SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
See Opportunities to Serve with SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : News and Current Events : "singer claims Christian rock bands fake faith"

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread

"singer claims Christian rock bands fake faith"

(NOTE-doesn't surprise me in these dark days)

"Imprisoned As I Lay Dying singer claims Christian rock bands fake faith

Tim Lambesis, who pleaded guilty to conspiring to kill his estranged wife, says his band lied about their faith to win fans

Tim Lambesis, the As I Lay Dying frontman who was sentenced to six years in prison for conspiring to kill his estranged wife in May, has claimed that his band faked their faith in order to continue to appeal to Christian fans.

Speaking to Alternative Press in the days ahead of his sentencing, Lambesis described his obsession with the gym and steroids, as well as his views on philosophy and relationship with religion. Although often touring with a circle of Christian bands, the singer said that he and his bandmates gradually lost their faith, but did not express their atheism for fear of upsetting fans. "I actually wasn’t the first guy in As I Lay Dying to stop being a Christian. In fact, I think I was the third," he said.

The two who remained kind of stopped talking about it, and then I’m pretty sure they dropped it, too. We talked about whether to keep taking money from the “Christian market”. We had this bizarrely “noble” thing, like, “Well, we’re not passing along any bad ideas. We’re just singing about real life stuff. Those kids need to hear about real life, because they live in a bubble.

He also stated that he and his bandmates were not alone in their "cowardly" posturing, claiming that they toured with 'Christian bands' who did not subscribe to the faith at all: "In 12 years of touring with As I Lay Dying, I would say maybe one in 10 Christian bands we toured with were actually Christian bands."

Lambesis, who gave an undercover detective $1,000, photographs of his wife Meggan Lambesis and the security codes for her house, pleaded guilty to soliciting murder. He told Associated Press that his actions were in part influenced by steroids and a change in spiritual perspective. "I’m not blaming religion. But this was one of the factors that sent me into this massive moral decline," he said.

As I Lay Dying have released six studio albums. Although originally stating the band were Christians, it has been noted that Lambesis showed growing scepticism in interviews regarding faith in recent years. Before he was sentenced, Lambesis announced a side project, Pyrithion. Many fans believed the lyrics featured on the project's debut EP were satanic, however he was quick to address the accusations: "I wanted it to represent a point of views that aren't necessarily my own, a way to get people thinking and to be more philosophical," Lambesis said in a YouTube video.

http://www.theguardian.com/music/2014/jun/23/as-i-lay-dying-singer-tim-lambesis-christian-rock-bands-fake-faith

2014/6/23 8:02
MaryJane

Re: "singer claims Christian rock bands fake faith"

Greetings Neil

Like you I wish I could say I am surprised by such statements but I am not. These are dark days we live in and many are deceived.

I just keep praying that before it is to late people will see their need for JESUS, repent and turn their hearts to HIM only!

God bless you dear brother
mj

2014/6/23 9:15Profile
RobertW

Independence, Missouri

Very sad, but not surprising. I recall in the 70s and 80s several ministries existed to try to warn young people of these type dangers.

2014/6/23 11:04Profile
dolfan

Tennessee, but my home's in Alabama

Re:

Never heard of him or his band. It is true of the industry as a whole, though, that lots of wickedness lurks off stage. Southern Gospel musicians are notorious for all kinds of things. In other words, they are normal, everyday garden variety hypocrites with a following. Dangerous thing to follow men and women as Christian examples if you do not know personally.

There is some CCM music I enjoy. I avoid those that I know are living double-mindedly (judgments I make when I hear their lyrics and watch them and read any testimony they have), and I pray for wise discernment about those I know nothing of but a few songs.

Mostly, though, I listen to elevator style hymns or preaching or nothing or sports talk, mostly in that order.

2014/6/23 12:48Profile
TMK

NC, USA

Re:

From Wikipedia:

"not once do the names God or Jesus appear in any As I Lay Dying song, nor do any of their songs explicitly invoke Christian doctrine or quote the Bible. Most songs tend to address broader spiritual concepts like existential angst or the struggle between reason and spirituality."

So on what basis are they to be considered a "Christian" band?

They are not Christians according to this interview. If at one time they pretended to be Christians but their music (described as metalcore/grindcore) contained no Christian lyrics why would they be a Christian band?

It would be far more upsetting if news like this came out about a band like Hillsong United who have some really strong Christian lyrics with an admitted rock sound (at least the faster songs). They have plenty of slow worshipful songs as well.

2014/6/23 14:19Profile
ginnyrose

Mississippi

I do not know anything about this band, never heard of them until I read this report on the web - on another site. But it does not surprise me.

I think one can look at their pics and know who they are promoting. Most look evil - it is written on their faces.

BTW, Neil, I enjoyed reading your testimony on another thread about the fellow who stole from you and your reaction. That blessed me. Neil, are you aware that your reaction is what some would describe as "Biblical non-resistance", where the rubber meets the road?

God bless.

2014/6/26 18:07Profile

©2002-2021 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Affiliate Disclosure | Privacy Policy