SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
Discussion Forum : General Topics : Discernment at Sermonindex?

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
PosterThread

Discernment at Sermonindex?

Edit: post deleted by author because unedifying.

2013/10/30 13:35
rjennings

USA

Re: Discernment at Sermonindex?

Stephen,

Should we ban all Billy Graham material on the site because of the Robert Schuller interview he did?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TNCnxA91fHE

I was disappointed in the interview but do I completely discount all that Billy Graham has done as a result? I would not. In fact, I listened to a sermon of his just last week from 1957. My toes are still aching. :-)

God bless you!

2013/10/30 14:59Profile
iceman9

New York

Re: Discernment at Sermonindex?

Stephen,

Lonnie Frisbee has been dead for 20 years. When Chuck Smith and Lonnie ministered together Lonnie appeared on fire for Christ (1968-1971). When Lonnie backslid and they separated from each other in the early 70s and Frisbee went on to work in the Vineyard Movement.

Should people judge you based on someone you ministered with 35 – 40 years ago when they separated?

You are dropping names and making vague references to “…uttered false prophecies?”

Can you provide some evidence for these “false prophecies”? Also provide some proof that he said them?

Chuck Smith is far from perfect, but let’s not be absurd with your broad statements.

2013/10/30 15:23Profile

Re:

Edit: post deleted by author because unedifying.

2013/10/30 19:13
sermonindex

"Pilgrim and Sojourner." - 1 Peter 2:11

Online!
 Re:

Quote:
What do you mean that Chuck Smith is far from perfect?

In heaven he will have a much greater reward then many of us. I find saints even myself when I started to accuse people more it was the most unfruitful time in my own life.

Over the years we have sought the Lord to have the right speakers on SermonIndex. Some speakers were added for more historical purposes. We trust the discernment of the saints also to be able to benefit from many speakers that should be listened to with discernment, ie eat the fish and spit out the bones. That must also be done with MacArthur or any godly bible teacher, MacArthur is seriously wrong on some things and we have to be mature to have grace for him in these things.

I recommend reading these short articles:

Principle 25 – Not Judging Others (pdf)
http://gospelfellowships.net/pdf/principle25.pdf

Principle 26 – Having a Right Doctrine but Wrong Spirit (pdf)
http://gospelfellowships.net/pdf/principle26.pdf

Principle 27 – The Priority of Love (pdf)
http://gospelfellowships.net/pdf/principle27.pdf

Principle 28 – Examine Yourself and Correction in Love (pdf)
http://gospelfellowships.net/pdf/principle28.pdf

Principle 29 – Being Rich in Mercy (pdf)
http://gospelfellowships.net/pdf/principle29.pdf

2013/10/30 19:42Profile

Re:

When I was in Bible College we had one guest speaker every week. Some weeks we had great speakers and other weeks, not so great. Whether the speaker was good or not so good (in my opinion), it always forced me to search the scriptures on my own to see if what was said was true or not. In this respect, the entire process sharpened my discernment, but more importantly was what was taking place in my own heart towards these men and women. Sometimes, I would get a bad attitude toward the speaker whose content I did not care for. This is where the real school of the Spirit was taking place...in my heart. Learning to love and not be judgmental in a destructive way. Yes, we all judge, all day long. We judge things that we think are good for us or bad for us. But, there is a "judging" that we can do towards people that alienates and marginalizes them. Is that a good thing to do? Do we want to get in the habit of alienating others just because we don't agree with them? If you alienated everyone that you did not agree with, you would be living in a very small world. Jesus did not do that and does not do that, today. He works with all of us, time after time to bring us in sync with Him.

I am completely for Greg and the other mods in putting whatever they want on this site from whomever they want. Whose standard would we measure these men by? Whose interpretation of the Bible would trump everyone else? I am not afraid to read anything or listen to anything on this site and then go to the Word. Many times I have learned something where I was previously completely confident I would learn nothing.

"Guard your heart, out of it flow the issues of life."

2013/10/30 20:04

Re:

Thanks Greg for your response. I will read those articles. I certainly don't mean to accuse Chuck nor do I wish to accuse sermonindex. Perhaps I gave too much credit to what is floating around the internet.

Perhaps someone can point me to a link that will help me better understand Chuck. Greg, your words speak very well of him. Would you know where I might find some of that information?

Thanks,

2013/10/30 20:30
sermonindex

"Pilgrim and Sojourner." - 1 Peter 2:11

Online!
 Re:

Brother,

Here is an autobiography of brother Chuck Smith: http://store.calvarychapel.com/cccm_store_/catalog/display.php?cartid=201310306657020&zid=1&lid=1&psku=9781597510936&mode=sp

Chuck Smith Autobiography
A Memoir of Grace

2013/10/30 20:53Profile
twayneb

Joplin, Missouri

Re:

I am reminded of Jesus asking why judge another man's servant since that servant answers to his master, and not to you. I have been in this thing long enough to know that there is no one, including me, that has it all 100% correct. I have heard John MacArthur teach things that were right on Biblically and other things that I consider totally off. I need to study to show myself approved. What I hear from another man needs to be judged by the word of God. I am not in favor of a carte blanch acceptance of any man's ministry, but where a man who had shown himself to be a faithful follower of and minister of Christ, and where that man teaches truth that can edify the body, then I am for hearing what he has to say.

Again, I am responsible as a believer to faithfully study the word so I can discern.

2013/10/30 22:30Profile
PaulWest

Dallas, Texas

Re:

Quote:
I am not in favor of a carte blanch acceptance of any man's ministry, but where a man who had shown himself to be a faithful follower of and minister of Christ, and where that man teaches truth that can edify the body, then I am for hearing what he has to say.

I've observed in my own walk that if God notices you are beginning to idolize some preacher or theologian - no matter how gifted or anointed in the Word he happens to be - a portion of his theology or a pet conviction of his will suddenly be revealed that you will not agree with to break the spell and bring your gaze back to Jesus alone.

*edited

2013/10/30 23:45Profile

©2002-2021 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Affiliate Disclosure | Privacy Policy