SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : Christendom has despised Jesus

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread

Christendom has despised Jesus

Now I realize that this is a provocative title, I make no apologies for that. In 2 Sam 12, we find King David in a very bad situation. He has committed adultery with Bathsheba, he tried to cover his tracks when she got pregnant, but a foreign convert , Uriah the Hittite , the husband of Bathsheba was more honorable that David. Therefore David’s attempts to cover up his adultery was foiled so David had him killed.

Brothers and sisters, this is such a low state for the man after God’s own heart. And after Nathan the prophet comes to David and exposes him, God speaks. God speaks brothers and sisters, one should be very afraid when God speaks, it is a fearful thing to fall into the hands of the Living God. And here is the charge that God levels against David, His beloved. ” You have despised me.” ( 1 Sam 12:10) Can you imagine hearing that charge against you from God? Yet that is exactly what David heard.

Now this word despised in the Greek is ” baw-zaw,” meaning to disesteem, to think lightly off. It is the same word used in Gen 25:34 to describe Esau’s selling of his birthright for some bread and some soup. Can you imagine selling your birthright just simply to satisfy your immediate needs? Can you imagine that food on the table would be thought more highly off than the Living God and the birthright that He has given to us? And yet, do we not live in a day and age where our immediate needs, meaning the basic needs of this world and our day-to-day living are thought more highly of than God? Are we not encouraged to live our best lives now? Have we not allowed our desires and hungers to be elevated above our love and desire for God? And are we not blind to it, so terribly blind to it? If David needed a prophet to reveal his wickedness, and this a man after God’s own heart, beloved of God, are we so proud as to think that we would not need this level of rebuke?

We are that blind, Christendom is that blind and in fact has never been more blind to its state. So the question is, is Christendom today representative of Esau or David? It’s a hugely important question. As soon as God finishes speaking to David, rebuking him, David says this “ I have sinned against the Lord.” (2 Sam 12:13) We see humility in David as the prophet tells him that by his actions God is blasphemed by His enemies. And because of that humility, David is forgiven, not without consequences, but forgiven none-the-less. The very next thing we here about Esau after he had despised his birthright is that he marries two woman outside of the faith so to speak, he marries two Hittites strangely enough. He is doubling down on his sin and fully immersing himself in the world.

Christendom today has despised God in the fullest sense of that word. They are as blind to their sin as David was. And unless they hear God directly and acknowledge and repent of their sin as David did, they will be hopelessly lost to, and be entangled by the cares of this world. In describing what is and what is not the Kingdom of God Jesus says this “And the cares of this world, and the deceitfulness of riches, and the lusts of other things entering in, choke the word, and it becometh unfruitful…….For there is nothing hidden which shall not be revealed; nor became covered, but that it might come to the light. If any man has ears to hear, let him hear.” ( Mar 4:19-23)

So Father I pray this morning, in the mighty name of Jesus our Lord, that Christendom, all that calls itself by thy name and has caused your enemies to blaspheme you, shall hear the word of God as David heard and be broken and contrite before your throne for despising you. For despising their birthright and allowing the cares of this world and their immediate needs to overshadow you Lord, may they find forgiveness rather than further entanglement with this world which will surely choke them to death. Lord you lay before us life and death, may we all reach out and take a hold of life, eternal life and may we despise, think lightly off the things of this world for they are surely passing away and before very long we shall all stand before you. We pray this in the name of Jesus.

2013/12/18 12:04
ginnyrose

Mississippi

Re: Christendom has despised Jesus

Interesting you bring this subject up given the news reports in recent months of ministry leaders who succumbed to gross immorality. Just like David. And they worked to cover up, too. Don't know how many had an 'Uriah' killed, although usually there are those who see the red flags and when they work to correct the problem are 'killed'.

Sin never changed, nor did its consequences, nor people's attempts to cover up. They fail every time IF God has his hand on a their life.

If you expect God to answer your prayer, we will soon hear more reports of wrong-doing by prominent leaders in Christian ministry... and hope they will repent and not escape by suicide.

2013/12/18 12:17Profile

Re:

Hi Ginnyrose, I did not have in mind Christian leaders, whatever that is, although if the shoe fits. I had in y spirit Christendom in general and its terribly low state. I believe the low state of Christendom, just like David's low state is due to despising Jesus in the full sense and proper meaing of that word. What I am not sure of is, is modern day Christendom like Esau who despised his birthright or is it like David, who despised God, according to God, yet when this was shown clearly to him he repented and a clean heart was created in him and the Holy Spirit returned along with the joy of his salvaion according to Psalm 51. The question would be for Christendom is general, are they unclean, has the Holy Spirit , the presence of God departed and taken with it the joy that is to be found in salvation, leaving behind merely works and programs and institutions ..............bro Frank

2013/12/19 2:36
dohzman

Re:

The question would be for Christendom is general, are they unclean, has the Holy Spirit , the presence of God departed and taken with it the joy that is to be found in salvation, leaving behind merely works and programs and institutions ..............bro Frank

That is a tough question. Since the proof of our faith is righteous works. I think that only God knows the heart of man.I read a book years ago on the motivation to action and the volunteers of several organizations participated and the reason behind their helps or leadership were as varied as one can imagine. Often times I see guilt, selfishness or you name it as a prime motivator. Regardless I believe that the Lord is still in control and weaves all things together for good.

2013/12/19 10:08Profile

Re:

Dohzman writes.........

".I read a book years ago on the motivation to action and the volunteers of several organizations participated and the reason behind their helps or leadership were as varied as one can imagine."

To which I agree brother. This post was more " speaking to Christendom," as a whole. Perhaps that is not possible, nor makes any sense to speak to something so indefinable? I think any word spoken should speak to us all on one level or another. From the ones to whom the word was for to even the most sensitive amongst us. I know I myself searched my own heart to see if I had " despised God." Had I esteemed Him less in my life, has anything overshadowed His place in my life? David and Esau were the extreme examples and legitimate examples and I do think we live in a western world that professes faith in Christ yet esteems things more than Jesus, thus despising Him. Yet of course we all must beware when we stand lest we fall.........bro Frank

2013/12/19 12:45
dohzman

Re:

I do think we live in a western world that professes faith in Christ yet esteems things more than Jesus, thus despising Him.bro.Frank

I think you are right here. I was talking to one of our church leaders in NE Ohio recently and the comment was made that midweek services have all but gone by the wayside. Mainly because families with children have stopped coming, to many other child based events, sports programs and what not taking place. Psalms says if the foundations be destroyed what can the righteous do. I think there are some specific trends going on presently that are very destructive, but I also believe that God is still in control....even though I can not see it, personally (to be honest).

2013/12/19 17:55Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy