SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : Bondmen

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
InTheLight

Phoenix, Arizona USA

Bondmen

Romans 1:1 [i]Paul, a servant of Jesus Christ, called to be an apostle, separated unto the gospel of God,[/i]

Paul was called, just as we all are, to first be a servant of Christ. The greek word "doulos" used here is defined by Thayer;

1) a slave, bondman, man of servile condition

Many have missed what it means to be a bondman. In the Old Testament there were two classes of servant, the hired servant and the bondman. The bondman had no rights, no recourse when wronged and he received no reward for his services. The hired servant enjoyed all those rights.

The Hebrew people were forbidden to become bondmen to each other however they did take bond-servants from conquered nations.

In the New testament things seem to change. Paul refers not only to his own relationship as a bondman but in Philippians 2:7 he presents Jesus as the ultimate example of a Bondman. He explains how Jesus deliberately laid aside all his rights in heaven and stooped to become a man. He made Himself of no reputation and took the form of a Bondman.

Are we willing to accept this call to be bondmen first?

In Christ,

Ron

2003/9/30 12:53Profile
Chosen7Stone

FL, USA

Re: Bondmen

I also found the word doulos in these verses (this is by no means an exhaustive list). I am typing from the New International Version, though found the word from Strong's Bible Dictionary and the KJV Bible.

Matthew 10:24-25 - [color=FF0000]A student is not above his teacher, nor a servant above his master. Is is enough for the student to be like his teacher, and the servant like his master.[/color] (See also John 13:16)
Matthew 18:21-35 - (The parable of the unmerciful servant)
Matthew 20:26-28 - [color=FF0000]Not so with you. Instead, whoever wants to be great among you must be your servant, and whoever wants to be first must be your slave -- just as the Son of Man did not come to be served, but to serve, and to give His life as a ransom for many.[/color]
Matthew 24:45-51 - (How will the Lord find His servants when He returns? See also Luke 12:42-48, and the [url=https://www.sermonindex.net/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=478&forum=38&10]"midnight" thread[/url].)
Matthew 25:21, 23 - [color=FF0000]"His master replied, 'Well done, good and faithful servant!...'"[/color] (from the parable of the talents; see also Luke 19:17)
Mark 10:44 - [color=FF0000]...and whoever wants to be first must be slave of all.[/color]
Mark 12:1-10 and Luke 20:9-18 - (The parable of the tenants)
Luke 2:29 - "Sovereign Lord, as you have promised, you now dismiss your servant in peace...." (Simeon speaking, praising God for Jesus)
Luke 14:15-25 - (The parable of the great banquet)
John 8:34 - Jesus replied, [color=FF0000]"I tell you the truth, everyone who sins is a slave to sin."[/color]
John 15:15 - [color=FF0000]I no longer call you servants, because a servant does not know his master's business. Instead, I have called you friends, for everything that I learned from my Father I have made known to you.[/color]
Romans 1:1 - Of course. :-P (Also see Titus 1:1, James 1:1, 2 Peter 1:1, Jude 1, and Revelation 1:1)
1 Corinthians 7:21-22 - Were you a slave when you were called? Don't let it trouble you -- although if you can gain your freedom, do so. For he who was a slave when he was called by the Lord is the Lord's freedman; similarily, he who was a free man when he was called is Christ's slave.
1 Corinthians 9:19 - Though I am free and belong to no man, I make myself a slave [douloō] to everyone, to win as many as possible.
Galatians 1:10 - Am I now trying to win the approval of men, or of God? Or am I trying to please men? If I were still trying to please men, I would not be a servant of Christ.
Galatians 4:7 - So you are no longer a slave, but a son; and since you are a son, God has also made you heir. (See in context of 4:1-7)
Philippians 2:7 - ...but made Himself nothing, taking the very nature of a servant, being made in human likeness. (See previous post, by InTheLight.)
2 Timothy 2:24 - And the Lord's servant must not quarrel; instead, he must be kind to everyone, able to teach, not resentful.
Philemon 16 - (Onesimus)
Revelation 15:3 - (speaking of Moses)

2003/9/30 18:28Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy