SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : Why Toronto and Brownsville were not "True Revivals" - Richard Owen Roberts

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 Next Page )
PosterThread

Why Toronto and Brownsville were not "True Revivals" - Richard Owen Roberts

https://www.sermonindex.net/modules/myvideo/photo.php?lid=2926

Overall a very good message by one of my new favorite preachers. "Marks of True Revival"...Richard Owen Roberts lays out a clear case for why Toronto and Brownsville were not true revivals. He touches on this in the first 10 minutes I believe, but whether or not you agree with him, the entire message is very profitable!

2014/5/12 14:22
TMK

NC, USA

Re: Why Toronto and Brownsville were not "True Revivals" - Richard Owen Rob

I wonder what Steve Hill would have said about that and I wonder what Dr brown would say about it at least in regard to Brownsville.

2014/5/12 22:39Profile
sermonindex

Canada

Online!
 Re:

i was encouraged by His exhortation about cups. Oh that God would break me and make me more useful for Him. Praise God He is conforming us all into the image of His Son.

Psalm 23:5
New International Version (NIV)
5 You prepare a table before me
in the presence of my enemies.
You anoint my head with oil;
my cup overflows.

2014/5/13 1:34Profile

Re:

Agreed brother Greg, May God take this old cup, cleanse it, break it, remake it and cause it to overflow with His Spirit, this is the thrust of ROR's message. If we do not see these things happen then it is more likely than not that we have not experienced true revival.

I also was stunned to hear the Holy laughter account relayed from John Wesley's diary that both brothers, after seeking The Lord all day finally concluded the outburst from Charles was satanic in origin...and one reason that helped them to see this was that it kept them from prayer! Wow, that's gut wrenching honest and very bold, no doubt the reason why The Lord used these brothers so powerfully!!

2014/5/13 2:03

Re:

TMK, I am sure they would disagree and I am sure many others would as well. I visited both places in the 90s and I have to admit that I am now somewhat in agreement with brother Richards statements. Not that I care to make a big deal of these two "revivals" either way, but rather by examining false revivals, as he does, this is very helpful for us to understand and cry out for what true revival looks like.

2014/5/13 2:07
wijnand

Re:

Awakened,

Where do you get that information about the wesley-brothers?

Brotherly greetings,
Wijnand

2014/5/13 3:02Profile
sermonindex

Canada

Online!
 Re:

Quote:
Where do you get that information about the wesley-brothers?

"May Fri. 9. 1740--I was a little surprised at some, who were buffeted of Satan in an unusual manner, by such a spirit of laughter as they could in no wise resist, though it was pain and grief unto them. I could scarce have believed the account they gave me, had I not known the same thing ten or eleven years ago. Part of Sunday my brother (Charles) and I then used to spend in walking in the meadows and singing psalms. But one day, just as we were beginning to sing, he burst out into a loud laughter. I asked him, if he was distracted; and began to be very angry, and presently after to laugh as loud as he. Nor could we possibly refrain, though we were ready to tear ourselves in pieces, but we were forced to go home without singing another line."

Wed. 21.--In the evening such a spirit of laughter was among us, that many were much offended. But the attention of all was fixed on poor L. S., whom we all knew to be no dissembler. One so violently and variously torn of the evil one did I never see before. Sometimes she laughed till almost strangled; then broke out into cursing and blaspheming; then stamped and struggled with incredible strength, so that four or five could scarce hold her: Then cried out, "O eternity, eternity! O that I had no soul! O that I had never been born!"

At last she faintly called on Christ to help her. And the violence of her pangs ceased." Most of our brethren and sisters were now fully convinced, that those who were under this strange temptation could not help it. Only E.B. and Anne H. were of another mind: being still sure, anyone might help laughing if she would. This they declared to many on Thursday; but on Friday, 23, God suffered Satan to teach them better. Both of them were suddenly seized in the same manner as the rest, and laughed whether they would or no, almost without ceasing. Thus they continued for two days, a spectacle to all; and were then, upon prayer made for them, delivered in a moment."

Pages 271-273 Works of John Wesley Vol 1.

2014/5/13 12:08Profile
sermonindex

Canada

Online!
 Re:

Though I believe there is a spurious, there is also a great joy in the Holy Spirit that we should not reject.

I personally bear witness to the experience of John Hyde, one time after we travailed in a prayer meeting for lost souls for over an hour. At the end when we felt we prayed through there was a joy given and I found myself laughing as another brother, in a controlled sense and manner. It was a wonderful joy that the Lord heard the prayers and was pleased with us praying for those He longs to save.

Praying John Hyde: “How often has G_____, after most awful crying seemed to break through the hosts of evil and soar up into the presence of the Father! You could see the smile of God reflected in his face. Then he would laugh aloud in the midst of his prayer. It was the joy of a son reveling in the delight of his father's smile. God has been teaching John [Hyde] and me that his name is the God of Isaac—laughter… Rejoicing, laughing, the same word as Isaac. This holy laughter seemed to relieve the tension and give Heaven's own refreshment to wrestling spirits.”

Capt. E.G. Carre, ed., Praying Hyde: A Challenge to Prayer (Asheville, NC: Revival Literature, n.d.), 26.

A.W. Tozer: "Now I say that worship is subject to degrees of perfection and intensity. There have been those who worshiped God to the place where they were in ecstasies of worship. I once saw a man kneel at an altar, taking Communion. Suddenly he broke into holy laughter. This man laughed until he wrapped his arms around himself as if he was afraid he would bust just out of sheer delight in the presence of Almighty God. . . . So worship is capable of running from the very simple to the most intense and sublime.”

A.W. Tozer, Worship: The Missing Jewel (Camp Hill, PA: Christian Publications, 1992), 20-21.

2014/5/13 12:16Profile
Heydave

Hampshire, UK

Re:

Brother Mark,

Listening to this I only heard him speak about Toronto and Pensecola, but not Brownsville. I would have been interested in what he had to say about Brownsville as it is often reported as different to the other two and more geneuine. However I have always doubted that as there were some unbiblical things taking place i understand and based on the criteria ROR gives for true revival I would say that Brownsville fails the test also.

2014/5/13 15:30Profile
TMK

NC, USA

Re:

Brownsville Assembly is in Pensacola I believe. But I also have heard and read that Toronto was more egregious than Brownsville. No revival is perfect. But I know that very strong preaching took place at Brownsville because I have listened to many of the sermons. There was also deep repentance. Was there some fleshly exhibitions? Sure. But let's not throw the baby out with the bath water.

2014/5/13 16:01Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy