SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Articles and Sermons : Spurgeon on the Christian and the Theatre

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 Next Page )
PosterThread
TMK

NC, USA

Re:

quote:
"TMK, I can show you clearly many posts of yours in which you have posted in support of universal reconciliation,"

Don't mistake the ability to explain a position (which I can only do semi-decently with that subject- there are others who are far better at doing so than me) with the support of a position. When it comes to the final fate of the wicked I truly do not know. I will admit that I suspect the idea of eternal torment per tradition might not be true, but it might be.

I can sort of explain the theory of evolution at least in a non-technical way but I certainly don't believe it.

I have noticed one thing on this forum in particular- people get very threatened when there is any challenge to the status quo regardless of the topic. When someone does go against the flow in some way, they get accused of things like "believing in a different God."

We shouldn't be so fast to judge hearts or motives. It is okay to disagree and sometimes very strongly but we should be able to do so without resorting to false accusations and rhetoric.

So to summarize my position, in regard to this topic regarding "theater:" I agree that we should not have an unspiritual alliance with any media. However I do not believe that necessarily means that we should toss out the TV set or never go see a movie. Others here can disagree and that is fine. I won't call them a holy roller if they won't call me an apostate.

2014/3/31 6:41Profile
Heydave

Hampshire, UK

Re:

ADisciple wrote: "In the days of the Welsh revival (1905) the drama troupes in Great Britain were warned, "Don't go to Wales; you'll go broke." No one had any interest in going to the theatre.

No one wanted to go to the soccer games, either. In fact they couldn't even get enough people together to form a football team."

This is a very good insight. It shows that when folk have the real life,there is no interest in these other things to entertain us. To tell anyone 'not to do something like watch TV or secular entertainment' won't work. It will just leave them empty if they don't have life. 'It is putting the cart before the horse'. The principle is that 'we walk in the Spirit' first and 'then we will not fulfil the desires of the flesh'.

How can such entertainment satisfy someone who has the life of God in them? It's like offering cabbage soup to someone in the middle of eating a juicy fillet steak!

2014/3/31 7:48Profile

Re:

"One of the essential rules of the Christian life is never to ask a non-Christian to conduct himself like a Christian. If grace really renews a person; if the Christian life is already evidence of the life of someone who is in Christ; if obedience to the Christian ethic is the loving response of a recipient of grace to Him who has shown His love by bestowing grace, then how can one ask a man who has not received, or who did not know that he was under grace, to act as though . . . as though his person were renewed, as though he had experienced grace bestowed upon him, as though he knew that he was the object of God's love? The obligation placed upon him is nothing but restraint. The morality to which he submits can only be based upon the fear of punishment, and God becomes then the great condemner. That is what regularly happens in so-called Christian societies." (Jacques Ellul - To Will and To Do. Pilgrim Press. 1969. pg. 104)

2014/3/31 7:57
ZekeO

Pietermaritzburg, South Africa

Re:

So surely after after so much discussion on similar topics we should rather talk about what we should turn to rather than what we should turn from?

It is my firm conviction that it is only in obsessing on the person of Jesus Christ and expounding and drilling into what he is, and who he is, that we will be able to offer any hope for society.

2014/3/31 9:13Profile
MaryJane

Re:

by ZekeO on 2014/3/31 6:13:38

So surely after after so much discussion on similar topics we should rather talk about what we should turn to rather than what we should turn from?

It is my firm conviction that it is only in obsessing on the person of Jesus Christ and expounding and drilling into what he is, and who he is, that we will be able to offer any hope for society.

Greetings

I would rather sit down with those GOD has placed around me and read from the Bible all about Noah,(Noah movie thread) then share with one another what the LORD has for us to learn from such a time.

But I am also thankful that reviews and articles have been shared so that I do not waste money on something that would do nothing to draw me closer in my walk with JESUS. Have you seen the price of a movie ticket lately? :)

As has been said much of what is put forth today is a waste of time and will do little to draw one closer to JESUS or further HIS KINGDOM. Perhaps we have to much time on our hands here in this country and that is why the need to "find something" to do with our time becomes and issue. If we were truly being servants and laying down our lives one to another I wonder if that would be different??

God bless
maryjane

2014/3/31 10:15Profile

Re:

Amen, Zeke. "In His light we see light". Psalm 36:9

2014/3/31 10:22
DEADn

Lakeland FL

Re:

Are we to take Spurgeon's quote as near absolute truth or use it just as a piece of meditation? I think the latter personally.

In the meantime since Spurgeon sees the Theater as sin what kind of fun activities is considered holy to any Christian and why? Too often religious people rail against the don'ts of things and it causes so many to run the other way. What about the do's?

John

2014/3/31 16:29Profile

Re:

Why are we all caught in the web of a "do and don't do" religion and watching each other like hawks?

Christianity is not a religion and we walk by the Spirit, not each other's approval.

2014/3/31 16:40
DEADn

Lakeland FL

Re:

Just-in

I agree with your words but articles such as the OP drive people to do's and don'ts without specific reasons.

Reasons given is sin but what is sin in it? Does the OP become obsolute as in all theater is sin? Why? This is the tone that many religious people give off and so those who are not religious don't even know what this really means and it appears to them as do's and don'ts.

2014/3/31 17:06Profile

Re:

Sin is anything in your heart that is not of Christ. We walk after the Spirit, by His Life, not by do's and don'ts.

2014/3/31 18:09

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy