SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : Entertainment vs. Recreation

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 Next Page )
PosterThread
MaryJane

Re:

by just-in on 2014/4/3 7:47:31

Quote:
by MaryJane

I agree JESUS was willing to meet people where they are but HE never left them there did HE(Praise GOD).

Just-in said: Actually, He did leave many where they chose to stay and He continued on with the will of God. It is not automatic that a man will come to Christ, just because Christ comes to them.

I wrote:You are right HE did leave many of them where they are, but HE never compromised and called what they were doing anything other then what it was, sin. That is what I meant, those who are truly HIS will have a changed life after they encounter JESUS, they will not stay in their sin as many who profess the name of JESUS and do today.

Quote:
Sadly I have had those in the world who know just enough of the Bible use these truths that JESUS ate with sinners to continue on in their own sin. Its heartbreaking to see the truth twisted in such a way, yes JESUS ate with sinner, yes HE spoke to the woman at the well but HE never lowered HIMSELF down into the sin they were in.

Just-in said: No, but He would not be afraid to lower Himself into their environment. To go where the sinner was rather than having a conference in the Temple and marketing the 3 day conference on billboards, radio and TV to make sure all the sinners came to the Temple to hear the important things He had to say. He was much more than just talk. He personified what it means to be a "Doer of the Word".

I wonder what Christendom would really be like if people truly heeded His voice as He heeded the Father's voice?

I wrote:I did agree with MrBill on this as well, JESUS went to the tax collector, HE went to the woman at the well, but HE never compromised on sin as so many do today. Agreed HE lived daily submitting HIMSELF to the FATHER and only to HIM. HE didn't care about what men thought or said, HE followed the leading of the FATHER. As for meeting in only in the temple, I think CHURCH can and should fellowship one to another anywhere. Use the moment, if your with several brothers watching a game, building a fence, walking the dog, playing golf, or spending the day hiking and GOD puts something on your heart speak it in love to those HE gives you leading to. JESUS shared as HE was lead to do, I know I need to learn to be following that example every moment of the day.

I think we have an answer to your question on what it would look like, all we have to do is read the BIBLE and look in on Peter, Paul and John's life. They lived as CHRIST called them too and so can we the only thing stopping us is ourselves. GOD has given us all that we need to take up our cross and daily follow HIM. (reminder for myself there:)

Just-in said:Don't worry about getting "off topic". Conversations are like that. They grow ever wider which is a good thing.

I wrote: Thank you for your kindness in this exchange. I do believe threads often grow and change over the course of there run but I want to be careful not to offend TMK as it is his thread and topic he started :)

God bless
mj

Edited:hopefully to be a little more clear.

2014/4/3 11:01Profile
TMK

NC, USA

Re:

Being one who is not known to always stay on topic, believe me I am not offended :)

I am enjoying the discussion.

I wanted to start this thread to address the condemnation that some believers might feel about doing certain activities because, let's face it, whenever we are doing something that could be considered leisure time or recreational we COULD be doing something else with spiritual overtones. We COULD be bible reading we COULD be witnessing on a street corner we COULD be visiting the sick etc etc etc

But just because we CAN does not necessarily mean we MUST, although it certainly might if the HS is leading us in that direction.

2014/4/3 11:51Profile

Re:

Hi TMK,

We just have to remember that condemnation has one source and conviction comes from a wholly different source.

To the Lord we stand or fall and if we were more concerned with pleasing God than men, Christendom would be a very different place.

You are right: "Just because we CAN does not necessarily mean we MUST".

Not all things are expedient or edifying.

1Cor 10:23 All things are lawful for me, but all things are not expedient: all things are lawful for me, but all things edify not.

Rom 14:16 Let not then your good be evil spoken of:

Rom 14:19 Let us therefore follow after the things which make for peace, and things wherewith one may edify another.

Rom 14:22 Hast thou faith? have it to thyself before God. Happy is he that condemneth not himself in that thing which he alloweth.

1Co 6:12 All things are lawful unto me, but all things are not expedient: all things are lawful for me, but I will not be brought under the power of any.

2014/4/3 12:09
MrBillPro

Texas

Re:

Quote:
just-in....We just have to remember that condemnation has one source and conviction comes from a wholly different source.

Amen Brother!

2014/4/3 12:17Profile
MrBillPro

Texas

Re:

Quote:
TMK...let's face it, whenever we are doing something that could be considered leisure time or recreational we COULD be doing something else with spiritual overtones.

What? this is putting God in a box. What if you run into someone that you have the opportunity to witness to, during your leisure or recreational time? Our Ministry goes with us wherever we go, if we are true followers, right?

2014/4/3 12:22Profile

Re:

Many people don't realize that much of what you do everyday is spiritual. Loving people, going to work providing for your family, and yes, even relaxing and relating with your family and friends and strangers is spiritual. Jesus relaxed with people and related to them. C'mon people! It is about relationship and loving people and meeting them where they are at (not partaking of their sin. Do I have to even explain that?).

Please read the Gospels again.

Don't compartmentalize your spirituality. Spirituality is being quite normal and taking care of your everyday business, walking in the love of God.

I sure am hoping this thread frees people from self-imposed religious condemnation or condemnation from religionists (Pharisees).

2014/4/3 13:34
MrBillPro

Texas

Re:

Therefore, there is now no condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus..Romans 8:1
This scripture tells me, that if your under 'any" condemnation, your not in Christ.

2014/4/3 14:15Profile
TMK

NC, USA

Re:

I agree with you guys.

Have you ever noticed how the best times we have are rarely planned? They just happen. Then if you at some later time try to recreate the earlier time it never works.

The same has been true at least for me in spiritual matters. Those awesome times when you really feel Gods presence or when you have that real opportunity to sow into someone's life just happen.

I think this is because like just-in says we always have The Lord with us and if we are sensitive to his leading great things are bound to happen.

2014/4/3 14:30Profile

Re:

Quote:
Many people don't realise that much of what you do everyday is spiritual. Loving people, going to work providing for your family, and yes, even relaxing and relating with your family and friends and strangers is spiritual. Jesus relaxed with people and related to them. C'mon people! It is about relationship and loving people and meeting them where they are at (not partaking of their sin. Do I have to even explain that?).

Please read the Gospels again.

Don't compartmentalize your spirituality. Spirituality is being quite normal and taking care of your everyday business, walking in the love of God.

I sure am hoping this thread frees people from self-imposed religious condemnation or condemnation from religionists (Pharisees).

I do believe that in this saying lays the very substance of what will in the end become the separation which makes for the kingdom of else outer darkness.

I have been reading some writings by Dana Roberts. He makes this same argument that everyday events and outcomes are spiritual in their nature. He takes the point so far that I believe he has started hating those who believe in separation from the world and holds such views in contempt to the point of condemning the whole man he is judging.

It is interesting how often the word Pharisee is used by those who argue that having a meal is a spiritual activity, and thereby condemn those who in essence see the meal as nothing more than that which is for the drain.

2014/4/3 14:30
Heydave

Hampshire, UK

Re:

There are good points being made about being spiritual in everyday things of life. We should not make the mistake of wrongly seperating 'spiritual' from 'secular'. [deleted] also has a point in that this can be used to condone carnality. So the seperation should be between spiritual and fleshly (carnal), not spiritual and secular.

last year my wife and I had an hour to spare one Sunday afternoon, so we decided to visit a historic garden near us and get a coffee. Well it was very busy and as soon as we got our coffee and sat down at a table in the garden an older couple came and asked to share our table. Immediately the lady started talking about a religious programme she had seen that morning. They were not Christians, but we spent the next hour sharing the gospel with them. Then we went home!
we knew this was set up of the Lord, as we did not initiate the conversation and remembered that we had prayed that morning that the Lord would lead us if He wanted us to talk to anyone that day.

There are many examples like this that many if us I'm sure can recount where we are just about our normal business or leisure where we can be of spiritual use.

2014/4/3 15:02Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy