SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : News and Current Events : a generation unwilling to submit

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
PosterThread
rainydaygirl

a generation unwilling to submit

there was a recent news article about a young woman suing her parents for living expenses, tuition and college fees. This young person turned eighteen and moved out of the family home because the parents say she did not like the rules. she did not want to have to obey their rules, of helping with chores,and keeping a curfew. as i read about this story it reminded me of several other news stories with similar theme of young people who seem to think that they should be able to live however they like and not be accountable to anyone. this generation does seem to have an entitlement attitude but why is that? what has changed so drastically over the past years in this country? could it be that as parents we have given in to much where our children are concerned? could it be that many have fallen away and have ignored the Bible's teachings on how to raise a child? young people are now so self consumed that a number of them expect to be given everything they want when they want it no matter what? i was thinking could it be that what we are seeing is more of the worldly influence on the church in America as a whole? there are even parents whom i know who speak about there children reaching their teenage years with an expectation of them rebelling almost as if it is some kind of right of passage? why if i expect my twelve year old to behave, be respectful, and submit to my authority would i just forget all that because my son/daughter is not thirteen?

rdg

2014/3/9 10:48Profile
SolaVeritas

SK Canada

Re: a generation unwilling to submit

Rainydaygirl,

I think you are right on with what you are saying, all of it plays a part in it, but there's another issue, let me share this with you:

I work as a family support worker, going into people's homes to help them with parenting and life skills. Recently a mother of five looked at me in exasperation, saying, "I've tried everything you taught me and things are a little better, but... these children are still fighting and being mean to each other, no matter what I do!" Now this is a women that is actually a good mother and a Christian, too, and I stood there thinking, she's so right! Here we are, having replaced biblical ways of raising our children with methods developed by psychologists and while they improve some behavioural issues, these methods are powerless to change the nature of the child.

The methods we have been taught to raise our children since the 1960's are based on humanism, on the premise that a person is basically good by nature and we just have to adjust the environment to bring out that good in a child. Well now, after several generations, we can observe the full blown results of this lie. What I should have taught that mother of five I can not propose to her without losing my job and possibly being sued.

Edited to end it on a more constructive note: Please Christian parents, teach your children respect and discipline them for defiance, as well as keeping in mind that overindulging them is actually harmful to them. It's a tough job, approach it with much prayer.

2014/3/9 17:41Profile
Sree

Re:

Matthew 8:5- And when Jesus entered Capernaum, a centurion came to Him, imploring Him, and saying, “Lord, my servant is lying paralyzed at home, fearfully tormented.” Jesus said to him, "I will come and heal him.” But the centurion said, “Lord, I am not worthy for You to come under my roof, but just say the word, and my servant will be healed. For I also am a man under authority, with soldiers under me; and I say to this one, ‘Go!’ and he goes, and to another, ‘Come!’ and he comes, and to my slave, ‘Do this!’ and he does it.”

I want to underline the word of Centurion here, he said that he is a man under authority and his soldiers under him obey him. So his soldiers see how he submits to his authority. Instead of thinking that their boss is a powerless man who obeys his superior, they develop a respect for him. They now fear him like how he obeys and fears his authority. This is a simple principle that the centurion applied to Jesus as well. He knew how Jesus did the will of his father, hence he knew that the sickness will submit to Jesus because he submitted to his father. So he had full faith that if Jesus says a word the sickness will depart from his slave.

Same way if a mother wants her children to submit to her and her husband, she should first be under authority of her husband. In complete submission like how Sara lived. But today the concept of wife submitting to her husband is considered as slavery even in Christendom. The word submission is considered evil. In most of the houses we see mothers having their own finances and totally independent of their husband regarding their expenses, they just spend as they wish, without any submission to husband. Hence their Children grow rebellious.

I have observed that in families where the Children grow really God fearing are not just those that disciple their Children but also set a Godly home by having a wonderful husband wife fellowship in which the wife submits to her husband and husband loves his wife like Christ loves the Church. These Children have so much respect for their parents because they see the life in them.

