SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : Just wondering

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 )
PosterThread

Re:

Bearmaster, before I ever read one word of the Bible I received the life of Christ.

I think you have made your point that the Scriptures are precious and the word of God received with an open heart (good ground) will bring forth much fruit.

No one is arguing with that. Like all discussions, many different truths are always brought out.

2013/11/24 20:14
MrBillPro

Texas

Re:

Quote:
bearmaster
So how is it the Anabaptists found a need to read the word and it is being downplayed here?

I know we all interpret things differently, especially in cyberspace, but I don't see anywhere on this thread were anyone has literally downplayed the basic need to read the word of God. I guess I could add this, it does not make a difference how much Word you know, if you are not obeying it, so staying in the word becomes two fold, if your not doing both, your really just spinning your wheels.

2013/11/24 20:26Profile
Oracio

Whittier CA USA

Re:

Just my two cents, I believe both sides raise good and valid points. We should all make time for and devour God's Word as much as we can each day, but we should also realize that God is more concerned about quality than quantity, as in many other areas of life and godliness.

Brother bearmaster, thank you for your exhortation. Brother Paul West, thank you for yours also.

2013/11/24 21:07Profile

Re:

It is true that today's believers are frequently found to have less biblical knowledge than in previous times, and value their Bibles less than those in situations where they are harder to get hold of but this is a symptom of a 'disease` and the cure is not to be found in any outward action. It is a spiritual problem and must be dealt with spiritually.

The cause is that the person is not in direct communion with the Word which scripture says is Christ, not some written records of His works, valuable as they are. You shall search the scriptures for in them you think you will have eternal life. The Jews knew them inside out.

If the Living Word is in us, then we will find new insights daily, but if we have gone dry, we will gain little and as Brother Paul rightly says, we will even grow in pride.

If the preachers and leaders were filled with the Spirit, and living holy lives, it would set up a hunger and I thirst in others so that there would be no need to take out the stick to beat their hearers with guilt trips and bemoan the state of the church. Much better for them to step down and admit their lack so that we can see the true state of the church rather than have the hypocrisy that God hates.

2013/11/25 2:32

Re:

Dear brother Blaine, thank you for this thread and the admonition to wash ourselves more and more in Gods Word. Some other wonderful truths have also sprung forth from this discussion that I do not think have diminished your point which is that "we need more of God, not less of Him".

Keep challenging us with these admonitions dear brother...I for one need it, and if nothing else these discussions give us an opportunity to humble ourselves and quickly forgive one another. Watching the way brother Paul and you walked this out was the best part of this entire thread actually and reminds us all to look for the best in one another and love one another despite our misunderstandings. Blessings to you today!

2013/11/25 7:51
MrBillPro

Texas

Re:

Quote:
awakened
Watching the way brother Paul and you walked this out was the best part of this entire thread actually and reminds us all to look for the best in one another and love one another despite our misunderstandings. Blessings to you today!

Amen! Neighbor/Brother. :)

2013/11/25 9:34Profile

Re: MrBillPro

Hi brother Bill, well howdy there neighbor...what part of town do you hail from? We are in the NW area around Cypress.

2013/11/26 18:00
MrBillPro

Texas

Re:

Hey Mark, I am off the beltway and west, so we are not to far apart.

2013/11/26 18:48Profile
ginnyrose

Mississippi

Re:

Fascinating how God does use the foolish things of the world to confound the wise...

Our pastor told us a story of a Mennonite evangelist who had a Ph.D. from a prestigious university, who was literate in the ancient languages. This fellow said how he is amazed that a person with little education - like 8th grade - can come to the same conclusion in his understanding of the WORD as he does [with all his education.]

Personally, as a woman, I do not have time to spend hours in the WORD each day. But what I can do is read early in the day and meditate on it all day long when I am not consumed with other pressing matters. When I am scheduled to teach an adult SS class I will read the lesson early in the week, meditate on it all week and by Sunday experience a frustration because I will have ONLY 30 minutes to share. By then I have to ask the LORD to help me say ONLY those things he wants me to share. Yes, one can meditate on the WORD as you go about your work. It will impact the decisions you make and how you respond to people. "Thy WORD is a lamp to my feet"; "thy Word have I hid in my heart" - so says David and it works.

2013/11/27 10:51Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy