SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
Discussion Forum : News and Current Events : Pastor Chuck Smith, 86, dies after cancer battle

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
PosterThread
sermonindex

"Pilgrim and Sojourner." - 1 Peter 2:11

Online!
 Pastor Chuck Smith, 86, dies after cancer battle

(CHRISTIANITY TODAY) Chuck Smith, the evangelical pastor whose outreach to hippies in the 1960s helped transform worship styles in American Christianity and fueled the rise of the Calvary Chapel movement, died Thursday, Oct. 3, 2013, after a battle with lung cancer. He was 86.

Diagnosed in 2011, Smith continued to preach and oversee administration at Calvary Chapel Costa Mesa (California), where he’d been pastor since 1965. In 2012, he established a 21-member leadership council to oversee the Calvary Church Association, a fellowship of some 1,600 like-minded congregations in the United States and abroad.

Smith was known for expository preaching as he worked his way through the entire Bible, unpacking texts from Genesis through Revelation and offering commentary along the way.

Read more at http://www.wnd.com/2013/10/pastor-chuck-smith-86-dies-after-cancer-battle/#oH6lcqBj0pG2w5Af.99

2013/10/3 11:15Profile
turn

USA

Re: Pastor Chuck Smith, 86, dies after cancer battle

With a view that disciples make disciples who make disciples of Jesus Christ, then I was part of the fruit of Chuck Smith's ministry. For that, I am eternally grateful.

From link: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chuck_Smith_(pastor)

At its beginning, Calvary Chapel operated as a cross-cultural missions organization that bridged the "generation gap" as it existed during the Vietnam War period. Calvary Chapel was a hub of the "Jesus People" phenomenon that existed at that time and was featured in Time Magazine for its success among "hippies" and young people. Calvary Chapel pioneered a less formal and contemporary approach in its worship and public meetings; for example, it did outreaches on the beach, and baptisms in the Pacific Ocean.Much of Contemporary Christian Music (CCM) has its roots in Calvary Chapel worship music. Calvary Chapel's rolling commentary-style of preaching kept the Calvary Chapels close to the text of the Bible and was readily understandable by many hearers. Calvary Chapel developed its own internal training early for multiplication of church leaders and pastors; by pioneering a more informal and contemporary style in its church practices, Calvary Chapel reached large numbers in Costa Mesa, CA and expanded easily by adding many pastors and new congregations in many locations.

2013/10/3 11:41Profile
turn

USA

Twitter: @davidguzik As for me, I will see Your face in righteousness;
I shall be satisfied when I awake in Your likeness.
Psalm 17:15 #chucksmith

2013/10/3 11:56Profile
tbsounde2

Los Angeles, CA

the world just got a little dimmer...you will be missed pastor chuck...sigh...but congratulations for finishing the race so faithfully! i look forward with hope to worship the Lord with you again soon, but with the whole family of God, face to face with our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ!

2013/10/3 16:54Profile
sermonindex

Online!
 Re:

brother Chuck Smith was a personal blessing to me, his teachings and life spoke of the truth it is Not by might nor by power but by the Spirit of the Lord. If we abide in the Lord and His Words we will bear much fruit. You can hear many of his messages here: https://www.sermonindex.net/modules/mydownloads/viewcat.php?cid=273

We will all soon be where he is.

2013/10/3 19:15Profile
JoshG

Re:

Maybe someone can help me with a struggle re- chuck smith... I evangelise to Mormons and say to them "if my teacher was a known false prophet, I would never listen to him." And then I go on to prove that their founders were false prophets. But then I felt like a hypocrite for saying it because I sometimes listen to chuck smith... This is all I know (from Wikipedia) "In his 1978 book End Times, Smith predicted the generation of 1948 would be the last generation, and that the world would end by 1981 at the latest.[7] Smith supported his convictions again in his 1980 manuscript "Future Survival," postulating that from his "understanding of biblical prophecies... [I am] convinced that the Lord [will come] for His Church before the end of 1981." He identified that he "could be wrong" but continued in the same sentence that "it’s a deep conviction in my heart, and all my plans are predicated upon that belief."[8] Calvary Chapel held a New Years Eve service in 1981 for their followers to wait for the end to occur in accordance with Smith's prediction. When the world failed to end, many disillusioned followers left the Calvary Chapel movement." ... In the OT, false prophets were stoned to death and I always said "I'll never listen to a false prophet"... ps - sorry that my grammar is a mess, lol

2013/10/4 1:37Profile
tbsounde2

Los Angeles, CA

Re:

hi JoshG,

not sure how much you know about pastor chuck and his ministry but he is a faithful man of God and you would do well to at the least show some compassion and mercy given the fact that he PASSED AWAY THIS VERY DAY...also, and just to be clear, that i am not trying to justify anything pastor chuck might have done in the past, i am certain that he has repented of his mistake...which gets to the reality that we are all human and prone to sin and error and need to be shown grace especially if we have already moved on from our past..how would you like it if someone were to label you a false prophet (basically condemning you to hell for a mistake you made in the past and have since then turned from it) and that on the very day you passed on from this life? the bible says that even a fool appears wise when they keep silent, because there is a time and place for everything, and to be honest, your words and the timing of it were not in wisdom and according to the fruit of the Spirit, namely kindness and gentleness. zeal without knowledge is presumption just as sacrifice without mercy is disobedience. let us not be so quick to write anyone off without having first put much thought and soul searching into it, but rather be quick to pray and love and build each other up in the bond of peace. this is what would be well pleasing in the eyes of our God and so i sincerely exhort you in love to do the same.

2013/10/4 3:20Profile

Re:

Hi Josh

I wouldn't worry too much when brethren get things wrong. If Chuck really believed what he was saying and lived accordingly who knows what good came of it. Some things don't matter because in the end they just amount to a wrong conviction if they are not leading people away from God. That is the real test of whether prophecy is true or false. Do they lead men away from God or to God? If I had been a young believer under Chuck's ministry I would have probably believed him. Imagine how exciting that would have been. All those years living with the expectation of the Lord's return.

The next time you are witnessing to Mormons and Satan attacks your mind with the accusation of hypocrisy you just remind him that there is one thing you really do know for sure. His [Satan's] end is the lake of fire. It is written. He won't like that I can tell you. Then get right on with explaining to the Mormons why their prophet got it wrong.

2013/10/4 15:22
sermonindex

Online!
 Re:

Here is a memorial website with some videos of brother Chuck Smith:

http://pastorchucksmith.com

we are currently featured a sermon by him on SI, he lived what he preached:

PEOPLE GOD USES - BEWARE OF AMBITION BY CHUCK SMITH
https://www.sermonindex.net/modules/mydownloads/singlefile.php?lid=10923&commentView=itemComments

2013/10/4 22:06Profile

Only one life, ’twill soon be past,
Only what’s done for Christ will last.
And when I am dying, how happy I’ll be,
If the lamp of my life has been burned out for Thee.”
C.T.Studd

Chuck Smith heard this when he was 16 years old. After being saved, he responded to The Lord's call.He was God's chosen vessel for a great move of God in the 20th century. His voice familiar to so many.

Thank you, Father for blessing a whole generation with your servant, Chuck Smith.

Thank you for honoring him here on this website, Greg

LM

2013/10/5 1:48

©2002-2020 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Affiliate Disclosure | Privacy Policy