SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
Discussion Forum : General Topics : Homosexuality and the Gospel - the outreach

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
DEADn

Lakeland FL

Homosexuality and the Gospel - the outreach

Recently I have found myself in debates/arguments with people about homosexuality. Arguing over it is fruitless. I always go back to the standard of righteousness and who God is as my cornerstone otherwise it gets into an emotional argument and that leads to personal attacks. One persons opinion against another.

Has anyone had experience in this field and how did you handle the conversations? I Goal is to drive the conversation to the Gospel and sometimes that even means getting away from the topic of homosexuality because it becomes the elephant in the room.

Advice?

John

2013/10/26 15:37Profile
Sidewalk

San Diego

Re: Homosexuality and the Gospel - the outreach

This is tough. You are dealing with one of at least two issues that qualify for "the abomination that causes desolation."

The other is abortion, and these guys are the deepest joys in Satan's black heart.

Time for the Blood of the Lamb and the word of your testimony. Couple that with your anointing as a priest of the royal priesthood, intercede for them in your prayer. At this point they do not know that they are criminals under the judgement of a Holy God... but you do! When your prayer leads them to be awakened and convicted they will be able to see their need for a Savior. Right now, they don't have that.

"I understand that right now you do not see that you are living a life that is displeasing to God. But according to His word, you are. I am going to pray that God will reveal this to you and give you an opportunity to turn from this destructive lifestyle and serve Him as you were designed to do. You may do as you wish, He has given you that freedom. But you may not enter into His holy presence unless you turn from it and receive His forgiveness offered in the atoning death and resurrection of Jesus Christ.

The psalmist has said (73) "Surely you have put them in slippery places" so I don't know how much time you have. But when you are ready to deal honestly with God, give me a call."

2013/10/26 19:23Profile
Koheleth

NC

In summary, it is often best to not start with or focus on homosexuality. Let the Spirit of the Lord lead. We are never to be afraid of or shy away from any topic, so we are never afraid to declare the sin of homsexuality (sodomy). However, we have to realize this is not just a spiritual issue, it is a cultural, political, and community-based touchstone of our day. Therefore, it drags all of that baggage with it. Thankfully, when occasion requires, the sharp two-edged sword can slice through all of that and bring the real issues to light. But if our goal is to gain the ear and have the good news (and the bad, usually first) be heard, we need to ponder what is going on with these conversations.

I have found that discussing God's original purpose (whether preaching to a group or talking one-on-one), even going back to the Garden of Eden, and then discussing the course the world has taken can be effective. We have tried other approaches as well, as the Lord shows us how to engage our homosexual listeners. You see, homesexuals are generally much more socially and relationally aware than the rest of the population. So if you don't touch on homosexuality first thing, then you can often get the conversation going to where it needs to be: God and Christ. It has not been difficult to discuss morality and sin and such topics when we start this way. Later (in the same conversation), once they understand by our demeanor and discussion that we are not just there to condemn them, but want to have a real discussion, the Lord will often give more of an opening to talk about his standards of morality. Often we are able to end up talking about why homosexuality is a sin, but never have that as a goal. Don't speak as if homosexuals have only one sin. They are like the rest of us. They have many. I think sometimes the devil wants us to only talk to homosexuals about their sodomy. That is too narrow. God is concerned about everything.

Please be aware that this approach is not promoting being afraid to mention any sin, nor do we fear to pronounce God's judgment on any person because of their sin. But, motivated by a heart of compassion in Christ, we desire the whole message on the sinful life and God's answers to be heard. We have found this approach really opens doors to the point where we can discuss Scriptures with homosexuals, where other Christians were so cussed out by them in less than 60 seconds they had to leave, with both sides hating each other. That doesn't seem like the approach Jesus would have us go forward with. I don't see him approaching anyone that way in the Bible. There are a few listening ears out there. Show them your whole mission in life is not to announce to everyone around that they are going to hell. If you show them the love of God in Christ, they may not come to the Lord, but some of them might have a lot to think about that night. We have seen that happen. Always pray before you go.

2013/10/27 7:07Profile
murrcolr

Scotland, UK

Quote: Advice?

Pray for them and watch God work - you don't need to debate and argue, however much it is pleasing to the flesh.

2013/10/27 9:28Profile
DEADn

Lakeland FL

Re:

I usually look to steer conversations over to God because homosexuality is only a symptom of the bigger picture. Often times it is not easy to steer in this direction because the personal becomes very political these days.

A problem is that people do not have a standard of righteousness in which to judge something by. It is more of dynamic thing in which was what ok yesterday is not ok today.

The March in this community is very vile and very judgmental. I suppose I would liken it to a cornered rat. The rat is going to fight in order to flee. In this case the rat has shouted long enough to turn the tide and use Love as their antedote to make homosexuality a good and natural thing.

Just praying for the person isn't always the key to the entire thing. That seem like a cheap answer to a deeper problem because these people need to know the Love of God and that comes through people. Just praying for someone only works when I am able to display that Love to them or if I am searching for a way to get to their hearts.

John

2013/10/27 11:17Profile
murrcolr

Scotland, UK

Re:

Quote: Just praying for the person isn't always the key to the entire thing. That seem like a cheap answer to a deeper problem because these people need to know the Love of God and that comes through people. Just praying for someone only works when I am able to display that Love to them or if I am searching for a way to get to their hearts.

Just praying - I am saddened by your lack of understanding the power of prayer. Your looking for the answer to the 'deeper problem' and the answer is not you getting into their hearts but Christ getting into there hearts. Giving your self over to deep groaning while in prayer is what births people into the Kingdom of God.

I remember when I started to do it, and began by praying like this for 5 minutes a night for someone in my neighbour hood. (I didn't know who I just prayed for someone) On the Saturday a drunk woman came to my door asking me to pray for here as she had been seeing the face of Jesus in her bed at nights.

When myself and my wife another female christian prayed for her the power of God came on the woman. She jumped up and started shouting it's you, it's you and I replied no it's Jesus...

2013/10/27 19:31Profile
Sidewalk

San Diego

Re:

Wow! It is like the gifts of the Spirit are working in the modern age! A very cool testimony proving the point!

2013/10/27 19:35Profile
DEADn

Lakeland FL

Re:

Quote:

by murrcolr on 2013/10/27 19:31:01

Quote: Just praying for the person isn't always the key to the entire thing. That seem like a cheap answer to a deeper problem because these people need to know the Love of God and that comes through people. Just praying for someone only works when I am able to display that Love to them or if I am searching for a way to get to their hearts.

Just praying - I am saddened by your lack of understanding the power of prayer. Your looking for the answer to the 'deeper problem' and the answer is not you getting into their hearts but Christ getting into there hearts. Giving your self over to deep groaning while in prayer is what births people into the Kingdom of God.

I remember when I started to do it, and began by praying like this for 5 minutes a night for someone in my neighbour hood. (I didn't know who I just prayed for someone) On the Saturday a drunk woman came to my door asking me to pray for here as she had been seeing the face of Jesus in her bed at nights.

When myself and my wife another female christian prayed for her the power of God came on the woman. She jumped up and started shouting it's you, it's you and I replied no it's Jesus...

I do not know the power of God in this way. I think that there may have been a time when I saw glimpses of it but not enough to begin dancing because I knew it was God. I say this after even going to the Pentecostal church after my salvation. I had a Lutheran background.

I have posted in the past asking for testimonies of the Power of God and even with that I only read one or 2 testimonies of the Power of God.

I have often said that a person can pray all they want to but if their feet and their ways don't back it up that prayer probably didn't go anyway. I don't know how true or false that statement is but it really points to the world wanting to see the Power of God in action and the Holy Christian in person.

What happened to this lady in the end? She wanted prayer but then what?

John

2013/10/28 15:56Profile
murrcolr

Scotland, UK

Re:

The last time I saw here she living a sober life (she was a drunk then), I think she goes to the baptist church.

I would encourage you to step out in prayer, start with something small and ask God to do it and then thank God everyday for the answer to that prayer everyday until he answers. Remember to thank him everyday regardless of the thoughts that will assault your mind as your mind will be assaulted. That's the way I started something really small and progressed from there.

Quote: I have often said that a person can pray all they want to but if their feet and their ways don't back it up that prayer probably didn't go anyway. I don't know how true or false that statement is but it really points to the world wanting to see the Power of God in action and the Holy Christian in person.

We have to be the message in action (Holiness) and through the power of the Holy Ghost.

2013/10/28 21:32Profile
InTheLight

Phoenix, Arizona USA

Re:

Quote:
Please be aware that this approach is not promoting being afraid to mention any sin, nor do we fear to pronounce God's judgment on any person because of their sin. But, motivated by a heart of compassion in Christ, we desire the whole message on the sinful life and God's answers to be heard. We have found this approach really opens doors to the point where we can discuss Scriptures with homosexuals, where other Christians were so cussed out by them in less than 60 seconds they had to leave, with both sides hating each other. That doesn't seem like the approach Jesus would have us go forward with. I don't see him approaching anyone that way in the Bible. There are a few listening ears out there. Show them your whole mission in life is not to announce to everyone around that they are going to hell. If you show them the love of God in Christ, they may not come to the Lord, but some of them might have a lot to think about that night. We have seen that happen. Always pray before you go.

Koheleth, thanks for sharing the insights that you have gained from your experience, they are very helpful. It's good to see you posting here again.

In Christ,

Ron

2013/10/28 22:20Profile

©2002-2020 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Affiliate Disclosure | Privacy Policy