2014/3/10 6:37Profile
rainydaygirl

Re:

Sree shared:Same way if a mother wants her children to submit to her and her husband, she should first be under authority of her husband. In complete submission like how Sara lived. But today the concept of wife submitting to her husband is considered as slavery even in Christendom. The word submission is considered evil. In most of the houses we see mothers having their own finances and totally independent of their husband regarding their expenses, they just spend as they wish, without any submission to husband. Hence their Children grow rebellious.---

i think this is a valid point. i think it is vitally important for children to see husbands loving and respecting their wives and wives doing the same. when the husband and wife come together and submit their lives to Christ and that is the standard in the home,children see that and it does make a difference. far to often though mom and dad are not living what they teach and children copy what they see more then what they hear some times. it is true that the word submission has almost become a "dirty word" in some christian circles but that does not have to be the case. when a husband loves his wife he treats her with respect as a valuable asset to himself and when a wife loves her husband she wants to show him respect and care by being helpful not a hindrance. Parents who are unity in Christ before their children go a long way in demonstrating the love of Jesus to them.

i think though both parents have been guilty of "giving in" and over indulging children and that has helped to foster this "self" and "me" attitude. there are times when the Lord uses life's hurts, difficulties, and disappointments in order to teach us and grow us into His likeness. if we are always pampering our children, if we spare the rod of correction, then we have no one but ourselves to blame for the outcome. i also believe the effects of humanism and other pop psychology has done much damage, as was mentioned by SolaVeritas. i have seen the effects in my own life these psychology methods of raising children is counter to what the Bible teaches and it has been my experiences fosters the self centered attitudes you see today.

rdg

2014/3/10 10:46Profile
sermonindex

Canada

Online!
 Re:

Quote:
there was a recent news article about a young woman suing her parents for living expenses, tuition and college fees. This young person turned eighteen and moved out of the family home because the parents say she did not like the rules. she did not want to have to obey their rules, of helping with chores,and keeping a curfew. as i read about this story it reminded me of several other news stories with similar theme of young people who seem to think that they should be able to live however they like and not be accountable to anyone. this generation does seem to have an entitlement attitude but why is that? what has changed so drastically over the past years in this country? could it be that as parents we have given in to much where our children are concerned? could it be that many have fallen away and have ignored the Bible's teachings on how to raise a child?

Sister, excellent questions and thoughts here. I recently have heard of 2 teen christian young people committing suicide. This is all part of the generation and spirit of the age teaching then that they can do what they want to do and in the end take their life if they want to. Lack of submission to authority is not control for the individual but it ends up in the fruits of death. What a tragic thing when all boundaries are taken out of our life's especially for young people.

Even the world system teachings us the need of submitting to authority.

2014/3/10 15:28Profile
a-servant

Re:

"Same way if a mother wants her children to submit to her and her husband, she should first be under authority of her husband. In complete submission like how Sara lived. But today the concept of wife submitting to her husband is considered as slavery even in Christendom. The word submission is considered evil. In most of the houses we see mothers having their own finances and totally independent of their husband regarding their expenses, they just spend as they wish, without any submission to their husbands. Hence their Children grow rebellious."

Excellent. I come out of a family with a 'soft' dad and a 'powerful' mom. Of course i grew rebellious as a teenager what didn't end until after reading a Bible the first time and the following supernatural heart transplant through repentance and faith.

At the moment the family as an institution is under very strong attack. Not only among friends, also my own. And the exact cause is the disrespect of the women for their husbands, the non-acceptance of the husbands' authority. And the totally missing understanding of why this always will destroy a family. Either the husband runs away, or the wife quits. Satan wins in about 50% of attempts to push his tour de force on us.

When the wife talks back to the husband in his own house, she is not under any other authority than the enemies. Its like i would be talking back to Jesus and am lecturing him, that's rebellion that is like witchcraft.

Yesterday I had an argument with my wife and she slammed the door into my face. In the evening I came home and they had a house meeting where some religious teacher was shouting out the TV. I had to switch it off, and said this party is over. Go home now, and I will call you, whenever my wife is showing some respect to me as the leader of this house. Look we have been tolerating this independant feminism far too long. All love of the husband is not enough as long as the woman does not repect their husband and starts abusive talkbacks with their little reasonings that all shout 'me me me'. The time to accept that is over. Submit, or go elsewhere. Thank you ladies for listening, now you know why the divorce rate is so high right now.

2014/3/12 3:15Profile

Re:

Never blame your lack of love on her lack of respect. Your lack of love is disobedience to Eph 5:33a.

Never blame your lack of respect on his lack of love. Your lack of respect is disobedience to Eph 5:33b.

Ultimately, you show your love for Christ when you unconditionally love your wife and if you are loving your wife unconditionally then you are not loving Christ.

Ultimately, you show our reverence for Christ when you unconditionally respect your husband. If you are not respecting your husband unconditionally, you are not reverencing Christ.

http://www.excellforlife.com/wp-content/uploads/resources/love_and_respect.pdf

2014/3/12 8:02
rainydaygirl

Re:

i think it "both parents" who are responsible for the upbringing of the child. i have seen just as many homes with over authoritarian homes where the wives are treated as if they are children by their husbands, children having no respect for their moms because dad has none. wives are to submit to their husbands that is true but the second part of that is husbands love your wives. sadly you have those out there that want to become task masters to their own wives acting as king ruler of the house, instead of loving their wives as Jesus loved the Church and gave Himself up for her.(Ephesians 5:25)
Over indulgence or a complete lack of involvement is at the root of this issue with today's children. Children see their parents behaving one way(usually rebellious) and then they follow and mimic that behavior. if we want to teach our children to follow Jesus we need to be doing that in our own lives. the Bible does give us a way on how to raise a child and both parents must be committed first to Christ, second to each other, and third to loving the child enough to say no and to give correction as well as praise.
the enemy knows how to work both men and woman today to cause destruction in the lives of the family and that is why we are seeing what we are today.
rdg

2014/3/12 8:08Profile

Re:

Yes, sadly that attitude permeates the church and we think we can treat each other the way we treat our wives or husbands.

But Christ has a more perfect way...the cross, not just for the wife, and not just for the husband. We both are heirs of Christ, together.

2014/3/12 8:19
a-servant

Re:

Sree, there was a time i didn't understand what Matthew 8:5 actually means. I'm glad that you understand it perfectly, it reflects the order of God, and is a sign of great faith to practise it.

THEN we can talk about love, without that it's totally a fictious, or bogus love. Empty words, not based on Abrahamic faith. Galatians 5:6 But faith which worketh by love. (that is true faith)

Met a friend last night, that is not married yet, and he said, women are still all concerned about "security". THEN they accept, submit and follow. If a man ignores that 'genetic inbuilt program' just for a month because he's too busy with other things, women try to take over the house. Something that is so predictable and never changes, however life sometimes creates these situations, and the resulting conversation is usually based on logic vs emotions. And where is all that "spiritual understanding" you claimed to have dear woman? Suddenly you reduce yourself to pure emotionalism.

Instead what women really should be doing is to support their man, ANYWAY and in full faith and nothing but unwaivering faith. Woman are created for that exact purpose, and anyone that is outside of that will of God, is walking outside the economy of God.

That has nothing to do with being authoarian, what is not the same at all. That would be a concept based on a position that does not accept the natural authority as created by God. Thats humanism. Every woman does not live for herself, that is just moderism and far away from spiritual and practical reality as descibed by scripture. Now we choose to talk about 'perfect love' instead and abolutley have no idea what that means. Ok, explain it to those what it means in scriptural terms, and they will turn around and leave the room.

2 John 1:6  And this is love, that we walk after his commandments. This is the commandment, That, as ye have heard from the beginning, ye should walk in it.

Ephesians 3:17  That Christ may dwell in your hearts by faith; that ye, being rooted and grounded in love, May be able to comprehend with all saints what is the breadth, and length, and depth, and height; And to know the love of Christ, which passeth knowledge, that ye might be filled with all the fulness of God. Now unto him that is able to do exceeding abundantly above all that we ask or think, according to the power that worketh in us, Unto him be glory in the church by Christ Jesus throughout all ages, world without end. Amen.

2014/3/12 23:09Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy