SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : Helping finding a bible verse.

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
havok20x

Pineville, LA

Helping finding a bible verse.

So a man and I from the church I attend were discussing persecution. I was talking about how if a someone takes my stuff, that I will just let them have it, because that is what the scriptures exhort me to do.

He said, "The bible actually says that we do not have to take on thieves and murderers..." Long story, short: He left it up to me to find the verse that supposedly says that.

I have looked everywhere and can't find it.

Does anyone know those verses that display that concept are at?

2014/5/23 15:25Profile
sermonindex

Canada

Online!
 Re: Helping finding a bible verse.

Matthew 5:39-42
New King James Version (NKJV)
39 But I tell you not to resist an evil person. But whoever slaps you on your right cheek, turn the other to him also. 40 If anyone wants to sue you and take away your tunic, let him have your cloak also. 41 And whoever compels you to go one mile, go with him two. 42 Give to him who asks you, and from him who wants to borrow from you do not turn away.

Hebrews 10:34
New King James Version (NKJV)
34 for you had compassion on me[a] in my chains, and joyfully accepted the plundering of your goods, knowing that you have a better and an enduring possession for yourselves in heaven.[b]

2014/5/23 15:33Profile
dolfan

Tennessee, but my home's in Alabama

Well, I don't know that there is a verse that says we have to take them in or not. Of course, Jesus instructed to let the man who would take your coat to have your cloak, too, if one is made to carry a burden of another for a mile to go two, turn the other cheek, etc. Paul said in 1 Corinthians 6, speaking of Christians who wrong one another, to suffer the wrong and be defrauded rather than take the issue to unbelievers to determine. Then, there is the admonition to forgive your enemy 70 x 7 times in a day. And, Paul's statement in 1 Cor. 9 that he would not insist upon his rights as a believer.

You are exhorted, in the law of love, to simply be as though you had nothing to lose. More specifically, Paul says in 1 Cor. 7 "Let those who ... buy [live] as though they had no goods and those who deal with the worlds as though they had no dealings with it."

All of which is true UNLESS God has a wonderful plan for your life and wants you to be a success in the world, etc., as so many actually believe to the point they make up bible verses that don't exist and challenge you to find it when they can't put their finger on it.

2014/5/23 15:42Profile
TMK

NC, USA

Re:

What did your friend mean by "taking on" thieves and murderers- does he mean we don't have to fight them?

2014/5/23 15:59Profile
havok20x

Pineville, LA

Re:

Thank yall for the confirmation. I was fairly certain that it didn't appear in the scriptures anywhere. But I am still learning, so I wasn't willing to say, "oh, I know for sure!"

2014/5/23 16:45Profile
bobmcd510

Re:

I'm not sure the Bible teaches we should always allow people to take advantage of us while we stay quiet the whole time. Sometimes this may be the case, but sometimes it isn't.

Matthew 5 tells us to turn to people the other cheek when someone slaps us, but then look at what Jesus does when someone LITERALLY slaps Him on the cheek:

John 18:23 “If I said something wrong,” Jesus replied, “testify as to what is wrong. But if I spoke the truth, why did you strike me?”

Jesus pointed out the fact that the person who slapped Him was wrong. But He didn't fight it. I believe we can do the same - to do what we can to watch out for ourselves, but if we have to fight, argue, and sin to obtain our rights then we have to surrender them. It's like how Jesus told Peter to put away the sword when he cut off Malcus' ear. But it's funny that Jesus was the very one who told His disciples to bring the swords (Luke 22:38). My understanding of the lesson here is that we can defend/stand up for ourselves (if we do it with the right heart), but we should never be the one attacking others for our own gain.

2014/5/23 21:06Profile

for future reference

http://www.biblegateway.com/

2014/5/24 12:00

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy