SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
Discussion Forum : News and Current Events : Churches Cancel, Move Services for Super Bowl Sunday

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 Next Page )
PosterThread
sermonindex

"Pilgrim and Sojourner." - 1 Peter 2:11

Online!
 Churches Cancel, Move Services for Super Bowl Sunday

Congregations across the United States, including megachurches like NewSpring in South Carolina, have canceled or moved their worship services to allow families to watch the Super Bowl on Sunday. The churches say this is neither worldly nor sinful.

"We're moving service times for the Big Game," reads a bold message on the NewSpring Church website.

"We know the game is important so we're moving the service times to better fit your schedule," says the megachurch, which canceled Saturday night services at four locations and won't have night services at all on Sunday. "This will allow us to reach more people that week and give you more opportunities to invite your friends and family," it adds.

The North Point Community megachurch in Atlanta, Ga., has also canceled its 6.30 p.m. Sunday service to let the congregation watch the Seahawks take on the Denver Broncos. "Enjoy the Super Bowl," says its website alongside the cancelation notice.

read more: http://www.christianpost.com/news/churches-cancel-move-services-for-super-bowl-sunday-113840/

2014/2/2 15:00Profile
DEADn

Lakeland FL

Re: Churches Cancel, Move Services for Super Bowl Sunday

This happens all the time. Some churches will move their service up an hour and then hold a 'Super Bowl' party after the service.

2014/2/2 15:52Profile

Re:

The Babylonish church cannot compete with the Super Bowl. These are churches that are full of lost people, starting with their "pastor".

Think about this for a moment. The Super Bowl has decadent half time shows, horrible ads, half dressed cheerleaders and the "churches" are admitting they cannot compete with that so they reschedule. Hey, let's all have a Super Bowl party and then get together and praise the Lord, afterwards.

Who do you think will get the most shouts and praise?

2014/2/2 17:32
Sidewalk

San Diego

Re:

You are on fire, Just-in!

Looks like the Broncos must have skipped out of Sunday services today too...

2014/2/2 20:01Profile
KingJimmy

Charlotte, NC

Re: Churches Cancel, Move Services for Super Bowl Sunday

In all fairness to the brethren across the United States, but the Super Bowl has become something of an unofficial holiday in our country. Adjusting the church calendar to reflect this reality is not sinful or worldly. It's just practical, and a realization that people have lives outside of punching their church attendance clock. They like to have fun, and to have fun in the context of family, friends, coworkers, and other church people, outside of a formal church service or small group meeting. It's no different than adjusting the church calendar for other major holidays.

I think canceling all of Saturday night services is a bit excessive, and would definitely raise an eyebrow with me if my church did it. But dang... a church that normally has a Saturday night service. How many churches do you know that normally do that? Why the condemnation for this?

Perhaps the amount of volunteers needed during such a time suddenly become in short supply, and instead of brow beating people to show up and to volunteer and to come to church, that local church just realizes that getting together simply won't be practically possible. So instead of half-way doing a service with the few people they know will show up, they just decide to take off. What's wrong with that?

Additionally, while I am all for the brethren frequently getting together, and all the more as the day of the Lord draws near, I also realize that there are some times where many sincere and godly Bible believing Christians would rather do something besides attend another church service. Heck, in my own life, there are some Sunday mornings where I realize the best church I can go to is "Bedside" Baptist.

As somebody who has been active in ministry for over a decade now, I realize there are times where having a service is very difficult to pull off. For example, leading a small group between Thanksgiving and the middle of January is almost impossible. People are too busy with family, friends, and coworkers doing holiday stuff. As a result, I would suggest to anybody thinking of leading a small group in their area, that they should consider not doing so between Thanksgiving and Martin Luther King Jr holidays. If they do, they should think outside the box and make a style of meeting that will be a bit more festive and light hearted. And they should probably only do so on a bi-weekly basis, as people just won't be able to commit.

Most years I use the Super Bowl as a time to simply hang out with family and friends, and to enjoy some pretty awesome food. I've often thrown Super Bowl parties at my place. Church people often come. It's fantastic. I've used it as a tool to help build community around me. I put my hospitality gifts to use. It is something people have truly loved.

Of course during these times, you are welcome to host regular weekly Bible studies at the home of one of the brethren, or some other location, if you wish. But don't be so shocked if nobody comes, or perhaps only one or two come. For years I tried to have Bible studies during the Christmas holiday season, and often I found myself being the only one that would show up... and my groups really loved the Lord. At first I had a righteous and holy fit over these things. But then I decided it was much better to show grace instead. I've realized having another "church service" is not always the most profitable thing to do, and that people have lives outside of church related activity that is perfectly healthy.

2014/2/3 8:44Profile
Oracio

Whittier CA USA

Re:

The idea that the early church would have canceled their regular gatherings in recognition of some sporting event just doesn't sit too well with me. But maybe I'm being too legalistic in my thinking.

2014/2/3 15:07Profile
DEADn

Lakeland FL

Re:

Not sure I like the attitude on this comments. What I am gathering is that those who love to watch the Super Bowl are carnal Christians because they skip Sunday night service to watch the service while the 'righteous' ones go to church. Really? Is that what it comes down to? I hear this accusations come and go year after year and to me it is nothing but pride dressed up in religious nonsense. What happens if one watches the game but not the half time show? I don't remember seeing the cheerleaders on tv.

Are Christians even allowed to have fun without a sermon thrown at the because an event falls on a Sunday and it happens ONCE a year?
Similar things happens around Halloween as well.

As an strict IFB would say that I know, help yourself to my words.

John

2014/2/3 16:15Profile

Re:

When you read about Jesus, the Apostles the early saints even the OT men and women of God, you get the sense of altogether, very different people than we have in modern Christendom, today (by and far). Their mind(set) was truly on things above. It was witnessed in their talk and their actions.

There are countless testimonies on the Net of people who finally relented and gave in, to be a little more "loose" and have "fun" as they were accused of being too holy or too legalistic. What did they find? It was a subtle, yet clever trap that damaged their relationship with the Lord. They ran back to Jesus. Selah!

Holiness is not legalism. There is a legalism that will kill, but it is not holiness.

I get the sense that early believers would have felt strange sitting next to unbelievers in the coliseum and rooting for their winning team. They did not have time to think about fun, as "all that will live godly in Christ Jesus shall suffer persecution".

And maybe that's the problem. Christians schedule a large part of their life in America to the pursuit of fun. What will happen when persecution comes? Will persecution even come if no one is living godly? Maybe that is why persecution has not come to America. Supposedly, we have millions and millions of Christians who are living godly. Tell me: Where is the persecution?

And for a whole other thread: What was the definition of fun for Jesus, the Apostles and the Early Church.

Are we a serious people?

2014/2/3 17:24
DEADn

Lakeland FL

Re:

Just-in

what I read in your words is that Christians should not be able to do things in the name of fun because it is considered compromise in some way. It is ok if one has a food fellowship after church but don't include some kind of sports into it because then satan can enter in. This is what I perceive from your post.

Christian would have felt strange rooting along side unbelievers? Really? Do you think Christians should be away from worldly things so their faith isn't tampered in some way? Do you point the fingers at those who are Christians involved in sports at the highest levels because they are 'in' the world nevermind the witness they provide. How can you judge such things and use the early Christians as the holy grail to what you think probably happened back then?

2014/2/3 17:59Profile
InTheLight

Phoenix, Arizona USA

Re:

How does that old saying go... A hit dog always hollers.

2014/2/3 18:15Profile

©2002-2020 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Affiliate Disclosure | Privacy Policy