SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : News and Current Events : Brother in need.

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
jouko

Ex-England colony of Australia

Brother in need.

Persecution in Jordan

VOM - USA NEWS and PRAYER UPDATE - April 5, 2005 - Last September, security police connected to the country's intelligence agency showed up unannounced at the home of Samer and Abeer. They arrested Samer, held him overnight, and turned him over to the Islamic courts. At his October hearing, Samer was asked to "alter his confession" or recant his Christian faith. Since then a court decision decreed that his identification papers must be changed from "Muslim" to "no religion," that he had forfeited any inheritance, his marriage to Abeer is now illegal, and therefore, he is not entitled to the custody of his son. He is now an apostate and cannot hold a job, cannot own property, and other Muslims can legally attack or even kill him. Two brothers have already threatened his life. Samer has made arrangements for Abeer and their 18-month-old son to leave the country. A Jordanian pastor has hired a lawyer to bring Samer's case before Jordan's Supreme Court, and international human rights advocates have sent 4,000 messages to King Abdullah.
Pray King Abdullah will have mercy on Samer. Pray Samer will remain faithful to Christ under all circumstances. Pray his witness of the Good News will bring more Muslims to faith in our Savior.
In addition to your prayers, VOM would like to encourage you to join us in taking a stand with Samer against his November 23, 2004 apostasy conviction. Please contact the Embassy of Jordan:
Embassy of the Hashemite Kingdom of Jordan
Ambassador Karim Kawar
3504 International Drive, N.W.
Washington, D.C. 20008
Phone: (202) 966 - 2664
Fax: (202) 966 - 3110
E-mail: [email protected]
http://www.persecution.com/

2005/4/9 1:37Profile
crsschk

Santa Clara, CA

Re: Brother in need.

Thanks Jouko,
That these draw such little attention.

[url=http://www.persecution.com/members/prayerroom/index.cfm]VOM Prayer Room[/url]

[i]Heb 13:3 Remember them that are in bonds, as bound with them; and them which suffer adversity, as being yourselves also in the body.[/i]

[b]Heb 13:3 - Remember them that are in bonds,....[/b] Not for criminal actions, or for debt, though such should be remembered, and pity showed them, especially the latter; but such as are in bonds for the sake of Christ, and the Gospel. This has been often the lot of God's people, who should be remembered, by praying for them, sending comfortable letters to them, personally visiting them, and relieving them under their distresses:

[b]as bound with them;[/b] as if it were so, as if in the same condition, and circumstances; by sympathizing with them; by considering themselves liable to the same bonds; by dealing with them as it would be desirable to be dealt with in the same case: and

[b]them which suffer adversity;[/b] outward afflictions of body, distress for want of temporal mercies, food and raiment, and persecution by enemies; or spiritual adversity, as the prevailings of corruptions, and particularly unbelief, the hidings of God's face, and the temptations of Satan.

[b]As being yourselves also in the body;[/b] as if in their bodies, enduring the same things; or as being afflicted in the body with diseases, necessities, and persecutions; or as being in the body, the church, of which these afflicted ones are a part, and therefore should have a fellow feeling with them; or rather as being in this world, in the flesh, or in a body and state subject to the like adversities, temporal and spiritual.

John Gill

2005/4/9 8:25Profile
crsschk

Santa Clara, CA

Our own

Gal 6:14 But God forbid that I should glory, save in the cross of our Lord Jesus Christ, by whom the world is crucified unto me, and I unto the world.
Gal 6:15 For in Christ Jesus neither circumcision availeth any thing, nor uncircumcision, but a new creature.
Gal 6:16 And as many as walk according to this rule, peace be on them, and mercy, and upon the Israel of God.

Peace be on them

2005/4/9 8:31Profile
Compton

Re: Our own

I wanted to submit to this community an idea that helped me move from mere compassion to action regarding our suffering brothers and sisters. For the longest time I would hear stories from organizations like VOM and be rallied to compassionate prayer...for a short time. This can be a frustrating cycle. Through prayer and just common sense I came to three personal conclusions.

1) If I take on the whole persecuted church as a burden I become overwhelmed and defeated.

Not too long ago I came to the conclusion that the problem isn't that I didn't care, but that yesterdays' care was being distracted by todays' care. That is to say, every heartfelt burden I had for those who were suffering was being buried under more news of suffering in another part of the world. Indeed, my wife complained that my mind and heart was "rarely home", but instead always preoccupied with some serious issue at hand. Afterall, because of communication technologies, we have every major problem of the world, near and far, funneled into our homes daily. The urgent reports and images of suffering blend into a single numbing drone. If you engage the larger problem, it can break your emotional, if not, spiritual back.

2) Prayfully seek individual people or situations to commit myself to and leave the rest with God.

For me the solution is more simple than I first imagined. I have discovered that I can care for individuals with names much more effectively then I can care for the faceless concept of "the persecuted church." For instance, you might take on brother Samer and dedicate your energies to this precious brother. Write the letters to his government and to him if possible. Send what resources you can that will help meet spiritual and material needs. And above all, endeavor to share in the sufferings through prayer to the Lord. Stay the course of years with these individual people.

3) Share with other able bodied believers my efforts and methods for the sake of these suffering individuals.

One of the cultural traits of Christians is that we shy away from discussing our charity, less we taint the whole work with pride and boasting. However, I think we must overcome this noblility if we have constructive methods that might help the body. Wouldn't we gladly trade our heavenly blessing or reward for humility for the opportunity to walk beside just one suffering brother who deserves it more!? (What are you going to do with a bunch of crowns anyways...lay them at the feet of Jesus!)

Imagine if every free and healthy believer in the world "adopted" into their family just one suffering saint in prison or in a city where persecution exists. Furthermore, as a parent, I am always glad when I find ways to develop care for others in my children. Writing letters is not just for grown-ups...it is a blessing to recieve support from a child too. (For personal correspondance, I believe in the warmth of handwritten letters...something that conveys the priority of love over the priority of time.) If translation is needed you can always try babblefish or, for better results, try retaining a university student that speaks the target language through admissions or the language offices.

This individualized conmmitment approach to global suffering is possible with organizations like Voice of the Martyrs. Not only do these organizations publish names and addresses of imprisoned or suffering saints, they offer many flexible ways to send resources to specific areas of the world as well. Also, your own church may have local members with direct contact to some of these persecuted communities.

At first glance a suggestion to narrow your focus might seem smallminded or uncaring, but I believe it is most caring and practical. I'm sure others here at SI have come to this conclusion much sooner then I. It would be great to hear some encouraging stories in this area.

Blessings,

MC

2005/4/9 13:49Profile

while looking that up

...I found this precious site:

http://www.prisoneralert.com/

2005/4/9 17:43

furthermore

http://www.persecution.com/client/index.cfm

its free, and they have a prayer room there.

2005/4/9 17:46
philologos

Reading, UK

Re:

Quote:
At first glance a suggestion to narrow your focus might seem smallminded or uncaring, but I believe it is most caring and practical. I'm sure others here at SI have come to this conclusion much sooner then I. It would be great to hear some encouraging stories in this area.

The Message has an interesting line on a verse in Proverbs; Pro 17:24 MSG The perceptive find wisdom in their own front yard; fools look for it everywhere but right here. or as the KJV has it 'the eyes of a fool are in the ends of the earth'.

There is another intersting little couplet in 1Ki 20:39-40 KJV And as the king passed by, he cried unto the king: and he said, Thy servant went out into the midst of the battle; and, behold, a man turned aside, and brought a man unto me, and said, Keep this man: if by any means he be missing, then shall thy life be for his life, or else thou shalt pay a talent of silver. (40) And as thy servant was busy here and there, he was gone. And the king of Israel said unto him, So shall thy judgment be; thyself hast decided it. I sometimes fear that may become the ultimate epitaph for evangelical movement 'thy servant was busy here and there'.

In our church times of waiting on God we sometimes have a space where many will share the needs that they have known of in various places. But the elders will often say "we don't have to pray for all these tonight lets see how the Lord leads us." We should never 'hide ourselves' from our own flesh (Isaiah 58:7) but sometimes we have to focus intensely on one specific responsibility that God has placed on our shoulders...Psa 27:4 KJV [u]One thing[/u] have I desired of the LORD, that will I seek after; that I may dwell in the house of the LORD all the days of my life, to behold the beauty of the LORD, and to enquire in his temple.
In case you should misunderstand these mystical utterances... I am agreeing with you. And these are verses which the Spirit has applied to my own heart at different times.

2005/4/10 13:47Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy