SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : Progressive Christianity and Conservative Christianity

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
PosterThread
DEADn

Lakeland FL

Progressive Christianity and Conservative Christianity

I wrote a little blog on this but I didn't take the time to put all of my thoughts into it but I did wonder what this board things of both of these areas?

I listened to a couple of Progressive pastors this weekend on podcasts while at work. I wanted to get a feel for what it is they are doing vs. the tradition pastor. Among the things I found is this sensitivity to the emotions but as it deals more with the flesh than the spirit. One pastor actually said a few cuss words because she says that is the way she is. Another is a gay pastor or mentioned unclean gays and laughed as he said it. Yet, it said it in a way that he knew it was true but used humor to wish it away.

I also heard a story that likened demons to abstract realities to the extent that she didn't know if demons existed and frankly didn't care but she didn't care about Jesus. I also noticed that the congregation with laugh often and when the pastor would say something that was on the edge such as a foul word or something controversial in activism the crowd strongly applauded to let outside know how they stood.

I also heard a prayer that I found, the meat of it was good, but the pastor kept saying 'All compassionate, loving God' which falls in line with progessive agendas of diversity, love and acceptance. I never heard the name Jesus in the prayer. Yet, if I compare that to Conservative Christianity I would hear 4 points and a poem and not always things to relate to. There might be some talk about sin and hell and heaven but the atmosphere would be totally different. It in a better way but also maybe not in a better way as well.

What do you think?

John

2013/10/7 14:51Profile
Heydave

Hampshire, UK

Re: Progressive Christianity and Conservative Christianity

John,

Why do you want to 'play' with the apostate church? I'm not being provocative, but these 'progressive' people don't believe the word of God. They're not really progressive at all, they are as old as Satan himself and are repeating the 'old lie' of "Did God say"!.

You don't need to be listening to them. If you want to listen to something at work and don't want to listen to sermons, then just listen to the audio bible or maybe just meditate on scripture you have read earlier that day!

Lead me to the ancient paths Lord!

Edit: If conservative = not changing, but holding onto the original and 'progressive = always changing and different, then I'll be a conservative because God says "I am the Lord and I do not change".

2013/10/7 16:28Profile
DEADn

Lakeland FL

Re:

Because I want to understand what is going on with them and why they swing the way they swing. I call it critical thinking. It is like examining someone who has gone into false doctrine. They went that way for a reason and to say they are just a heretic is useless. Why did they go astray? You may not care and want to stay on the Conservative side of the fence but for me I want to know and understand what these people are doing and why they are doing it. Through it I begin to understand the cultural revolution going on in this country. I am simply educating myself just as I educate myself when it comes to some politics. I listen to some conservative and some liberal just to compare sides and I have learned alot through it.

John

2013/10/7 21:02Profile

never understood

I've never understood why man always must "define' other men....ie, "progressive"...."conservative", et al, etc etc etc.

I don't see any of those words, including most modern "theological" terminology anywhere in the Word.

heydave, that wasn't a 'slam'...or John...I find it all so wearisome and vexing....like most things in 2013.

2013/10/7 21:17

Re:

Quote:
Because I want to understand what is going on with them and why they swing the way they swing. I call it critical thinking. It is like examining someone who has gone into false doctrine. They went that way for a reason and to say they are just a heretic is useless. Why did they go astray? You may not care and want to stay on the Conservative side of the fence but for me I want to know and understand what these people are doing and why they are doing it. Through it I begin to understand the cultural revolution going on in this country. I am simply educating myself just as I educate myself when it comes to some politics. I listen to some conservative and some liberal just to compare sides and I have learned alot through it.

good...that's good, go where He leads you...pay no attention to man....or what man thinks of you, only God the Holy Spirit.

I once heard Len Ravenhill say that he heard pastors complaining, 'they need a vacation' (I guess that's part of the ten shekels and a shirt compensation package)

Len said, "no....you need a cave".

you understand?

our minds are so active, we talk talk talk.

That's why He says, "be still and....."

2013/10/7 21:24
Oracio

Whittier CA USA

Re: progressive vs. conservative

Below I will post brother Greg's post from another thread, in which he provides links to a great free book dealing with this subject:

"The labels Emergent Church, Emerging Church, Emergence Christianity, and New Christianity all imply innovative and progressive understandings of Orthodox Christianity. Like nailing jello to a wall, many have attempted to understand and define the Emergent movement only to be frustrated and confused.

At the heart of the Emerging movement is the worldview of postmodernism which teaches that truth is relative and subjective. This ebook by Elliott Nesch, Hath God Said? – Emergent Church Theology, demonstrates how postmodernism is incompatible with a biblical worldview of absolute truth and the authority of the Scriptures on various topics including feminism, homosexuality, hell, mysticism, eschatology, Jesus Christ and the Gospel of the Kingdom of God and more.

In Hath God Said? – Emergent Church Theology, the teachings of the Emergent movement are exposed in light of Scripture. Also by comparing early Church writings with Emergent writings, it becomes evident that the Emerging Church is not preaching the faith once delivered to the saints.

This book is available for FREE as a PDF file here: http://www.holybibleprophecy.org/hath-god-said.pdf

or available in EPUB and MOBI formats here: http://bookstore.booktango.com/AdvancedSearch/Default.aspx?SearchTerm=hath+god+said "

2013/10/7 21:30Profile
proudpapa

The progressive compares himself as more compassionate than the conservative, The conservative compares himself as more to holding true to the bible than the progressive, the self proclaimed remnant believer compares himself as more sincere than both the progressive and the conservative.

May God give me a heart that bleeds for this generation and sincearly desires others over myself, and may I stop supplementing the peace that only God provides with that of what the pride of comparative righteousness so easily disguises itself as.

2013/10/7 22:41Profile
Heydave

Hampshire, UK

Re:

Only minutes before I read the OP and put my post in I had stumbled across an article by a UK 'Baptist' pastor called Steve Chalke. He was using (twisting) scripture to endorse a homosexual lifestyle and marriage. This is why I responded to the OP.

Chalke declares himself as an evangelical Christian and bible believing. He has a very prominent position in evangelical circles and the media, regularly appearing on TV and in newspapers as an evangelical christian. However on many foundational Christian doctrines (including sexuality) he departs from the faith. He is well known for denying that Jesus took the punishment for our sins in atonement.

He is a very dangerous man, leading many astray and giving false assurance to many who want to live in sin and think they will still be accepted by God. His words are very subtle (like his father), using many words and arguments that do not outright deny scripture, but re-interpret then based on scandalous reasoning. We know where this comes from, but many who do not know better will be deceived by his many 'reasonable' words. This is why I say 'why play with the apostates?'

Here is just a small sample of his use of confusing words to undermine the clear teaching of scripture.

In discussing the Genesis account of man and women and that Jesus refers to it as the pattern for marriage Chalke says:
"Was the author (he means Jesus) intending to enshrine the view that all lifelong sexual unions should be exclusively heterosexual because this is a 'creation ordinance'? Or, is this simply the normative illustration, whereas the critical truths of the story lie elsewhere? If it is the former, then it is perhaps legitimate to refer to practicing homosexual sex, even within a lifelong relationship, as having 'fallen short of God's ideal' and to state that those who are not heterosexually orientated are 'in need of restoration'. But, if it's the latter, then does the 'norm' necessarily infer the 'ideal'? Or is it like the 'norm' of being right-handed, which never implies any failing of those who are born left-handed? If so, then neither of the earlier negative definitions is appropriate, but instead cause a great deal of unnecessary pain and, sometimes, terrible tragedy."

What he is saying is that the 'norm' of being heterosexual is the same as being right-handed, but being left-handed (homosexual) is not wrong, just not the 'norm'. You see the subtle use of his words ' less than ideal' and not sin. He however does not even think it is less than ideal. So you see the method. Lower the bar of the biblical view by changing words from sin to 'not ideal' and then defining 'not normal' as meaning OK.

"But I fear, lest by any means, as the serpent beguiled Eve through his subtilty, so your minds should be corrupted from the simplicity that is in Christ." (2 Cor 11:3)

2013/10/8 5:01Profile
Heydave

Hampshire, UK

Re:

Neil (HezWelling),

I agree, I don't like labels. However people give themselves labels just as much. Progressive Christianity is a movement and those in it put that name to it.

If someone calls me a conservative Christian and by that mean I hold to the traditional truths taught in scripture, then I would say "yes I am".

2013/10/8 6:05Profile

John

I would say study spiritual warfare (psychology has some good points also but errs often). I live in spiritual warfare! but boy is there understanding when you begin to understand the enemy. Like why God allows... Etc

Noah

2013/10/8 11:15

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy