SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : News and Current Events : Unreal sales for Driscoll’s Real Marriage

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
PosterThread
sermonindex

Canada

Online!
 Unreal sales for Driscoll’s Real Marriage

Seattle’s Mars Hill Church paid a California-based marketing company at least $210,000 in 2011 and 2012 to ensure that Real Marriage, a book written by Mark Driscoll, the church’s founding pastor, and his wife Grace, made the New York Times best-seller list.

According to a document obtained by WORLD, Result Source Inc. (RSI) contracted with Mars Hill “to conduct a bestseller campaign for your book, Real Marriage on the week of January 2, 2012. The bestseller campaign is intended to place Real Marriage on The New York Times bestseller list for the Advice How-To list.”
The marketing company also promised to help place Real Marriage on the Wall Street Journal Business, USA Today Money, BN.com (Barnes & Noble), and Amazon.com best-seller lists. ...

read more: http://www.worldmag.com/2014/03/unreal_sales_for_driscoll_s_real_marriage

2014/3/6 13:18Profile
Lysa

East TN for now!

Re: Unreal sales for Driscoll’s Real Marriage

Pitiful, just pitiful.

2014/3/6 16:36Profile
richrock

UK

Re:

The issue here that makes this especially sad is that the secular news sources are carrying it (LA TImes for one), and along with this the potential for massive damage to Christianity. That the world, or at least some people may be justified in their opinions that Christianity simply can't be trusted. Others may yet be turned away from the faith because of events like this.

2014/3/6 17:03Profile
sermonindex

Canada

Online!
 Re:

You cannot imagine Tozer, Ravenhill or others doing this. There are a few practical steps to help promote a book or simply make it known but what we read about goes beyond it all.

2014/3/6 17:11Profile
Oracio

Whittier CA USA

Re:

Sadly, I can't say I'm too surprised. This is to be expected from emergent preachers like Driscoll.

2014/3/6 18:52Profile

Re:

It hasn't caused me any damage. It may indeed cause "massive damage" to Christendom, but it won't hurt the eternal church.

"...and upon this rock I will build my church; and the gates of hell shall not prevail against it."

2014/3/6 19:23
tbsounde2

Los Angeles, CA

Man...talk about pragmatic christianity and the end justifying the means...and it was supposedly done to help advance the gospel...I hope Mark will come to his senses and realize the mistake he made and come back to the old quiet path of simply being faithful to the Lord in the "little" things and leaving up the results to Him...

2014/3/6 21:46Profile
rookie

Savannah TN

Is this not an example of conspiracy within the church?

2014/3/7 6:39Profile
amranger

Montana

I would like to know why this post is allowed and the Bill Gothard thread was shut down? On that thread people were reminded not to "slander" and to pray for the brother. On this thread people are just shaking their head and saying it was to be expected, it's "pitiful" etc. Where is the encouragement to not slander and pray for Driscoll?

It seems to me that there is a double standard here? There is other preachers that are mocked and ridiculed frequently here (or their teachings are alluded to) on SI and nothing is said. But when someone brings up a featured speaker on SI they're usually shut down.

-Andrew

2014/3/7 12:43Profile

Re:

Quote:
I would like to know why this post is allowed and the Bill Gothard thread was shut down? On that thread people were reminded not to "slander" and to pray for the brother. On this thread people are just shaking their head and saying it was to be expected, it's "pitiful" etc. Where is the encouragement to not slander and pray for Driscoll?

It seems to me that there is a double standard here? There is other preachers that are mocked and ridiculed frequently here (or their teachings are alluded to) on SI and nothing is said. But when someone brings up a featured speaker on SI they're usually shut down. arranger

I suppose one singular difference may be because Mr Driscoll's own office have acknowledged their own actions fully. You cannot be slandered if you have acknowledged something oneself.

Quote:
church spokesman Justin Dean responded via email, saying, “Mars Hill has made marketing investments for book releases and sermon series, along with album releases, events, and church plants, much like many other churches, authors, and publishers who want to reach a large audience. We will explore any opportunity that helps us to get that message out, while striving to remain above reproach in the process. Whether we’re talking about technology, music, marketing, or whatever, we want to tell lots of people about Jesus by every means available. That’s what we’re all about and have been since 1996.”

2014/3/7 14:04

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy