SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
Discussion Forum : News and Current Events : Bill Gothard Placed on Administrative Leave

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 Next Page )
PosterThread
roadsign
Member



Joined: 2005/5/2
Posts: 3777


 Re:

Just a quick comment:.
I attended Gothard seminars years ago, and truthfully, I cannot be thankful enough for how God used his ministry to break bondages in my own life and open my eyes to aspects of relationship that no one ever talked about before. Nothing that is currently being claimed about Gothard need nullify my gratitude to God. Yet my gratitude need not give me cause to deny the possibility of fallibility - even serious offense.

I continue to praise God for how he has used others in my life, including Gothard – and a host of others – some who have fallen, others who have not. King David is a one example.

Forgiveness is not about denying wrong, but about acknowledging it, and surrendering our right to retaliation. That includes tarring and feathering, or delighting in seeing this happen. May those involved handle this crisis with a spirit of humility and brokenness and serious soberness. It is the path to the cross.


It is always upsetting to see a hero fall, but that is a painful reality that we must learn to live with. Maturity frees us from our tendency to either deify or villinize others - both being a denial of reality.


_________________
Diane

 2014/3/4 14:12Profile
mama27
Member



Joined: 2010/11/20
Posts: 1404


 Re:

I have yet to read the thread on gossip and slander, but all this debating as to this man's innocence or guilt just sickens me. If anyone is connected with this ministry and "knows" things, it is different. But to be discussing it ad nauseum as a "news item" is not what I think Christians ought to be doing.

I saw a comment somewhere that it was from an article in World magazine which is a magazine accepted among homeschoolers. That is true. We have subscribed to the magazine. But I honestly cancelled my subscription over what seemed innappropriate "dirt" that was in print over another sex scandal - I am thinking it was the Bill Clinton incident, though I don't know if the magazine has been in print that long. It is just not necessary... I am not advocating hiding sin under the carpet. I just think as believers we ought not to be feasting on more than just a simple reporting of the incident. More than that, especially if it doesn't concern you, is not Christlike.

I am closer to this situation than some on this forum, and there are things I could report. But why?? Why would I do that? To make myself appear to be "in the know"? Again, I am not advocating hiding sin....but just let's examine our motives here....

We ought to be so very grieved at such an incident, whether it is TRUE OR FALSE because it tarnishes the name of Christ....I don't sense that some are as concerned at the reputation of Christ, as much as casting stones....

 2014/3/4 16:15Profile
sermonindex
Moderator



Joined: 2002/12/11
Posts: 37631
"Pilgrim and Sojourner." - 1 Peter 2:11

Online!
 Re:

Quote:
I have yet to read the thread on gossip and slander, but all this debating as to this man's innocence or guilt just sickens me. If anyone is connected with this ministry and "knows" things, it is different. But to be discussing it ad nauseum as a "news item" is not what I think Christians ought to be doing.

I saw a comment somewhere that it was from an article in World magazine which is a magazine accepted among homeschoolers. That is true. We have subscribed to the magazine. But I honestly cancelled my subscription over what seemed innappropriate "dirt" that was in print over another sex scandal - I am thinking it was the Bill Clinton incident, though I don't know if the magazine has been in print that long. It is just not necessary... I am not advocating hiding sin under the carpet. I just think as believers we ought not to be feasting on more than just a simple reporting of the incident. More than that, especially if it doesn't concern you, is not Christlike.

I am closer to this situation than some on this forum, and there are things I could report. But why?? Why would I do that? To make myself appear to be "in the know"? Again, I am not advocating hiding sin....but just let's examine our motives here....

We ought to be so very grieved at such an incident, whether it is TRUE OR FALSE because it tarnishes the name of Christ....I don't sense that some are as concerned at the reputation of Christ, as much as casting stones....



Sister, fully agreed. Thank you for sharing your heart. We ought to be very grieved and prayerful for true brethren when they have fallen into the enemies traps.

"reputation of Christ".


_________________
SI Moderator - Greg Gordon

 2014/3/4 16:41Profile
mama27
Member



Joined: 2010/11/20
Posts: 1404


 Re:

And you, Greg Gordon, owner of Sermon Index, and I, mama27, homeschooling mother of 7, are just as easily able to fall into the enemy's trap....indeed, the higher the profile or what is at stake, I believe the more one is a target of the enemy....let us not think we are immune for one second!

 2014/3/4 16:49Profile









 Re:

mama27,

Who in the world is "feasting over this"? Everyone is grieved at how it has been handled and for all the people involved, including Bill and especially for the Lord Jesus.

 2014/3/4 17:10
mama27
Member



Joined: 2010/11/20
Posts: 1404


 Re:

If I am over-reacting, I'm sorry, please forgive me....

 2014/3/4 17:24Profile









 Re:

Absolutely, mama27, of course.

 2014/3/4 17:34
sermonindex
Moderator



Joined: 2002/12/11
Posts: 37631
"Pilgrim and Sojourner." - 1 Peter 2:11

Online!
 Re:

Quote:

And you, Greg Gordon, owner of Sermon Index, and I, mama27, homeschooling mother of 7, are just as easily able to fall into the enemy's trap....indeed, the higher the profile or what is at stake, I believe the more one is a target of the enemy....let us not think we are immune for one second!



Sister,

I do not think you are over-reacting at all. I fully agree that we need to get the right perspective on these things of how the Lord is thinking right now. These type of sad stories put a great fear of the Lord in me. Thank you for your humility in not wanting to hurt anyone in your comments for myself personally I was encouraged by what you wrote and feel you were doing the job of a moderator to put the conversation in the right tone and direction of how we should be thinking.


_________________
SI Moderator - Greg Gordon

 2014/3/4 18:53Profile
roadsign
Member



Joined: 2005/5/2
Posts: 3777


 Re:

I see value in checking this out. On reading the links, I would say that this is far more than just the fall of one leader. It’s about a sick system, a damaging way of functioning, seen all too often in religious environments. The teaching promotes an unquestioning submission to authority – with a tendency to scapegoat the victims. I never caught that years ago. It seemed right. And to be fair, there was indeed good being taught. But the good also masked the troubling aspects.

I admit, years ago I could see some damaging effects of Gothardism in marriages and families. But I believed this was because the followers adhered to the absolute “letter of the law” as interpreted by Gothard, rather than try to grasp the biblical principles in themselves. I admit, I was more critical than understanding.

I’d say that we cannot blame one person, and yet we can't regard anyone as merely a victim. I don't think that's the aim here. I see this thread as an invitation to empathize with the pain of those who were damaged, shamed, turned off of God, and robbed of the experience of grace. And we see that there’s many who unwittingly enabled this. Let’s admit, the teaching is especially appealing to those who like to maintain a controlling kind of authoritarianism, believing this to be godly authority. And there are also many (like wives) who put humans as their head, above Christ – who also unwittingly perpetuated the teaching – failing to grasp their own calling and destiny.

At the end of the day – we are drawn Christ-ward – humbly admitting how easy it is to get caught up in ungodly systems of functioning – believing it to be quite right.

Diane

Thank you Just-in for posting this, and thank you Greg, for giving us the space here to process this - in all our imperfections.



_________________
Diane

 2014/3/4 22:15Profile









 Re:

I had to say I wondered how long it would take to come to this point you make Diane.

Quote:
And there are also many (like wives) who put humans as their head, above Christ – who also unwittingly perpetuated the teaching – failing to grasp their own calling and destiny.



You are absolutely right about one thing. It is much more about the issue of feminism and removing the male from the head of the woman than it has to do with Bill's years long issues over 'dating' numerous young women.

I knew where Just-In was coming from the moment he made this site his signature four weeks ago. That was in response to another discussion on the very same subject as well.

You're are all mad as hatters. Still in the end you are reaping what you have sown as a nation and that is a fact.

 2014/3/5 1:16





©2002-2020 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Affiliate Disclosure | Privacy Policy