SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : Question about state lotteries

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
PosterThread

Re:

Quote:
I will address the $$ for education. To me, it appears to be a crock. It usually is touted as a vehicle to increase educational monies to better educate our children. Sounds good. Many vote on it for that very reason. However, the problem is: when the money starts rolling into the state, the state yanks out the monies the schools WERE getting before the lottery and then the schools are in the same exact position they were in BEFORE the lottery came to town(needing more funding!). Someone benefits, but it sure isn't the schools. If you want to know the truth of this, talk to some public school teachers in the Lottery states. Ask them how much comes out of their own pockets to provide supplies their students need that the schools are not paying for.....

Thats exactly what I wanted to hear about too... the effects of a lottery. (I also would like to get some spiritual insight too!)

I dont trust the government to handle the money properly... especially our corrupt state government of North Carolina. Our state is so messed up financially (Democrats in power, even tho it's a strong conservative state) that there is no way I believe everything is on the up and up about a lottery.

If our governor Mike Easly runs for President someday (which he is considering)... [b]dont vote for him![/b]

Krispy

2005/4/7 14:51
PTywama3

Tacoma, WA

Re:

The thing to note about educational billing is what exactly is going to education? Governments usually make it sound like the educational department is getting like half the proceeds of a lottery sale, when usually its something more like $.01 or less is ever slated to.

Washington state runs a lotto. I was very fortunate to grow up in a city that is vibrantly in support of its schools. The state sure ain't doing much but making things harder for them. I just talked to one of my teachers about alot of the new state and federal regs, and she doesn't really care for much of it at all.

2005/4/7 15:00Profile
dohzman

facts on gambling

You can contact and organization called the ohio round table. They fight against legalized gamming and have alot of stats for you : www.ohioroundtable.org that should help ya

2005/4/7 15:00Profile
IRONMAN

IN HEAVENLY PLACES WITH JESUS

Re: facts on gambling

isn't the stock market a lot like gambling? I mean you put money in and hope for a return?

2005/4/7 18:27Profile
geddingsm

south carolina

Re: lottery

No, because with the stock market you're investing in a tangible entity that has certain rules such as supply and demand etc. With the lottery you're merely playing chance that has odds that are stacked against you. Also those that play lottery are looking for something for nothing.

2005/4/7 18:34Profile
IRONMAN

IN HEAVENLY PLACES WITH JESUS

Re:

oh ok I see.

2005/4/7 18:41Profile

Re:

Quote:
However, the problem is: when the money starts rolling into the state, the state yanks out the monies the schools WERE getting before the lottery and then the schools are in the same exact position they were in BEFORE the lottery came to town(needing more funding!).

Guess what Cindy... it came out yesterday that this is exactly what North Carolina is planning to do! Only they are threatening it before the lottery officially passes in order to twist arms and pressure the Senate to pass it. They project $250M will come in for "education" from the lottery, and they want to cut the budget for education by $300M. What a joke. There is a phrase for that... it's called "bait and switch".

Something interesting has happened tho... like I said, our Represenatives have already passed the bill, but now it has to pass the Senate. The Senate was, at one time, in favor of it by almost 2/3's ... however, a couple of Senators want to add a huge increase of taxes on tobacco, and that [b]never[/b] flies in North Carolina. We're the largest producer of tobacco products in the US, and a tax increase in tobacco products would hurt the tobacco farmers... which means that come next election, a lot of Senators will lose their jobs.

As it stands right now, if that tax gets tagged onto the bill, there is a slight majority [b]against[/b] passing the lottery.

It's funny how adversity makes for strange bedfellows...

Krispy

2005/4/8 7:30
lastblast

Michigan

Re:

Ah, the truth usually will surface when push comes to shove, as it appears to be happening with your lotto situation. :-(

2005/4/8 10:23Profile

Re:

Well, if I win the lottery I'll donate 1/2 the money to Sermon Index.

Just kidding, I wont be playing

Krispy

2005/4/8 11:31
RobertW

St. Joseph, Missouri

Re:

About 20 years ago Missouri approved a state lottery and began selling lottery tickets. Then they did the actual numbers lottery. Then they approved 'river boats' that sit down by the river and pretend to be in the water. Once the Missouri river was saturated with all the gambling it could handle the propigators of gambling wanted to put boats on a river near Branson MO (a 'family friendly' vacation town) but the voters rejected it. Understand that all things of this nature are progressive. I once heard our former mayor of Kansas City say something to the effect that when politicians see how much money can be made with river boats they will dig holes and fill them with water to get them in. A guy attending one of the boats told me he went there and a woman was sitting beside him working a slot machine who looked quite poor. She said, "Just as long as there's a little balogna (balognie) in the 'fridge'." The horror stories abound. It is a door that once it comes in the enemy will come in like a flood and it will be next to impossible to repeal.

2005/4/8 13:02Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy