SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : Difference Between True and False Humility

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
PosterThread

Re:

I know this has been posted before, but I thought it might be of edification to include it in this post.

Sermon preached by Gerhard Du Toit "Humility VS Pride":

Here's the transcript of this message, the audio/text link can be found at the end, Kenneth:

BROKENNESS

“The Lord is near to the brokenhearted…” -Psalm 34:18

• When God has given me a broken heart, I’m overwhelmed with a sense of my own spiritual need.
• When I live a broken Christian life, there is a spirit of compassion about my life because I can forgive much because I know how much I have been forgiven. I always esteem others better than myself.
• When I serve God with a broken heart, I have a dependant spirit and I recognize my need for others.
• When I serve God with a broken life, I’ve learned the secret of denying myself.
• When my heart is broken before God, I have a motivation to serve others. I’m motivated to be faithful before God, and to make others a success.
• When my heart is broken before God, I have a deep desire to promote other believers. I have a sense of my own unworthiness. And I’m so thrilled that God would use me in any kind of a ministry or any kind of a fellowship. I’m always eager for others to get the credit.
• When my heart is broken, I rejoice when others are lifted up and I never defend myself.
• When my heart is broken before God, I have a heart attitude that says, “I do not deserve to be part of this fellowship. I know that I’ve got nothing to offer God, except the life of Christ that is flowing through my broken life.”
• When I’m broken before God, I’m so humiliated by how much more I have to learn. I’m not concerned about the self-life. I’m willing to take risks to become vulnerable, and to be close to others, and to open my life to love other people.
• When I serve God with a broken heart, I always take personal responsibility and I can see where I have done wrong in any kind of a situation.
• When I’m broken before God I always receive criticism with a humble and with an open spirit. I'm concerned about being real. And what they care about and what matters to those who are broken, is not what others think, but it’s what God knows about them. And I’m willing to die to my own reputation.
• When I live a broken Christian life, I’m willing to be open and transparent with others, as God will direct me.
• When I’m broken before God, I don’t care who knows or who finds out about me. I am willing to be exposed because I have nothing to lose in my relationship with God.
• When I serve God with a broken heart, I’m always quick to admit my failures, and I want to seek forgiveness whenever it is necessary.
• When I live a broken Christian life, and I’m under the conviction of God’s Spirit, I’m able to acknowledge the specifics about my sin. I’m grieved over the cause of my sin, and I’m grieved over the root of my sin.
• When I’m broken before God, I truly and genuinely repent over my sin, and the evidence in the fact is that I want to forsake that sin.
• When I live a broken Christian life, I want to take the initiative to be reconciled when there has been a misunderstanding, or a conflict in any kind of a relationship. I want to race to the cross, I want to see if I can get there first no matter how wrong the other person may have been.
• When I’m broken before God, I compare myself with the holiness of God. I sense the desperate need of the mercy and the grace of God. I always want to walk in the light.
• When I serve God with a broken spirit, I realize that I have a need of a consistent cleansing of heart and repentance.
• When I’m broken before God, I continually sense my need for a fresh encounter with God the Holy Spirit.

PRIDE

“God opposes the proud…” –James 4:6

• When there is pride in my life as a Christian, I always focus on the failures of other Christians and other fellowships.
• When there is pride in my life, I’ve got a very self-righteous spirit, I’ve got a critical spirit, I have a fault finding spirit, and I look at everyone else’s faults through the microscope, but I always look at my own faults through the telescope and I always look down upon the lives of other people.
• When there is pride in my life, I have an independent and a self-sufficient spirit. I’m protective of my time. I try to protect my reputation and my rights as a Christian, and I focus on the deficiencies of other Christians.
• When there is pride in my life, I want to be served by other Christians. I’ve got a desire to be successful. I want to advance the self-life.
• When there is the sin of pride in my life, I’ve got this drive, I want to be appreciated, I want to be recognized. I’m offended and I’m wounded when other Christians are promoted, and I have been overlooked, because of what I have done.
• When there is pride in my life, I’ve got this inner attitude, and this is what I say: “This fellowship is very privileged to have me and my gifts.” And all I think as what I can do for God.
• When there is pride in my life, I’m confident, about how much I’ve learned of the Scriptures, and how far I have gone in my relationship with God.
• When there is pride in my life, I always keep people at a distance.
• When there is pride in my life, I want to blame other people.
• When there is pride in my life, I’m unapproachable.
• When there is pride in my life, I’m defensive when I’m criticized by other Christians.
• When there is the sin of pride in my life, I’m so concerned to be respectable, I’m concerned about what other people think of me, and I try to protect my image and my reputation.
• When there is pride in my life, I find it very difficult to share my spiritual needs.
• When there is the sin of pride, I wanna be sure that no one else finds out that I have sinned. And I try to cover up sin. And I have this instinct to try not to reveal it.
• When there is pride in my life, I always want to make sure that no one else finds out when I have sinned, and I try to cover it up. And I find it very, very difficult to say, “You know, I'm wrong, will you please forgive me?”
• When there is pride in my life, I’m concerned about the consequences of my sin, I’m remorseful over my sin, simply because I’ve been caught, that I have sinned before God and sinned before man.
• When there is pride in my life, I always wait for others to come and ask for forgiveness, when there is a misunderstanding or a conflict, in my relationship with God.
• When there is pride in my life, I try to compare myself with other Christians, and other believers and other fellowships. And I always think that I’m better than them.
• When there is pride in my life, I’m blind. I become blind to my own heart condition.
• When there is pride in my life, I don’t think that there is anything in my life that I need to repent of. I don’t think that I need revival. Oh but I’m so sure that everyone else needs revival in my relationship with God.

Sermon Audio:

https://www.sermonindex.net/modules/mydownloads/singlefile.php?lid=16813&commentView=itemComments

Sermon Text:

https://www.sermonindex.net/modules/articles/index.php?view=article&aid=24003

2013/11/20 13:37
havok20x

Pineville, LA

Re:

Thanks, soldout!

2013/11/20 13:45Profile

Re:

Quote:
by havok20x on 2013/11/20 13:26:44

The reason I said "false humility" is because of how Paul in Colossians speaks about it. Did anyone read those verses (chapters 2 and 3)?

Everyone knows pride is sin. But from what I was reading, the heretics in Colossae were practicing stuff that looked really humble, but in reality were completely rejecting Jesus Christ as their head. It says "self-abasement" in the translation I was reading.

When it comes right down to it, sin is "anything that is not of Christ", actions or thoughts that are fleshly rather than of the Spirit (of Christ).

So, "false humility" is not of Christ, therefore false humility (a form of pride) is sin.

2013/11/20 15:07
TrueWitness

Re:

Quote by C.S. Lewis:

Humility in not thinking less of yourself, it is thinking of yourself less.

Some people have a misguided notion that humility involves grovelling in self-hatred and revulsion along with the idea that God can just barely stand them. While there is a crisis experience in true repentance of remorse and regret for a life lived apart and/or against God and love, we are meant to move on to feeling accepted and reconciled to God by the finished work of Christ on the cross and His shed blood. I have a feeling that some folks are trying to impress God and earn forgiveness by trying to act overly dramatic in their emotional display of remorse for their sins. I believe that a person can be forgiven totally by a simple prayer of confession and asking forgiveness without any emotion displayed in one minute if they are genuinely serious and sincere. Some people are genuinely overcome with emotion when God opens their eyes to their lostness and guilt and need more time to work out finding peace with God. The important thing is the sincerity of the individual. God can see the heart. He can see if someone is ginning up over-wrought emotion as a ploy to placate God. Children do this sort of thing all the time with parents when they get caught behaving badly. And they also resort to making oaths that they won't ever offend again. Never make such oaths. Even though you may really be sincere in such an oath, you are actually telling God that you are trusting in your own innate goodness (apart from Him) to make good on your promise. God will surely allow you to fall on your face. The devil will also work overtime to make certain you fail in keeping your promise. When you break your promise to God, your afflicted conscience may be overcome to the point where you avoid God, the Bible, Church and all things of God for life. Faith is shipwrecked.

Also, a humble person cannot be offended. When someone does or says something offensive, I tell myself that they have "issues" and I forgive them and pray that God will bring them higher. I well remember when before I became a Christian and even while I was a baby Christian I said and did things I now regret. Thinking about how I was shown mercy and forbearance by God and people back then, I find it easy to pass on the same mercy and forbearance to rude or downright mean people. If someone is rude or hurts me with the intent to hurt me, they obviously have even bigger "issues" and I forgive them and pray for them that God would bless them and send His Word to heal them. I don't dwell on the offense myself because "I've got it made with Jesus" and I want everyone to find Him like I did when He opened my eyes to His Word and gave me a mustard seed of faith to believe. May Christ dwell in mine and your heart by faith, being rooted and grounded in love.

2013/11/20 15:10Profile
twayneb

Joplin, Missouri

Re:

True witness: The quote be C.S.Lewis is spot on.

2013/11/20 21:46Profile
Sree

Re:

Quote:

true humility comes from obeying God.

I can try to be humble but somewhere in my walk when I am not submitting to God it will come out as false humility, or forced humility, where I am exalting myself over God's clear leading in some area.

This I believe is the best answer so far. I agree with C.S Lewis quote and it is one of my favorite one. But I believe it is very tough to measure whether we are thinking of our self less. But we can easily find our humility level based on the desire to submit. Jesus submitted to his earthly father and mother though they were imperfect compared to him.

It is easily for someone to acknowledge that he is a sinner. All most all prostitutes have no problem calling themselves prostitutes. But that does not make them humble. Knowing your problem means you are ready to be saved, a field ready for harvest. That will not make one truly humble. So luke 19 is not the definition for true humility.

But to submit to the authority that God has placed over you requires true humility. Suppose you are in a Church where you are absolutly certain that God has placed you there. But you find it difficult to submit to the elder in that Church, because you think he is unreasonable or less in education or less gifted than you then you are not truly humble. This is a fundamental reason why many of the believers are nomads, they do not have a home Church. They keep jumping church to church but never able to settle. Some of those have even given up to find a Church. All because they are not humble and they think they are too much perfect to be under submission in a church.

2013/11/21 0:55Profile
Sree

Re: True humility means submission

I want to add to my previous post by telling a story in the life of Zac Poonen, when Zac was young (late 20s or early30s) he was already getting popular for his ability to teach God's word. He was a full time minister then. He was part of a Church run by a very Godly man in India who recognized his gifts and allowed him to speak in his conferences. This privilege he gave to very few people. But one day because of a misunderstanding he asked Zac not to speak in Church anymore. It was over 2 years Zac attended the Church, never speaking a word in the meetings. Many thought that he has fallen into some kind of Sin and that is why he is not speaking anymore. But it did not bother him, he submitted to the leadership that God gave him. Now we see how much God has blessed him in his ministry. All because of the true humility found in him.

2013/11/21 1:03Profile
murrcolr

Scotland, UK

Re:

Humility, the place of entire dependence on God, is, from the very nature of things, the first duty and the highest virtue of the creature, and the root of every virtue.

2013/11/23 17:17Profile

Re: Difference Between True and False Humility

Quote:
Brothers and sisters,

What is the difference between true and false humility? I was reading Colossians 2 when I started thinking about this. Thanks!

i don't know.....but you know "it" when you're around it.

in short?...miss a few meals, ruin a few relationships, weep, get refined in a lonely fire.....and suddenly you're broken......struggling lonely saints have only true humility for food.

not crying, "woe is me", but rather "He was pleased to crush me"...or "bend me", as Evan Roberts would beseech many with anguish.

beloved, have you been broken yet?....my prayer is that process wasn't too harsh for you. God love you, neil

2013/11/23 19:52

oh! thats a Good Word, my brother!

this:

Quote:
Humility, the place of entire dependence on God, is, from the very nature of things, the first duty and the highest virtue of the creature, and the root of every virtue.

what better can be said?, except amen, neil

2013/11/23 19:54

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy