SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : News and Current Events : He might have lived 100 years......

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread

He might have lived 100 years......

.....but now this son of darkness, servant of satan will find that hell is forever.

--------------------------------------------

"Nazi SS captain Erich Priebke dies at 100 in Rome"

Lizzy Davies in Rome

theguardian.com, Friday 11 October 2013 11.39 EDT

Nearly 70 years after he helped perpetrate one of the most notorious Nazi massacres on Italian soil, Erich Priebke, a former SS captain who lived for almost five decades as a free man before being ordered to face justice, died on Friday in Rome, his lawyer said. Priebke was 100 years old.

Defiant to the last, the German always insisted he had only been carrying out orders when he helped co-ordinate the execution of 335 Italians at the Ardeatine caves on the outskirts of the Italian capital in 1944.

His lawyer, Paolo Giachini, said Priebke had left a final written document and video as a "human and political testament".

Riccardo Pacifici, president of Rome's Jewish community, said: "Over Priebke's death there will be no tears and there will be no laughter because neither of these will bring the victims back to life.

"There remains bitterness towards a person who never repented for what he did and who dirtied his hands with blood like all the Nazi troops. Now his victims are waiting for him up there in the hope that there will be divine justice."

In Italy there has been a sense for years that Priebke, from Hennigsdorf in Brandenburg, never faced the justice he deserved. After fleeing Europe in the years following the end of the war, he lived for almost 50 years in Argentina as a free man before being tracked down by a US television news crew and, in 1995, being extradited to Italy.

He was sentenced to life imprisonment by an Italian appeals court in 1998 but, due to his age, was placed under house arrest. When he turned 90 he celebrated with dozens of friends and supporters at an agriturismo outside of Rome, a sight that provoked revulsion among victims' relatives and Jewish groups who accused the Italian authorities of handling the war criminal with kid gloves.

In his final years, Priebke was free to go out for tasks deemed indispensable to his everyday life. In his final years he was filmed or photographed taking a stroll, eating in local restaurants and going to the supermarket. When he turned 100 in July there were concerns that the occasion could give his fans a chance to show their support once again.

Reacting to the news of Priebke's death, Francesco Polcaro, president of the Rome branch of the Anpi, Italy's national partisans' association, said he hoped the authorities would not let the funeral "turn into a show of advocacy for Nazism".

The men and boys who died in the Ardeatine caves massacre on 24 March 1944 came from all walks of life. Almost a quarter of them were Jewish, and the youngest was 15 years old. The execution had been ordered after a partisan attack on Nazi soldiers the previous day and the working logic, as Priebke would go on succinctly to tell the television crew in Argentina, was that "for every German soldier, 10 Italians had to die".

However, after identifying 330 victims to be killed, the Nazis added five more. It was Priebke's job to tick off the list of names. Although he initially denied a direct role in the murders, he later admitted to having personally killed two people.

Asked in 1994 why he had been involved in the execution, Priebke was filmed saying: "That was our order. You know, in the war, that kind of thing happened … We didn't commit a crime. We did what was ordered of us."

Appearing to tire of the questioning, he walked out of the interview within minutes, declaring to the journalist Sam Donaldson: "You are not a gentleman."

Giachini, the lawyer, said of Priebke: "The dignity with which he withstood his persecution makes him an example of courage, coherence and loyalty."

The wider view, however, was expressed by Carlo Smuraglia, national president of the Anpi. While a person's death should always be treated with respect, he said, "we cannot forget the victims of the Ardeatine caves. Erich Priebke was a criminal in the service of a bloody dictatorship."

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2013/oct/11/nazi-erich-priebke-dies-100

2013/10/11 13:32
ginnyrose

Mississippi

Re: He might have lived 100 years......

Quote:

Asked in 1994 why he had been involved in the execution, Priebke was filmed saying: "That was our order. You know, in the war, that kind of thing happened … We didn't commit a crime. We did what was ordered of us."

This is what all soldiers are commanded do do, is it not? Why single out some for prosecution when others do likewise on the battlefield or by plane or by shooting the rocket? They all kill by following orders and military training teaches people to kill...Is killing relative? A dead body is a dead one still regardless of context.

SIGH.

2013/10/16 16:58Profile

Re:

HI Ginnyrose. While I agree with your overarching point about men pressing buttons for rockets or even nuclear weapons and mass indiscriminate bombings and of course I think that is all an argument that takes place outside of the Kingdom ( no royal priests should be killing anyone) I do think that what the Nazi's did has no precedent in history. The world has it's own standards and by their own secular standards, the crimes against humanity carried out by the Nazi's sets it apart from all else.

I think honorable acts can happen on the battle-field where one man can lay his life down for another and so on, displaying bravery and a disregard for one's own life. Now I am commenting on all of this solely in the secular realm because I do not believe Christians should be involved in war. But we can say none of that when it comes to the extermination camps. This was a true new low level of evil spewed out upon humanity from the bowels of hell. It was right and proper to hunt down every single Nazi and confine them until they, unrepentent, are confined to the bowels of hell from whence that wickedness came. All actions of war and not equatable and it would be very wrong, in my opinion, to compare a Nazi to any regular soldier. Just my thoughts on the subject..........bro Frank

2013/10/16 20:49
ginnyrose

Mississippi

Re:

I understand what you are saying, Frank.

If prosecutors want to hunt down these folks, it is their privilege to do so. If killing on the battlefield is kosher then these soldiers should have no problem with PTSD - remember Pastorfrin's testimony here on SI? - but they do.

Have a good day, Frank.

2013/10/16 21:04Profile

Re:

My wife's friend was ordered into the Nazi military, but he refused to shoot. Fortunately for his family, he was knocked unconcious and then found and taken prisoner by the Americans for the remainder of the war.

No one makes you pull the trigger. You can always refuse to kill. You may pay a big price, but that is one order God is not asking you to follow.

2013/10/16 22:09

Re:

Now sister, I think you know I did not say killing was " kosher." In fact I went to great lengths to say otherwise. The state has a sword and they use it and they war against each other and so on, this has been a fact from the beginning and will be until Jesus comes back. My heart goes out to these young soldiers who have their hearts and souls crushed by the violence that they partake in and witness. Having said all that, Nazi's were an evil scourge that crawled out of hell and we have never seen it's like's before. The world could not allow that and it rightfully destroyed it until there was nothing left. This is part of the sword that the secular state's do not wield in vain. We live in a fallen world and we, the Royal priesthood, are a light to those who dwell in darkness, and that darkness includes war and violence..................Have a good day sister .....bro Frank

2013/10/16 23:02

Re:

HI Just-in,

It is a common misconception that German soldiers were or would be killed for refusing to participate in the camps. There is not a single recorded incident of a German soldier being shot for such a refusal, and there was quite a lot. Typically they would be sent to the Russian front. Now, that may be as good as being killed, but I think almost any man worth his salt would rather go and fight and die rather than kill woman and children en-masse. ..........bro Frank

2013/10/16 23:06

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy