SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : Home Schooling

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
PosterThread
dann

Winnipeg, Manitoba Canada

Re: K-12

They have a similar thing some Canadian provinces - that is the government provides educational funding to the homeschooler, and in return the homeschooler has to teach the government program - which would be okay if the program didn't include various anti-christian themes (homosexuality as a natural healthy lifestyle alternative, for example).

Dan
/\/
\/\

2005/3/30 13:00Profile
moreofHim

Re: homeschool

Quote:
When I went to Public School (I live in Canada):
- we said the Lord's prayer every morning
- teachers had the right to administer corporal punishment to disobedient children
- you would be reported and taken to the office for saying D-mn!
- the most violent show on television was Starsky and Hutch.
- if you missed a class a note went home to your parents.
- only about 5% of my classmates came from broken homes.

wow, that is very different than when i was in highschool. I don't think I'll get into all the things that were going on in my highschool, but it was right out of a scene from "Fast Times At Ridgemont High". My last year of highschool, i am lucky that i graduated because i skipped classes so much to go out and party.

When Arielle comes home to tell me what is going on at her highschool, things have not changed too much. Still the same things going on and it is kind of nice because i can tell her who is doing what and why. She counsels and gives advice to as many who will listen. She befriends the losers and outcasts and gives them hope and love. She chastises the popular group who are invloved with YoungLife. Many of the popular kids go to Young Life and Fellowship of Christian Athletes at school, yet do not walk their talk- and the great thing is that she calles them on it :-P

Again, she is different.

Even though I was a professing christian in highschool, I was totally not. I was partying my brains out every weekend and rebelling. My parents should have put me in christian school then. But, then i wouldn't be who I am now. God knew what He was doing. He was in control all along- thank the Lord!

In Him, Chanin

2005/3/30 13:12Profile

Re:

Quote:
If I do send my children to public school, It would be wrong to imagine that I am sending them into the same environment that I came out of. I would be sending them into an exponentially darker system than I endured.

Amen... I graduated in 1985. We drank, smoked pot, had sex, listened to Motley Crue and goofed off. It was dark then... but I dont remember anyone [b]ever[/b] bringing a gun to school unless it was in the gun rack of your pick-up during deer season. Heck, we used to carry pocket knives around all the time, and no one thought anything about it.

Now there are metal detectors at the door.

Yea, thats where I want to send my kids.

Quote:
it was right out of a scene from "Fast Times At Ridgemont High". My last year of highschool, i am lucky that i graduated because i skipped classes so much to go out and party.

I think I remember you..! LOL

By the way, I remember that movie well. It's wonderful how God changes us. I used to love that movie... now I think it's one of the most pathetic movies ever made.

Krispy

2005/3/30 13:21

Re:

I just had a funny thought... remember back in the 80's (for those of you who are my age) how the adults just thought the youth of that era were horrible, and everything was going to hell in a hand basket?

And thats not to say they werent right... because they were... but wouldnt y'all love to go back to the 1980's now!

But

2005/3/30 13:33
kirindor

Soon to be Upton, MA

Re: A Problem with Christian Schools

Hi All,

I want to take something that Cindy said and run with it just a bit.

I am completely committed to Christian Education and have been a teacher for years. I may even soon be headmaster of a classical Christian School. We will see.

I also have a daughter with significant learning difficulties and health issues.

With my committment to Christian Education and a special needs child, it breaks my heart that there really is no place for Anna in a Christian School. Our teachers do not have that training and our schools do not have the facilities, but because of the Christian's worldview, we (Christian Schools) ought to be the best at educating a special needs child.

I wish that Christians would see this as the ministry opportunity that it is and reach deeply into their pockets to provide the necessary resources.

I hope that I haven't offended, but this is such a need.

2005/3/30 23:43Profile
kirindor

Soon to be Upton, MA

Re: A Problem with Christian Schools

Hi All,

I want to take something that Cindy said and run with it just a bit.

I am completely committed to Christian Education and have been a teacher for years. I may even soon be headmaster of a classical Christian School. We will see.

I also have a daughter with significant learning difficulties and health issues.

With my committment to Christian Education and a special needs child, it breaks my heart that there really is no place for Anna in a Christian School. Our teachers do not have that training and our schools do not have the facilities, but because of the Christian's worldview, we (Christian Schools) ought to be the best at educating a special needs child.

I wish that Christians would see this as the ministry opportunity that it is and reach deeply into their pockets to provide the necessary resources.

I hope that I haven't offended, but this is such a need.

2005/3/30 23:45Profile
Compton

Re: Good issue to bring up

Quote:

Kirindor brings up an important issue I think.

We too have a little one with special needs. Home schooling is unrealistic in my opinion, for children that need specialized therapy. Private Christian schools normally don't have the resources to build functional departments for this special area of need.

For my wife, the solution was to get involved in the public school. She started out as a classroom assistant to make sure that the experience was healthy for our son. Immediately she developed a burden for all of the children in the class and is deciding to move into this area fulltime.

It's interesting how the soverignty of God works through the "least" of us...our special needs son is used by God to expose our family to a whole world of ministry right in our backyard.

Blessings all,

MC

2005/3/31 2:25Profile

Re:

I agree... this is an area that needs to be addressed by the Christian community. Right now, it isnt. Not even in Sunday Schools is it really being addressed, and it needs to be.

Also, I commend Christians who get involved as teachers and/or administrators in the public schools. It is a mission field! I just dont believe that our younger children are called to the missionaries. But certainly adults can be used mightly of God in that forum.

Krispy

2005/3/31 8:21
lastblast

Michigan

Re:

Quote:
With my committment to Christian Education and a special needs child, it breaks my heart that there really is no place for Anna in a Christian School. Our teachers do not have that training and our schools do not have the facilities, but because of the Christian's worldview, we (Christian Schools) ought to be the best at educating a special needs child

I don't believe only Christian "Schools" ought to be the best at educating a special needs child-----a CHRISTIAN (homeschooling parent or a Christian school) should be equipped in whatever way necessary to care for such a child. Isn't there a way to get special services in a Christian school? I know I can still tap into special services, if I want, through our local school system (speech therapy, etc). Can't therapists be brought into a Private school at taxpayers expense since we all pay school taxes? Anybody know the law regarding this? Blessings, Cindy :-)

2005/3/31 15:33Profile

Re:

Quote:
Can't therapists be brought into a Private school at taxpayers expense since we all pay school taxes? Anybody know the law regarding this? Blessings, Cindy

Probably not, since it is a private school. I can just here the "church and state" issue being brought into that argument. I dont know what the laws are concerning this, but I'm quote certain it varies state to state.

Krispy

2005/3/31 15:58

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy