God allows that there is more to be known and that the Bible is not the completion. The Bible is the historical record of those gone before. We get the benefit of this, as well as correction and guidance through the Holy Spirit in the present.

I think you're correct... to a point. I dont believe the Holy Spirit reveals anything new outside of what has already been revealed in scripture. I dont understand all that is in the Bible... no one does. But as I grow and mature in the Lord, the Holy Spirit is constantly revealing truths that are new [b]to me[/b] from scripture.

There is no new "extra-biblical" revelation. But the Holy Spirit leads us into all truth by continually teaching and revealing truths [b]thru scripture[/b].

Thats what I believe... did I make sense?

Krispy

2005/4/18 15:25
sermonindex

Canada

Online!
 Re:

Quote:

There are over 100+ synoptic gospels varying from ones that are obviously false to ones that date back near the time of Christ. God's testimony of the scriptures that have been persevered over these last 2000 years is reliable and if you have questions about it I would think you should read a book about the forming of the bible and how it came to be.

2005/4/18 15:30Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy