SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : No holiness no power?

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
leftbehind

No holiness no power?

Which quote describes our drive for power more than holiness?

Power is very important of course! We emphasize power with man more than God also! We also have a drive for power overall more than holiness!

(Besides the usual without holiness no man shall see the Lord; we are to be pure in heart)

I heard Leonard Ravenhill say that we emphasize charisma not character; power not purity and happiness not holiness. The emphasis is not power; it is purity. We emphasize wonders, miracles and excitement not holiness...

Something similar to this quote:
Like many Christians, I came to understand that the modern equivalent of worshiping idols and gods might be a life dedicated to the pursuit of wealth, sex, political power, or some other impulse taken to an unhealthy extreme. Unknown

2014/6/6 7:10Profile
ZekeO

Pietermaritzburg, South Africa

Re: No holiness no power?

Either one of them are idols as they make the focus of the gospel ourselves and not the Lord Jesus Christ.

2014/6/6 7:39Profile
leftbehind

Re:

True!

Power and ambition is one of the most popular drives! People love to sin unfortunately.

“People do not drift toward Holiness. Apart from grace-driven effort, people do not gravitate toward godliness, prayer, obedience to Scripture, faith, and delight in the Lord. We drift toward compromise and call it tolerance; we drift toward disobedience and call it freedom; we drift toward superstition and call it faith. We cherish the indiscipline of lost self-control and call it relaxation; we slouch toward prayerlessness and delude ourselves into thinking we have escaped legalism; we slide toward godlessness and convince ourselves we have been liberated.”

2014/6/6 8:02Profile
davidkeel

West Sussex, England

Re:

the power you are referring to for the power of commanding demons to flee and of laying hands on a person for healing.

I think that power is intermittent but dying to your sin brings a closeness with God that the baptism in the spirit can never bring. I've experienced both in my Christian walk and the relationship of being crucified with Christ and of truly putting to death ones sin and the love bestowed on a person for having lost his life through obeying the Lord. it's a lot more gratifying as it's a moment by moment experiencing of the Lord. The Lord speak to you as a lover too.

2014/6/6 11:53Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy