SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : News and Current Events : Daily Bible reading and prayer is a struggle for many evangelicals

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
sermonindex

Canada

Online!
 Daily Bible reading and prayer is a struggle for many evangelicals

New research has shed light on the difficulties evangelicals have in making time for their spiritual life.

In particular, the Evangelical Alliance's study found that evangelicals struggle to find the time for both reading the Bible and praying each day.
Of the over 1,500 surveyed, nearly all (90 per cent) said they read the Bible regularly, but only 31 per cent said they set aside a substantial period of time each day to pray.

Although 87 per cent agreed that every Christian needs to spend time alone with God on a daily basis, and that without ...

read more: http://bit.ly/1hCz3wd

2014/4/14 17:17Profile
sermonindex

Canada

Online!
 Re: Daily Bible reading and prayer is a struggle for many evangelicals

Here is one option:

Chronological Bible Reading of Scriptures (pdf)
http://www.gospelfellowships.net/pdf/biblereadingofscriptures.pdf

2014/4/14 17:18Profile
havok20x

Pineville, LA

Re:

Brother,

This touches home with me. I struggle with prayer in general. I do pray, but I want it to be fervant and effectual and especially honoring to the Lord.

I feel like if I try to pray for a few hours (or sometimes even a few minutes), that I will just be repeating again and again all those things that I have already said. Do you have any resources that teach men how to pray, including scripture?

2014/4/14 17:41Profile
sermonindex

Canada

Online!
 Re:

This seems like a helpful article brother

Ten Tips to Help Your Prayer Life
http://www.str.org/articles/ten-tips-to-help-your-prayer-life#.U0xhn173Wnc

2014/4/14 18:32Profile
brothagary

Re:

brother ask for the gift of toungs and desire it ,,,when ever I struggle because of dryness of desire ,,,,I some times remember and start to pray toungs ,,and and set my mind on him ,,,and the edification allways lifts my spirit in a way that normal prayer rarely does unless im already going through a time of mild personal revivle

you may start praying in the flesh but keep going eventually you should begin to pray with your spirit in the spirit

blessings

2014/4/15 5:53Profile
brothagary

Re:

ohhh rebuke any evil spirits that may be distracting you comand the to leave in the name of Jesus ,,and pray to god to give you a broken spirit ,,, do that before you pray in toungs

2014/4/15 5:56Profile
brothagary

Re:

ohhh I forgot the most important thing do all that in faith and expect to receive ,,,that is allway hard ,,, don't come to the prayer den with doubt

blessings

2014/4/15 6:00Profile
KingJimmy

Charlotte, NC

While regularly prayer and Bible reading is very important to our relationship with God, I think we need to be careful about how much emphasis we put on the time we alot to each on a daily basis.

Let us not forget that owning a Bible and being able to read it daily is something of a luxury afforded to us in the West. And even then, with the daily challenges of work, preparing dinner, and raising a family, getting in a lot of time for either can be challenging for even the best managers of time.

That's not to say it's not possible, and most of us certainly have a lot of time that we regularly waste on mindless and shallow entertainment. But before we come down too hard on others, remember, it was many centuries before Christians even had regular access to a copy of the Scriptures, let alone having their own private copy in their home. And for thousands of years, the average person has worked much longer than a 9-5 job. Many have been forced to work from dawn to dusk, and then still have responsibilities to take care of when they get home.

Praying 2 hours a day, as some like Ravenhill have suggested we do, is something many today cannot afford to find the time to do. Of course, there are people who can. But I remember for several years of my life where I worked 60+ hours a day, and to travel between 2 jobs, and finding significant time to dedicate to both reading my Bible and pray was very difficult. Most of my "quiet time" was spent driving from one job to the next.

2014/4/15 10:57Profile
MaryJane

Greetings

This is interesting thank you for sharing. I use to get hung up on spending a certain number of hours each day in prayer and BIBLE reading. I always felt tremendous guilt if I didn't meet the quota I had set for myself. Then after much prayer GOD showed me its not about setting a certain about of time aside, its about walking with HIM every moment of the day. Its about spending all of my time as HE would have me. I learned how wonderful it can be to sing praise songs to HIM while I do laundry. I learned how comforting it can be to just stop at random times through out my day and talk to HIM. I learned how to have a thankful heart and be a cheerful servant as I walk through out the day with JESUS. For me realizing that my entire time belongs to HIM freed me from looking for time to spend with HIM. JESUS is LORD of my life HE is always with me.

For my husband, he spends time in the mornings and before going to bed at night having quiet time with the LORD. Having these times set aside for the LORD are very important to my husband. He works very long hours but he takes great pleasure in that time with JESUS. For him its a wonderful way to begin his day and end it. I have learned having set aside times daily offers my husband the same freedom that I enjoy in the LORD to walk with HIM through the day. We are different so it makes since that GOD would have us approach the time HE gives us differently.

I think its important to pray and seek GOD, asking HIM what HIS will and plan is for you and then to walk in that being led by the HOLY SPIRIT daily. When I did this my heart and attitude changed completely. I was now able to come to HIM with a genuine desire to spend time with HIM instead of because "I have to" attitude. Not sure there is a one size fits all to this, JESUS is a person and what HE wants and desires is relationship with us so I think spending time as with any relationship is vital but is also unique to those in the relationship :)

God bless
maryjane

2014/4/15 11:22Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy