SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : Jesus Culture and other Music

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 )
PosterThread
Lysa

East TN for now!

Re: Jeremy221

Quote:
jeremy221 wrote:
On one last note, the line asking the Holy Spirit to manifest Himself and claiming that it is happening is seriously in error.... If they are full of the Holy Spirit, He should be with them all the time.

I just watched a video about how the Asbury Revival started at a CHRISTIAN COLLEGE and it was from 36 college students asking for "the blessing of God on their campus." "In October BEFORE the Spirit came in February..." is the quote from the video (32.30) and will you have a problem with that factual quote as well? The blessing of God they were praying for was the baptism of the Holy Spirit.

The Bible says, "Come, let us reason together...." and I reason that this dislike of certain one's for IHOP and Bethel's music falls along doctrinal and denominational differences and nothing more. That is the MAJORITY of reasons for these long threads on sermonindex and every other christian discussion site. I cannot change your doctrinal beliefs and neither can you change mine.

Edit: forgot the link:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7qOqitIKUNs

God bless,
Lisa

2014/5/22 7:19Profile
AbideinHim

Louisiana

Re:

These are the issues concerning the music that is coming out of Bethel church, IHOP, Passion, and many other contemporary groups of young people today:

Is the music soulish, and it is it 100% doctrinally correct? You do not have to even be very discerning to answer these questions. But I would like to pose a couple other questions to the ones that are critical of these young people that are participating in this music. Are they truly saved? Are they following Jesus? Do they believe the teachings of the bible? Are they being used by God to spread the fire to other young people? From my personal experience with many of these young people, having been in church services with them, prayed with them, and had fellowship with them, I would dare to say that most of them have a greater love passion, and committment to Jesus than most of their critics.

I would urge you to do some research on what took place in the "Jesus Movement" which occured in the late 60's and 70's in which I was a part of, and which was a true move of God, in which multitudes of young people that were in the "Woodstock Generation" gave up their drugs and immoral living and were radically saved, and many of them are preachers and ministers in churches today. The one thing that didn't change to a great degree was their music, only the words changed.

"There has been a long legacy of Christian music connected to the Jesus movement. Jesus music, also known as gospel beat music in the UK, primarily began when some hippie and street musicians of the late 1960s and early 1970s converted to Christianity. They continued to play the same style of music they had played previously but began to write lyrics with a Christian message."

I would encourage you to read the article in Wikepedia concerning the "Jesus Movement". Here is a quote from it.

"Jesus music primarily began in population centers of the United States where the Jesus movement was gaining momentum—Southern California (especially Costa Mesa and Hollywood), San Francisco, Seattle, and Chicago—around 1969–70. Large numbers of hippies and street musicians began converting to born-again Christianity. A number of these conversions, especially in southern California, was due largely to the outreach of Lonnie Frisbee and Pastor Chuck Smith of Calvary Chapel in Costa Mesa. In the aftermath of such conversions, these musicians continued playing the same styles of music that they had been playing prior to their conversion, though they now infused their lyrics with a Christian message. Most of these early bands gigged whenever asked, usually for whatever money could be collected at the passing of a hat or basket. This was known as a love offering. Few, if any, made a living from playing in the years 1970–73, nor did they expect to. Most viewed their music as a means of sharing their newfound faith and encouraging listeners to commit their lives to Jesus, no matter the sacrifice.[citation needed] Of the many bands and artists that came out of this time-period, some became leaders within the Jesus movement. Most notably among them Larry Norman, Barry McGuire, Love Song, Second Chapter of Acts, Randy Stonehill, Randy Matthews, and during the mid-1970s, Keith Green."What a Day" by Phil Keaggy.

Much of the music[3] was a blend of folk music and folk rock (Children of the Day, Paul Clark, John Fischer, Nancy Honeytree, Mark Heard, Noel Paul Stookey), soft rock (Chuck Girard, Tom Howard, Phil Keaggy, Mustard Seed Faith, Salvation Air Force, Pat Terry), R&B (Andraé Crouch (and the Disciples)), soul music/jazz fusion (Sweet Comfort Band), country rock (Bethlehem, Daniel Amos, Gentle Faith, The Talbot Brothers - John Michael and Terry Talbot, The Way), and hard rock (Agape, All Saved Freak Band, Petra, Resurrection Band, Servant).

Initially, the music tended to be relatively simple, as it drew largely on guitar-based folk and folk-rock influences. The message also seemed to be relatively simple, as the songwriters attempted to present the value of a Christ-centered spiritual experience without evoking the vocabulary or other trappings of ecclesiastical religion. Rather than quoting religious cliches or King James Bible verses, they used storytelling, allegory, imagery, and complex metaphors, often with a colloquial language that flustered conservatives.

In addition to the basic message of salvation, the lyrics often reflected the expectation of the imminent Second Coming of Christ prominent in evangelical circles at the time, reflected and heightened by the publication of The Late, Great Planet Earth. Larry Norman voiced this in his song "I Wish We'd All Been Ready," singing "There's no time to change your mind/The Son has come and you've been left behind."

Despite the message, the music was described by many as worldly at best or as "the Devil's music" in the worst case. This latter position was held by conservatives such as Bill Gothard as taught in his Basic Youth Conflicts Seminars. These were some of the main factors that caused many U.S. churches to largely reject the movement and these artists at the time. This suited many artists as they wanted to bring Jesus to non-Christians, not only to church youth. Larry Norman addressed this culture clash in his 1972 song, "Why Should The Devil Have All the Good Music?

So once again we are confronted with music that is being played and listened to mostly by the younger generation that the modern day church has not been able to reach. Many of these young people have come out of denominational Christianity, and they know who the true Christians are, and they can discern anyone that has a relgious, critical spirit, and if you come at them from this mindset, then you will loose them.

I would venture to say this, that the majority of these young people do have a love for the truth, and when they know that you have acknowledged that God is in their life, and speak the truth in love to them, they will gladly embrace what you are telling them and will reject that which is false.

So I would say this to those of you that would criticize "Jesus Culture" and IHOP and other groups of young Christians that are involved in music that you would consider soulish or even not 100% biblically correct, please don't be a wet blaket to them and put out the true fire that they have. Thank God that they are not doing drugs anymore, and are no longer living in immorality. They need the older more mature Christians to walk along side of them, encourage them, and to disciple them.

Mike

2014/5/22 8:34Profile
TMK

NC, USA

Re:

Wow Mike.

All I can say to that is amen!

2014/5/22 10:13Profile
AbideinHim

Louisiana

Re:

As I was mowing the grass this morning I started thinking about the Jesus movement and how a whole culture was affected. I was born again as a Catholic, but after I was saved I began attending an AOG church. There was quite a mix of guys with hair down to their shoulders, the girls with the long dresses, and the older people that had been Christians for many years. I have to admit that they accepted us as we were, and this is one of the resons why many of us are still around today.

When I was saved back in 1972 the Lord led me to throw all of my worldly music away. This included everything from Led Zeplin to The Beatles.

One of the first albums that I bought back then was by "Love Song" that came out of Calvary Chapel that was pastored by Chuck Smith.

I came across this video on youtube that was done at a "Love Song" reunion. These old guys sounded very much like the first "Love Song" album that they recorded back in the early 70's.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NWHf3tB2v8k

Mike

2014/5/22 13:01Profile
staff

Re:

Hi all,
Interesting debate.You know I watch "Times Square" regularly on Tv and Web and seldom am I disappointed with the sermon.
The only thing I switch off immediately is the worship.Maybe if you are there it is different but on Tv they sing one song exactly like the next.Hillsong the preaching is a turn off but they produced some brilliant music like "feet may fail".
As an example of a Church i'd like to attend and be part of Times Square ticks all the boxes though.
I wrote about this on another thread awhile back.
In my opinion the music produced for "worldly songs" is usually way better than music for "Christian songs".I know that might offend some people.Sorry in advance.
I dont fully understand why but one of the reasons must be that Christian Music is pidgeon holed into one type of melody.
Another thing for instance if I take the music of the rolling stones song "Angie" how do I tell whether it is Christian inspired or non Christian inspired?
Yours Staff

2014/5/22 19:39Profile
TMK

NC, USA

Re:

Hi staff-

I agree with you for the most part. A melody is amoral for the most part. I say for the most part that there are some melodies that can sound evil or scary. I know Bill Gothard argued about the "tribal beat" of rock music and how it was evil in and of itself- not sure I buy that but he is entitled to his opinion.

But I agree that the melody of "angie" could easily have been put to Christian lyrics. It would have been awesome but the Stones beat em to it.

Quite a long while back the worship leader at a church I used to attend put the words of Amazing Grace to the tune of "House of the Rising Sun" I thought it was brilliant but a lot of people about had a cow. The words do jive up nicely with that tune.

I have never watched any Hillsong preaching but their music is so very good and yes I think it is anointed.

2014/5/22 20:19Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy