SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Devotional Thoughts : The Beautiful Feet of Christmas

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
roadsign

The Beautiful Feet of Christmas

“How beautiful are the feet of those who bring good news.” Romans 10:15

Every Christmas, one special person in Jesus’s nativity story remains in the shadows. We rarely see this person on Christmas cards or in carols. Today I wish to shine the spotlight on this one. You’ll soon know who I mean.

The setting is the temple in Jerusalem. For centuries worshippers gathering here have been awaiting the promised Messiah. Then one day an elderly woman arises from her sleepy quarters and is seen shuffling about, intensely excited. She’s got good news! She’s seen Him! The Messiah has arrived! Imagine the commotion she created in the temple that day.

You know who she is. She’s the prophetess, Anna. Anna had lived a quiet life in a room allotted for widows. She “never left the temple, but worshipped night and day, fasting and praying.” Anna did not need an angel or star to guide her that special day; she was in tune to the Spirit and in the right place at the right time. She instantly recognized the Christchild and at once “gave thanks to God and spoke about the child to all who were looking forward to the redemption of Jerusalem.” Luke 2:38.

Of Anna it can be said that she had beautiful feet. That’s how scripture describes those who bring good news. Anna, it seems, was the first one to preach the good news of Christ’s arrival to the people in the Temple: God’s chosen people. She deserves a place in our nativity retellings.

Scripture says nothing about angels or stars being beautiful. Yet we read about feet being beautiful – the dusty, smelly feet of those who bring good news. Anna was among them. She may have been withered and bent over from age. But her feet were beautiful in God’s eyes.

This Christmas, while you enjoy lovely ornaments and carols of angels and stars, remember the beautiful feet of Christmas: Anna’s feet. And don’t forget the beautiful feet of unnumbered saints who have proclaimed the good news of Christ’s coming down the centuries.

Will your feet be among them?

Prayer: Dear Lord, enrich our joy this season by opening our eyes to see new beauty in the story of Jesus’s birth.

2013/12/5 8:57Profile
roadsign

Re: Beautiful Feet

“How beautiful on the mountains are the feet of those who bring good news, who proclaim peace, who bring good tidings, who proclaim salvation, who say to Zion, “Your God reigns!” Isaiah 52:7

In Bible times feet were quite literally the means for spreading good news. Of course, “beautiful feet” is a metaphor for human messengers: bearers of the news of God’s covenant fulfillment. God highly esteems such people. And it’s not merely unbelievers who need to hear good news. Consider these New Testament examples:

1) “I (Paul) thank my God through Jesus Christ for all of you, because your “faith is being reported all over the world.” Rom. 1:8

2) “It gave me (John) great joy when some believers came and testified about your faithfulness to the truth, telling how you continue to walk in it. I have no greater joy than to hear that my children are walking in the truth.” 3 John 1:3

You and I also need good news - evidence of God’s covenant being fulfilled in the lives of people. It encourages us and edifies our faith. It fills us with joy. Good news assures us that God’s Spirit is at work transforming lives. It’s proof of God’s faithfulness according to his covenant promise. Our God is still reigning!

Have you been encouraged lately through “beautiful feet” bringing you good news? Are you among those whose feet are beautiful because you proclaim good news through word and life testimony?

As we walk amongst each other, may we be a people of “beautiful feet” – and in that way be both encouraged and encourager.

2013/12/16 22:08Profile

Re:

Diane beaautiful thoughts for this time of year. Always love your postings. They edify ny heart.

Blaine

2013/12/17 14:49
roadsign

The Beautiful Feet of Christmas

To bless you....

2016/12/12 14:07Profile

Re: The Beautiful Feet of Christmas

Dear sister good to see this thread up again. Good to see you posting on the Forum again. Your post are always edifying and thought-provoking.

-bro blaine-

2016/12/12 14:26
TMK

NC, USA

Re:

This is excellent. You are right- we don't think about Anna- or Simeon- enough. Maybe we need a song about them.

2016/12/12 14:32Profile
jochbaptist

Simeon's song

Here is a song by Michael Card.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rBZiPRPogn0&sns=em

2016/12/12 19:12Profile
TMK

NC, USA

Re: Simeon's song

Cool.

2016/12/12 19:32Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net