Image Map
Discussion Forum : Articles and Sermons : John Wesley - Finding Faith - quotes

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread

John Wesley - Finding Faith - quotes

The Holy Spirit and Power - John Wesley

http://books.google.com/books?id=MhBbj58ZuVQC&q=

parts of Chapter 1

"In my discussion with Peter Bohler, I was amazed by his accounts of a living faith. He insisted that the fruits of holiness and happiness were part of such a faith. I went back to my Greek New Testament to verify his claims. I resolved to accept the testimony of the Scriptures. I was sure that God would direct my search. He would show me whether this doctrine was of Him." (pg 21)

"What I could not understand was what he spoke of as an instantaneous work. I could not understand how this faith could be given in a moment. How could one be turned from sin and misery into righteousness and joy in the Holy Spirit instantaneously?...To my utter astonishment, I found scarcely any instances of conversions except the instantaneous kind. Few were as slow as that of Paul who was three days in the labor of the new birth..." (22)

[Then he starts to think God ceases from working this instantaneous way in later times.]

"The next day I was beaten out of this retreat, also. Peter brought me Christians who testified God had changed them in a moment. In a moment, they said, God had given them a living faith in Jesus. That faith transferred them from darkness to light, out of sin and fear into holiness and happiness. Here my disputing ended. I could now only cry out, "Lord, help my unbelief!" (23)

"In Germany, I continually met with living proofs of the power of faith. Many persons there had been saved from inward as well as outward sin by the love of God in their hearts. They were freed from all doubt and fear by the abiding witness of the Holy Spirit who had been given them." (25)

"I heard the senior minister preach on four occasions. Each time his topic was one which I wanted to hear. Three of these sermons concerned those who are weak in faith, the ones who are saved-justified-but have not yet received the new clean heart. They have received forgiveness through the blood of Christ, but have not received the constant indwelling of the Holy Spirit." (25)

2013/11/30 20:50
murrcolr

Scotland, UK

Re: John Wesley - Finding Faith - quotes

Quote: "In Germany, I continually met with living proofs of the power of faith. Many persons there had been saved from inward as well as outward sin by the love of God in their hearts. They were freed from all doubt and fear by the abiding witness of the Holy Spirit who had been given them."

Lets us be like Wesley and find the truth in the Scriptures "I resolved to accept the testimony of the . I was sure that God would direct my search"

2013/12/1 7:21Profile

©2002-2020 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Affiliate Disclosure | Privacy Policy