SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Articles and Sermons : THE CROSS BEARER - a series

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
PosterThread
sermonindex

Canada

Online!
 Re:

The Cross Borne After Christ
Chapter 9

I looked again. How changed was the face of this disciple! How his cowardice, his waywardness, his self-assurance, all seemed to have been subdued. Again his cross bearing Lord offered him the instrument of self-abasement. His former replies were repeated no more.

​When the cross was again placed upon his shoulder, by the Lord Himself, who had once so meekly suffered for him, he meekly replied, “Lord, what will you have me to do? Not my will, but Your will be done."

I observed the Savior then selecting a cross which was exceedingly large, heavy, and rugged; and laying it on His follower, saying, “Now I intend to honor you with extraordinary service and suffering in my kingdom."

It was cheering to see how promptly and gratefully the disciple now took the instrument of pain and shame from those Blessed Hands. There was no hesitation. There was no questionings. He held the cross as a treasure; neither afraid nor ashamed of it.

2014/2/25 10:38Profile

Re:

This is all very well. However, it doesn't really help one to picture what it actually looks like in real life (rather than in a metaphor) . I have long been confused about the notion of picking up our crosses, particularly regarding how it might apply to myself. Indeed, I sometimes feel guilty for NOT having suffered very much in life.

Thoughts?

2014/2/25 13:01
sermonindex

Canada

Online!
 Re:

I believe one way we can practically follow what is being shared is to look at clear scriptures that speaker of the crucifying of our fleshly desires daily in different areas of our life. ie Colossians chapter 3.

Also the commands of our Lord Jesus Christ in the Gospel is helpful to read in this light.

2014/2/26 15:52Profile
sermonindex

Canada

Online!
 Re:

The Cross Wearisome
Chapter 10

“You did not run well; who did hinder you?”
The Apostle Paul

Our traveler had not gone very far on his path carrying his cross when I beheld him deliberately taking it down from his shoulder and setting it aside as a load he was not willing to carry.

But that ever watchful, faithful Lord, who had begun to lead him in the way of life, was evidently not willing to leave him in that condition. Gently approaching this unfaithful disciple with a kind but reproving look, the Master addressed him:

Lord: “What! Can you not bear your cross one brief hour?”

Disciple: “Lord, I have found my strength insufficient for this hard service.”

Lord: “What is it then that has been so hard?”

Disciple: “I have a great many uncomfortable burdens. Many who have no faith in God, never pray, are much more comfortable than I am.”

Lord: “But my child, did I not though rich, become poor for you?”

Disciple: “I know that, my Savior. But then I found so many sacrifices required that I have concluded at last, I must stop and rest, for a while at least.”

Lord: “Oh, foolish and ungrateful child. Did you think it possible to share My crown by shunning My cross? Do you think I ever lay one unnecessary burden on one of My followers? It is only by patient fellowship in My sufferings, by enduring to the end, that you can enter into intimate fellowship with Me.”

2014/2/26 15:52Profile

Re:

I see, so putting stuff to death that is listed in Col 3:5-9 comes under this whole umbrella. That makes sense, thanks.

2014/2/26 18:32
InTheLight

Phoenix, Arizona USA

Re:

This is very good allegory, thanks for sharing this gem.

Do you know if the drawings mentioned in the introduction can be found on the web?

In Christ,

Ron

2014/2/26 19:24Profile
sermonindex

Canada

Online!
 Re:

Quote:
Do you know if the drawings mentioned in the introduction can be found on the web?

A PDF copy can be read of an old edition here and downloaded as PDF: http://goo.gl/ulQn28

For illustrations you can view them here where I am copying the text from: http://www.blessitt.com/E_Books/TheCrossBearer/CrossBearer_Page1.html

2014/2/26 20:47Profile
sermonindex

Canada

Online!
 Re:

The Cross Alleviated
Chapter 11

“The eternal God is your refuge and underneath are the everlasting Arms.”
The Prophet Moses

“We have not a High Priest which cannot be touched with the feeling of our infirmities, but was, in all points, tempted like as we are.”
The Apostle Paul

The disciple now appeared, cheerfully bearing his burden, intent upon walking closely in the footsteps of his Lord. Every movement indicated great firmness of purpose and great satisfaction in the labors and difficulties of the way.

Soon, however, there was a change. It appeared to be no faltering of purpose, no hesitation to do and bear all that was assigned to him of duty or of suffering. It was a giving away of natural strength.

His knees were trembling, his face became pale; and at length he fainted and fell to the earth. He was in full submission to the will of his Lord. He had bowed his neck and followed Him implicitly. Now we see him no longer shrinking from the cross, but sinking under it. It was a sight one could scarcely behold without a tear.

He that has a feeling for our infirmities heard the cry of the weary soul and came to his relief. How promptly, how kindly, how gently, and powerfully, was His arm outstretched to lift up His fainting follower!

He spoke these words of cheer: “Fear not, I am with you; My grace is sufficient for you. My strength is made perfect in your weakness. You be faithful unto death; and I will give you a crown of life.”

2014/2/26 20:48Profile
sermonindex

Canada

Online!
 Re:

The Cross and the Crown
Chapter 12

“Be faithful unto death, and I will give you a crown of life.”
The Lord of Glory

“Who are these which are arrayed in white robes; and where did they come from.”
The Apostle John

“These are they which came out of great tribulation and have washed their robe and made them white in the Blood of the Lamb.”
One of the Elders

It was now clear that this cross bearing pilgrim had reached the end of his wonderful journey with all its toils and trials. It was seen in his whole appearance and in everything around him. His eyes wandered no more but were steadily fixed on the Lord, observing Him and watching the path He trod. His restless manner had given place to a subdued deportment.

The eagerness of hope could be seen beaming from his countenance, tempered by a submissive spirit. His step was cheerful and the burden seemed to sit lightly, although the weight of the load had not been lightened.

He was walking onward from day to day; a light of heavenly purity was seen shining on his forehead.

In time, he came to part of the road that was exceedingly rugged and painful to travel. In some places it was so steep that he could hardly keep his footing. Sometimes he would suddenly plunge into a gorge where the darkness was like the shadow of death. Yet the same gentle light was always shining around his feet. This was wonderful to behold.

It was a strange place: horrible and yet it did not frighten him. All around him was the light of the heavenly beams. Nothing could live here, except death. Yet the pilgrim could hear angels approaching praising the Lord and welcoming him.

This rugged portion of the road continued for many days of his journey until he came to a high gate stretching across the path with a high wall on both sides of the gate. For a moment he was perplexed not daring to venture on. While he was hesitating, the Lord, whom he had lost sight of for a short time, showed Himself. Jesus Himself opened the doors and looked at the disciple with a smile. At that moment every doubt and fear vanished.

But, who can describe the rest of the scene! The pilgrim gazed in rapturous wonder upon the transformed Face of his Lord. He no longer appeared as the Cross Bearer in his lowly earthly garb, but had on His heavenly robe and crown.

“His head and His hairs were white, as white as snow; and His eyes were as a flame of fire. And His feet like unto fine brass, as if burned in a furnace; and His voice as the sound of many waters."

At His kind call the weary pilgrim sprang through the gateway and in an instant the Lord was taking the cross from his shoulder with His on right hand and casting it away from his sight; and placing upon his brow a beautiful crown.

Soon they passed up a shining way to meet the heavenly hosts approaching him in joyful throngs from the gates of a glorious city that lay in the distance.

What a meeting! What greetings! The child was welcomed home with unutterable joy. But earth cannot hold such joy as attends the pilgrim of earth reaching his heavenly home.
I stood gazing on the enrapturing sight as they all walked toward the city. But in an instant! A cloud hid them from my view.

And this is the end of cross bearing!

2014/2/27 10:37Profile
sermonindex

Canada

Online!
 Re:

This is the end of the booklet.

here is a short excerpt near the end of an add-on writing by Arthur Blessitt:

The Way of the Cross

There is only one path - One way — the cross is at the beginning, and the end, and all along the way. You must carry the cross you picked up at the start.

The way is not marked, only the quiet whisper of the Spirit to say which way — where to step — when to start, stop or leap.

Society, culture and religion are disguised obstacles along the path. Often we seek to find a way to lift the load on one side and then the other. Our ways are easier than 'His Way!" The 'gods' beckon us to enter into them with enticing words — earthly pleasures, vainglory — but the path of Jesus is Crucifixion — dishonor and unity with Him.

For those who prevail, who crawl when they can't walk, and grieve at their sin and weakness — there is a reward! A heavier load, a deeper burden, and if you go far enough, crucifixion!
Our joy is suffering with Him, carrying His cross, obedience, simple obedience and love.

Man's glory is in vain

Man's power so weak ¦

Man's pleasure so quickly passing.

Jesus said, "Whosoever shall come after me, let him deny himself, take up his cross and follow Me."

What Jesus offers is:

Self Denial :¦ The cross

And walking in His steps.

Who will dare to do it!

"I fall at Your feet Lord Jesus. Have mercy on this corrupt flesh, breathe upon it, Oh Lord and burn me with Your fire, put Your light in me, upon me and about me, that there be no darkness, light my path that I may walk with You in power and love. Keep me from all the corruption of wealth, pleasure and vainglory. Nail me to the cross, make me to eat the dirt of humiliation, grind me to powder and let the Spirit blow me where You will. Make me fertile soil that Your seed may grow in me and bear the fruit of the Spirit; love, joy, peace, longsuffering, gentleness, goodness, faith, meekness and self-control. Take this flesh and speak through it thy salvation and truth . Yes Lord, I see the cross before me'¦ nail me to it that I might live! Hallelujah!"

2014/2/27 10:40Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy