SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : News and Current Events : World Vision Reverses Decision on Gay Married Employees: We Made a Mistake

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 Next Page )
PosterThread
proudpapa

World Vision Reverses Decision on Gay Married Employees: We Made a Mistake

Poster mattf12486 pasted a link On the other thread : https://www.sermonindex.net/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=51915&forum=48 after reading it, I thought it might be worthy of a new thread :

Dear Friends,

Today, the World Vision U.S. board publicly reversed its recent decision to change our national employment conduct policy. The board acknowledged they made a mistake and chose to revert to our longstanding conduct policy requiring sexual abstinence for all single employees and faithfulness within the Biblical covenant of marriage between a man and a woman.

We are writing to you our trusted partners and Christian leaders who have come to us in the spirit of Matthew 18 to express your concern in love and conviction. You share our desire to come together in the Body of Christ around our mission to serve the poorest of the poor. We have listened to you and want to say thank you and to humbly ask for your forgiveness.

In our board's effort to unite around the church's shared mission to serve the poor in the name of Christ, we failed to be consistent with World Vision U.S.'s commitment to the traditional understanding of Biblical marriage and our own Statement of Faith, which says, " We believe the Bible to be the inspired, the only infallible, authoritative Word of God. " And we also failed to seek enough counsel from our own Christian partners. As a result, we made a change to our conduct policy that was not consistent with our Statement of Faith and our commitment to the sanctity of marriage.

We are brokenhearted over the pain and confusion we have caused many of our friends, who saw this decision as a reversal of our strong commitment to Biblical authority. We ask that you understand that this was never the board's intent. We are asking for your continued support. We commit to you that we will continue to listen to the wise counsel of Christian brothers and sisters, and we will reach out to key partners in the weeks ahead.

While World Vision U.S. stands firmly on the biblical view of marriage, we strongly affirm that all people, regardless of their sexual orientation, are created by God and are to be loved and treated with dignity and respect.

Please know that World Vision continues to serve all people in our ministry around the world. We pray that you will continue to join with us in our mission to be " an international partnership of Christians whose mission is to follow our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ in working with the poor and oppressed to promote human transformation, seek justice, and bear witness to the good news of the Kingdom of God ."

Sincerely in Christ,
Richard Stearns, President

http://www.christianpost.com/news/world-vision-reverses-decision-on-gay-married-employees-we-made-a-mistake-116871/

2014/3/26 20:26Profile

Re: World Vision Reverses Decision on Gay Married Employees: We Made a Mistake

A leaderless blind organization just blowing in the wind, tossed by every wave. Leadership is not licking your finger and sticking it in the air to see what way the wind is blowing. The damage is already done and what was hidden has been exposed............bro Frank

2014/3/26 22:48
Jeremy221

This doesn't sound like repentance to me. It sounds like bowing for the esteem of man. The question of whether they have employed or let slip in homosexuals and whether they are working to remove them is not addressed. One doesn't make a decision to admit homosexual 'unions' without considerable prior compromise.

Last night I listened to the Art Katz message "The Real or the 'Plastic'" which deals with this scenario. It deals with the excommunication, or removing from fellowship, of an unrepentant brother. This man who was excommunicated then comes to the conference where Art is speaking just a couple days later. He claims a dream and change of heart, very dubious indeed.

In another message, "Human, all too Human," Art speaks of a well known prophetic figure who has recently fallen. Celebrated as The Oracle, he freely took all the praise and hyperbolic attention. He met the needs of the people for personal prophecy. They didn't have to know the Holy Spirit, he had access for you. This man literally put the spotlight on himself. And the people LOVED it.

He was an alcoholic and a homosexual.

Who here has discernment and knows the voice of the Spirit? When you see promotions about a group, can you recognize if it is satisfying your fleshly lusts? God says flee from them. Have nothing to do with them. Cast them out from among you. He also says that if you want to do His will, you will recognize His voice and follow Him. You should know without knowing why. The Holy Spirit will teach you all things and show you things to come, if you are born of Him.

EDIT: corrected Katz message references.

2014/3/26 23:00Profile
RobertW

St. Joseph, Missouri

Re:

Clearly the original announcement caused such an uproar that they knew fund raising and support would take a dramatic hit. It is hard to fathom, even from a secular point of view, how a company could be so out of touch with its base so as to make a decision that could put the whole operation in jeopardy. As bro Frank mentioned, there is a carrying along of every doctrine and the sleight of men going on.

In order to have confidence in ministries we support, we need to know that that ministry shares Biblical views and standards sincerely and without coercion. If Christians have to threaten to boycott and withhold funding to get an organization to do what's right- it is clearly time to move on and prayerfully find other more worthy recipients of the resources God has made us steward of. Moreover, once it is evident that they wanted to unilaterally spread the homosexual agenda into the churches, we risk making ourselves partakers of future evils that they adopt by continuing to support them.

2014/3/27 6:25Profile
KingJimmy

Charlotte, NC

Re:

I think the head of this organization should resign. I agree with him being clearly "out of touch with his base." He's clearly misleading his organization.

With that said, I think it is also rather shameful how much of a knee-jerk reaction many Christian leaders engaged in with immediately threatening to literally take food out of the mouths of the starving, and calling down fire and brimstone on this man and organization, all over this issue.

Justice and mercy are the weightier matters of the law my brothers.

2014/3/27 7:04Profile
TMK

NC, USA

Re:

I tend to agree with KJ-

I mean it seems that they can't win for losing. Would we rather they NOT have reversed their decision? Didn't other christian leaders (like the Mike Brown article posted on SI) WANT them to reverse their decision?

Or now that they are willing to reverse course should our attitude be "it's too late baby, now it's too late?"

Now obviously we would have preferred that they not have made the mistake in the first place. I am sure the decision was a symptom of some sickness going on in the board. But I think we have to support that they have reversed course.

Now, one might argue that they just "caved under pressure." But isn't that the whole purpose of Jesus's instructions in Mt. 18? The purpose it point out a sin that perhaps the sinning brother is blind to and then encourage (pressure) him to repent. It says that if it works you have "gained a brother."

2014/3/27 7:18Profile
RobertW

St. Joseph, Missouri

Re:

"Now, one might argue that they just "caved under pressure." But isn't that the whole purpose of Jesus's instructions in Mt. 18? "

I would say, no. Godly sorrow is God-wards and not "man-wards." Worldly sorrow concerns itself for the consequences of ones actions. Godly sorrow works life and can be trusted. The other works death and should be distrusted. This is the message of Psalm 51.

There is something very rotten at the core when an organization is prepared to unilaterally and without coercion adopt the homosexual agenda. It tells me that this is what they truly believe, no matter how they suddenly reversed course. That is what concerns me.

It is sort of like sin. If a person stumbles into sin or is overtaken by it, we can forgive and restore joyfully. But if a person's sin is the result of a point of view that is contrary to the faith once delivered to the saints, even if they reverse it under coercion, I am inclined to assume the still hold the belief. We ought not be interested in homosexuals who come out of the closet going back into the closet. We ought rather to press on until their is a change of mind and a change of direction. When someone shows us who they really are I think we ought incline ourselves to believe them. Just my thoughts.

2014/3/27 8:12Profile
MrBillPro

Texas

Re:

Quote:
RobertW....Clearly the original announcement caused such an uproar that they knew fund raising and support would take a dramatic hit.

Getting into the pocket book has always been since the beginning of mankind, the best method to get folks attention, and it's still going strong in the 21st century.

2014/3/27 9:25Profile

Re:

I see them as a worldly organization, not wanting to lose donations from Christians. They had to quickly back-peddle because they judged the current sentiment of liberal Christianity incorrectly. They will try it again in another 5 years and probably be applauded. Either that, or the laws in the future will require any government entity (501_3c orgs) to not discriminate in their hiring or else lose their tax exemption status. With the world system, it always comes down to money, greed, power and status.

2014/3/27 9:52
Lordoitagain

Monroe, LA - USA

Part of their statement kind-of bothered me:

"In our board's effort to unite around the church's shared mission to serve the poor in the name of Christ, we failed to be consistent with World Vision U.S.'s commitment to the traditional understanding of Biblical marriage and our own Statement of Faith, which says, " We believe the Bible to be the inspired, the only infallible, authoritative Word of God. " And we also failed to seek enough counsel from our own Christian partners. As a result, we made a change to our conduct policy that was not consistent with our Statement of Faith and our commitment to the sanctity of marriage."

Why did they choose the words "traditional understanding of Biblical marriage"? Why didn't they use more solid terminology like: "the clear Biblical teaching of marriage". It is as if there is a "traditional understanding" and another understanding ... leaving open the idea that another viable understanding is available ...

I am not at all for the idea of taking food from hungry children. If I were already supporting a child with them I would continue, but I would never take on another new child with their organization when there are other much more solidly Biblical based organizations like www.gfa.org.

Forgiveness and trust are two different things. They have my forgiveness, but they have lost my trust.

2014/3/27 10:12Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy