SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : Questions about the Trinity

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
PosterThread

Questions about the Trinity

Saints can you please direct me to the verses in the New Testament that teach the Trinity. Also what is modalism? How does this view differ from the orthodox understanding of the Trinity? Also can one still be considered a Christian if they reject the Trinity and embrace a view called modalism?

Blaine

2014/2/28 16:38
yuehan

Re: The Trinity

CARM.ORG is a good resource. There have been good discussions on this forum too if you were to look up the archives.

Personally, I like to focus on the deity of Christ (from which Trinitarian doctrine follows quite closely). I believe that's quite clear from the following verses:

(i) Jesus laying claim to the divine title “I AM” (John 8:58)

(ii) Jesus’ acceptance of worship (Matt 14:33, Matt 28:9, Matt 28:17, John 9:38 – compare this with Matt4:10, Deut 6:13)

(iii) The ascribing of divine titles (e.g. “the First and the Last” – compare Isaiah 44:6 with Revelation 1:17), divine attributes (e.g. eternal existence – Micah 5:2 John 1:1) and divine offices (e.g. Creator - Hebrews 1:8-12, Colossians 1:16-17, John 1:1-3) to Jesus

(iv) The baptism of Jesus (Matt 3:13-17, John 1:29-34) and baptismal formula (Matt 28:19)

2014/2/28 16:47Profile
DEADn

Lakeland FL

Re: Questions about the Trinity

William Branham was modalism. Essentially God is one Person acting in different roles like son, nephew, cousin but your name is (fill in the blank). In this cause Gods name is Jesus or maybe Yahweh but He served in the roles of Father, Son, and Holy Spirit. They baptize in Jesus Name because that is the name of God. They present the book of Acts in which everyone was baptized in Jesus' Name v. Father, Son, and Holy SPirit.

I used to work around a guy who believed this stuff and actually went to his church one Sunday to see it for myself.

2014/2/28 16:48Profile
Lysa

East TN for now!

Blaine,

I used to work with a Jesus Only couple and one day we were talking and I found out that both had received the baptism of the Holy Spirit and spoke in tongues. I was flabbergasted!

The Lord opened my eyes and I said to him, “Brother, we can’t be that far apart in theology if God gave you – a Jesus only person and me – a Trinitarian, both the baptism of the Holy Spirit with the gift of speaking in tongues, now can we?”

It is something to think about, Blaine!!

God bless you,
Lisa

2014/2/28 17:37Profile
proudpapa

Hi bear

bear wrote : ///Saints can you please direct me to the verses in the New Testament that teach the Trinity. Also what is modalism?///

1 John 5:7
For there are three that bear record in heaven, the Father, the Word, and the Holy Ghost: and these three are one.

2014/2/28 18:50Profile
JB1968

Ohio USA

Re:

Modalism and saying that God served in different roles presents a problem. The baptism of Jesus presents all three persons of the trinity, each separate and distinct, yet one God. Not each a part of God, but each co-eternal and distinct. If each were a part of God, then neither would be fully God. The early church hammered out the doctrine of the trinity with detailed language and logical conclusions based upon Scripture.

2014/2/28 22:05Profile
JB1968

Ohio USA

Also can one still be considered a Christian if they reject the Trinity and embrace a view called modalism?

This is a departure from orthodox christianity and those groups who deny the trinity generally have been defined as a cult and false in teaching. However, God knows the heart.

2014/2/28 22:09Profile
yuehan

Re:

JB1968: "Also can one still be considered a Christian if they reject the Trinity and embrace a view called modalism?"

In John 7:17 - "If anyone wills to do His will, he shall know concerning the doctrine, whether it is from God or whether I speak on My own authority."

One way to look at this verse is that the more you seek to do God's will, the clearer it would become to you as to which doctrines are of Him and which are not.

So one might not necessarily start off with a clear understanding of Trinitarian doctrine, but doctrinal truths would become progressively clearer as he journeys on with God (like Keith Green, for example).

And God has indeed promised to lead us into ALL truth (John 16:13) :)

2014/3/2 12:52Profile
TMK

NC, USA

Re:

Quote:

"1 John 5:7
For there are three that bear record in heaven, the Father, the Word, and the Holy Ghost: and these three are one."

Even folks I know who are very partial to the KJV have to admit this is an extremely questionable translation of this verse. A quick google search will point to these problems.

2014/3/2 12:58Profile
docs

II Corinthians 13:14

14 - The grace of our Lord Jesus Christ, and the love of God, and the fellowship of the Holy Spirit, be with you all.

The grace of our Lord Jesus Christ - the Son

and the love of God - the Father

and the fellowship of the Holy Spirit - the Spirit

2014/3/2 16:35Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy