SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
Discussion Forum : General Topics : The Church of Wells

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 Next Page )
PosterThread
mattf12486

The Church of Wells

Have any of you heard of this group before. I ask because 2 of my friends who are relatively new believers have sold their possessions and moved to Texas. I'm very concerned for them. I was wondering if anyone has any information on this group. Here is a link to their website. www.thechurchofwells.com

2014/2/18 16:26Profile

Re: The Church of Wells

Tony Mano has an excellent podcast concerning this church.

if you google Tony Mano church at Wells on cross encounter radio. You should be able to pull up the link. I believe in listening to the podcast you will get the information you desire.

I would urge you to pray for your friends. Pray that they come out of this church. And I urge you yourself to not engage any members of the church. As you listen to the podcast you will see why.

Blaine

2014/2/18 16:56
Oracio

Whittier CA USA

Re: The Church of Wells

Quote:
Have any of you heard of this group before. I ask because 2 of my friends who are relatively new believers have sold their possessions and moved to Texas. I'm very concerned for them. I was wondering if anyone has any information on this group. Here is a link to their website. www.thechurchofwells.com

Yes, I have looked into this group and found them to be very deceived and are either heading in the direction of a cult or are already a cult. It is a sad situation and hits home because on the surface they seem to be on fire for street evangelism and endorse many giants of the faith. But when you start hearing their sermons/teachings and reading their writings they start getting seriously weird in certain areas. They are very controlling and manipulative. They teach that if you live with unsaved parents or relatives you must leave if you want to be pleasing to God. They divide over non-essentials such as whether or not you watch TV or sports. They are quick to pronounce someone unsaved over such trivial things. Just recently Tony Miano did a 3 hour blog talk radio show on them. Here is the link to the podcast:

http://www.blogtalkradio.com/cross-encounters/2014/02/17/the-church-of-wells-is-it-a-cult

Just today on my Facebook page my friend Mike Corrothers posted this after he listened to the podcast:

"The young man mentioned in the interview with Tony Miano, has come to our fellowship his name is Masao Gonthiet, he is half Japanese and half American. He did many of the same things at our fellowship. Speaking in King James English. Bursting into song for no reason at all. He even went to Lee & Nidia' house, he asked them for their testimony. Him and his friend that was with him. Then they told them that they were not saved, and that they needed to repent or they were going to hell.

Masao himself even attempted to recruit me . On the phone he asked me if him and a friend could stay at my house. That he had some things you wanted to tell me. He also mentioned that he would like to invite me to the Church of wells. I refused. Yet he continued to call for a while. Later I heard that he had married a 16 year old girl. And she was pregnant with his child, and was living on the compound in Wells, Texas.

Many young people are living there now. In what can only be described as what the first man in the interview with Tony had said. You can't leave. You can't even make a decision on your own without discussing it with an elder. Many are being deceived in this cult. I was not surprised in Tony's interview to hear Masao's name. May God mercy on him. I hope and pray that he will realize someday that he is misled, and is going a stray from the gospel of Jesus Christ."

Here are some more links that may be of interest:

http://www.ketknbc.com/news/exclusive-interview-with-former-church-of-wells-me

http://www.ketknbc.com/news/exclusive-part-2-interview-with-former-church-of-w

http://www.cbs19.tv/story/23295326/daughters-involvement-in-controversial-religious-group-concerns-family

http://www.texasmonthly.com/story/is-the-church-of-wells-a-cult

2014/2/18 17:02Profile
mattf12486

Re:

Thanks for your guys advice. It has been a sobering thing to see my friends get swallowed up into this group. We were all on "fire" for the Lord, but I'm realizing Satan was playing off of our pride at times. Because we had been exposing ourselves to extreme holiness preaching, (listening to alot of Ravenhill, Washer,) we became so introspective and began questioning alot of what we had been taught. The enemy moved in quickly and captured them.

2014/2/18 17:13Profile
Heydave

Hampshire, UK

Re:

Looking at the website, on face value it looks like a lot of relatively young men with a lot of zeal, but without the stabilising influence of mature men
keeping them from going to extremes and error.

One of the elders there is Sean Morris who spoke at the SI Indiana conference a few years ago, so maybe Greg can give us some more insight on him.

All three elders are young men, which is an obvious concern.

2014/2/18 18:20Profile
sermonindex

"Pilgrim and Sojourner." - 1 Peter 2:11

Online!
 Re:

Quote:
Looking at the website, on face value it looks like a lot of relatively young men with a lot of zeal, but without the stabilising influence of mature men
keeping them from going to extremes and error.

One of the elders there is Sean Morris who spoke at the SI Indiana conference a few years ago, so maybe Greg can give us some more insight on him.

We have taken off that short devotional message that he was allowed to share in an impromptu fashion. I personally had time to travel with 2 of the young leaders of this group many years ago. From the fruit I have seen and from testimonies of other elder brothers they are not able to recieve any correction or guidance in the ways of the Lord. They feel superior and elevated in their standing of truth and will not humble themselves to realize they have erred.

I would strongly counsel any brethren to not associate with them and to encourage anyone they know in the group to leave the group. When you have all of the true brethren in America warning against them then you know something is wrong, but sadly these 3 leaders have not seen this. They recently spoke out against Carter Conlon in a false prophetic way.

Many godly men have clearly warned and shared not to associate with them: Keith Daniel, Paul Washer, Don Courville and others.

It is sad that they "use" Ravenhill, and Rolfe Barnard to support what they do but these men would reject them in their prideful stance on themselves being right and any other assembly them theirs is wrong.

They are self-appointed Elders who are closed themselves off from the rest of the body of Christ. The most alarming is their stance to control the people who are converted under them to dis-associate with all other believers and especially family calling them all "unbelievers" even if they have a profession of faith.

2014/2/18 18:31Profile
mattf12486

Re:

Before my friends were captured, we had a meeting with them and one of the members of the Church of Wells who had drove all the way from Texas to New Jersey. I believe his name was William Pierce. My friends had only been around this guy for a couple of days and when I saw them it was as if they took on a whole new persona. No emotion, very somber, speaking robotically. It reeked of false humility and it was almost like they were giving the "correct" biblical answers to the questions that were raised. In our attempt to stop our friends from being captured by Wells, we were put on trial and our professions of faith were being attacked. The scriptures were being butchered, William Pierce was using the book of Proverbs to attack and silence anyone he felt threatened by. For example, one of us was speaking rather passionately about our concerns of what was going on, and William Pierce started using the text, "if a man doens't bridle his toungue his religion is in vain." He then began to discredit our stance on the scriptures and by the end of the night they wouldn't even call us brothers. They kept saying things like light has no fellowship with darkness and you must come to the light. The problem was the "light" was their truth and manipulation of the scriptures. It was the most bizarre experience I've ever been apart of. The Bible was being used as a weapon to attack and wound.

2014/2/18 19:04Profile
sermonindex

"Pilgrim and Sojourner." - 1 Peter 2:11

Online!
 Re:

Quote:
n our attempt to stop our friends from being captured by Wells, we were put on trial and our professions of faith were being attacked.

Thank you for sharing your story in this regard. I witness this happen many times where they would spend 1-4 hours with an individual and systematically convince them they are unsaved and then try and get them saved the right way. It was grieving to watch this happen and for good true brothers who were giving them hospitality in their home also.

It is rare that I want to publicly step out to share in this way but this group is hurting many true remnant saints and I want to be clear with this testimony that I am sharing online that they are hurting many and not submissive to any authority except their own.

2014/2/18 19:12Profile
PaulWest

Dallas, Texas

Re:

I stand with brother Greg and others in regard to these people. My wife and I personally know someone who is entrenched in this group, and it breaks our hearts, knowing how much we love her and her family. We pray for them.

2014/2/18 20:43Profile
Oracio

Whittier CA USA

Re:

Amen brothers and sisters. When we are young and immature it can be easy for us to be gullible and deceived by extremes which look and sound good on the surface but are dangerous and harmful at the core. In the past I have fallen for certain unbiblical extremes but God has been faithful to discipline me and show me where I have erred. So I can relate to this group to a certain extent, and my heart goes out to them in sincere prayer for them to realize and repent of their error.

I believe this should serve as a warning to all of us who love Christ-centered holiness preaching and Christ-centered revival. We must guard against certain extremes. I believe this should also serve as a warning to those who are continuists when it comes to the gift of prophecy. This group is heavily into prophesying against biblical, God-fearing churches, pronouncing unreasonable judgments even against solid churches and pastors, as brother Greg pointed out regarding Carter Conlon and TSC. I watched one of the videos of that leader in which he prophecies against brother Carter and it was totally uncalled for and had no biblical grounds at all.

May we take heed that in our zeal for holiness and truth we don't get caught up in serious error.

2014/2/19 0:37Profile

©2002-2020 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Affiliate Disclosure | Privacy Policy